BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

04-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
Silence
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Rear cf diffuser coming loose on corner..help!

Anyone ever had this issue? It's not holding anymore on passenger side on far lower corner. I assume best way is to retape it with some 3m, but which one?

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
the_works
BMW
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Depending on how wide the bonding flange I recommend going to autozone and get a package of mounting tap 3m #3616 . It's 7/8in. Wide and is super sticky. Make sure you clean the surface off with alcohol or soap and water.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

I'm having same issue. May need to completely remove diffuser, remove all tape, CLEAN both surfaces very well, reapply auto 3M tape to diffuser, have extra set of hands and painters tape to help hold diffuser and adhese.
Attached Images

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Silence
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

fyi - just redid mine last night with the 7/8" auto tape, and so far so good. Removal of the previous tape was a pain, but got it off after an hour or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
I used Beta Link on mine because of the heat that the exhaust puts out I didn't want to risk the tape being effected by it, even though most use the tape with success.

Only problem with the epoxy is that its definitely more permanent should I decide to switch it out in the future...

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I have found that heating the bumper and/or diffuser with a hair dryer helps ensure good initial adhesion.
      05-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I have found that heating the bumper and/or diffuser with a hair dryer helps ensure good initial adhesion.
^This and using an isopropyl alcohol solution on the area to be glued to will help with adhesion.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
I'm having same issue. May need to completely remove diffuser, remove all tape, CLEAN both surfaces very well, reapply auto 3M tape to diffuser, have extra set of hands and painters tape to help hold diffuser and adhese.
I have the same issue with the GTS-V diffuser. The fitment is off. It does not follow the contoure of the bumper so the corners lift. I'm thinking of affixing it somehow from the back of the bumper using screws or bolts on the ends. Sux for a $1k+ part.

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
I have the same issue with the GTS-V diffuser. The fitment is off. It does not follow the contoure of the bumper so the corners lift. I'm thinking of affixing it somehow from the back of the bumper using screws or bolts on the ends. Sux for a $1k+ part.
thats what i did with mine, put screw through it to keep it nice and tight
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep

Is it much of a hassle to remove the cover?

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@AUTOcouture View Post
thats what i did with mine, put screw through it to keep it nice and tight
where did you put the screws...any pics?
      05-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Is it much of a hassle to remove the cover?
The tape is still new so you won't have to sit there like I was when you came In lol, I drilled holes from the back of the bumper Into the diffuser on each corner for better fitment and also used 3m
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
where did you put the screws...any pics?
I have a challenge one, it's on the ends, no pics, and it's not easy to explain without the diffuser in front of you
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
I have a challenge one, it's on the ends, no pics, and it's not easy to explain without the diffuser in front of you
that makes sense...i thought you figured a way to do that to the ends of the arkym or Vors type I
      05-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
that makes sense...i thought you figured a way to do that to the ends of the arkym or Vors type I
I'm sure I could figure it out if I had one in front of me again
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #16
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one. I thought the fitment would be spot on but I suppose I should expect this for any aftermarket piece. Drill my bumper?

I'd be interested in seeing some pictures with screw attachment before I maim my bumper.

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The tape is still new so you won't have to sit there like I was when you came In lol, I drilled holes from the back of the bumper Into the diffuser on each corner for better fitment and also used 3m
Not the diffuser, the actual bumper cover.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I put A screw in over the exhaust tips with a speed clip on the backside. I did it with the exhaust off. My challenge diffuser wouldn't stay tight with tape.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #19
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Its best to use 3M adhesive promoter pads after cleaning on the bumper surface area where the tap will make contact. We started shipping all our parts that use tape with a little packet that includes this. We found it the best way to ensure good sticking. On any diffuser panel, from any maker, the installer is the key component to good fitment ( within reason of course )

Your installer should score the tape in 2 areas so you end up with 3 tape sections. Dog ear the end of each section to make pull tabs, hold it up to the car with the tabs sticking out to be sure its center and remove the center-most tape backer while holding it against the car. This allows the part to contour to the body panel and have as much surface area of tape making contact. With now a left and right section left, you do the same, starting towards the center and working towards the end of the part pushing it against the bumper from the front and rear as you go along. Repeat on the opposite side. I know it seems like it should just be a peel and stick on task, but using the right install technique is really key. The same process applies to front lips, trunk spoilers, side skirts etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #20
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge
Its best to use 3M adhesive promoter pads after cleaning on the bumper surface area where the tap will make contact. We started shipping all our parts that use tape with a little packet that includes this. We found it the best way to ensure good sticking. On any diffuser panel, from any maker, the installer is the key component to good fitment ( within reason of course )

Your installer should score the tape in 2 areas so you end up with 3 tape sections. Dog ear the end of each section to make pull tabs, hold it up to the car with the tabs sticking out to be sure its center and remove the center-most tape backer while holding it against the car. This allows the part to contour to the body panel and have as much surface area of tape making contact. With now a left and right section left, you do the same, starting towards the center and working towards the end of the part pushing it against the bumper from the front and rear as you go along. Repeat on the opposite side. I know it seems like it should just be a peel and stick on task, but using the right install technique is really key. The same process applies to front lips, trunk spoilers, side skirts etc.
Do you have a photo of the tape location and dog ear tabs you are describing for a diffuser?

Seems like a 2 or 3 man project for best results

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #21
circlek
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM_Challenge View Post

This is a good reference for mounting. I would like to follow these instructions to mount the Challenge Race Diffuser I PAID for a year ago and have yet to receive even though I hear continued promises of it shipping soon.
      05-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
GTM_Challenge
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by circlek View Post
This is a good reference for mounting. I would like to follow these instructions to mount the Challenge Race Diffuser I PAID for a year ago and have yet to receive even though I hear continued promises of it shipping soon.
Challenge has not taken any funds/orders on diffusers for open orders and will not until we we have it back on the shelf. Dealers have asked to tell the customers the same. If you have a pending order, i would suggest requesting the funds refunded from your dealer so that you are not out any money. We are still keeping orders submitted in the system so that those that want them once on hand have first dibs and only ask payment from our dealers at that time.

Right now the Coupe race diffuser mold is being redone in CNC aluminum for a pre-preg carbon part. This new method being used will ensure the consistant finish we desired as well as faster production times.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help on your order as well.
Appreciate 0