BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #89
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Let's remove the APR from the equation. Does your decision still stand?
I still have my E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #90
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
I'm highly considering this as well. My brother's friends father is the general manager at a Nissan and I received an amazing price by him if I decided to trade my car in. However, the reason I had not jump ship is:
1. Maintenance
2. APR
3. Every day driving

I'll start with 1. The maintenance on this car is absolutely ridiculous. We sat down and discussed that maintenance for this car is VERY expensive; the brakes alone run nearly $10,000.

2. APR. The best APR I could find with my credit score (811) was 4.9% apr and that's from a credit union my fraternity brother's father run's. .9% to 4.9% is a pretty big difference.

3. The suspension on this car is stiffer than the M3's highest EDC mode.

Keep these in mind when you decide. Both cars are dream cars to some people's extent it's a win in either scenario. It only depends on what you're looking for.
1. that is not correct only a moron would pay the dealership to do the brakes at 10K. you can get better after market calipers and brakes for half that price LOL

2. yes, APR is shitty. 7.9 %

3. Sure it might be stiff. Everyone told me the GT3 was a harsh riding car and unbareable. I thought the 350z rides worse than the GT3. The ZR1 worse than the GT-R. Seriously if you complain about the ride in the GT-R, then you have no business ever owning a super car. Thats how it is. It cant ride like a lexus and perform like a ferrari. I suppose if youre coming from a lexus or a oldsmobile then yes its very harsh. Ive been in mustangs that felt more uncomfortable to ride in. It rides like a track car. You feel the road.
      11-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #91
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
3. Sure it might be stiff. Everyone told me the GT3 was a harsh riding car and unbareable. I thought the 350z rides worse than the GT3. The ZR1 worse than the GT-R. Seriously if you complain about the ride in the GT-R, then you have no business ever owning a super car. Thats how it is. It cant ride like a lexus and perform like a ferrari. I suppose if youre coming from a lexus or a oldsmobile then yes its very harsh. Ive been in mustangs that felt more uncomfortable to ride in. It rides like a track car. You feel the road.
I agree that what one considers stiff will vary based on your past experience. Before buying my IS-F i had read how uncomfortably stiff the suspension was, but it didn't seem that bad to me. Granted, the car I had before was a Ford Mustang with the Ford Racing suspension system and that car was murder on all but the smoothest roads. My M in comfort mode feels like I'm riding on a cloud compared to either the F or Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #92
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
I agree that what one considers stiff will vary based on your past experience. Before buying my IS-F i had read how uncomfortably stiff the suspension was, but it didn't seem that bad to me. Granted, the car I had before was a Ford Mustang with the Ford Racing suspension system and that car was murder on all but the smoothest roads. My M in comfort mode feels like I'm riding on a cloud compared to either the F or Mustang.
+1 I agree as well. I would tell you to drive a GT-R but good luck having a dealer let you. Anyways, I am done posting on this thread. It needs to die lol.
      11-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #93
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosety2009 View Post
Just wanted to point out that the actuall Porsche run was 7:27, a few tenth of the seconds slower than the GTR at 7:26 (done by a former f1 driver).

It's nice to know that the turbo and GTR can compete at this level despite Porsche's engine and weight numbers. FYI the GTR has 485hp and 434ft/lbs of torque and weighs right at 3800 lbs.

Keep in mind there is Nissan GTR Spec-v that's available in Japan now. The HP is the same as the regular GTR, however, it gets carbon ceramic breaks, torque over boost control which gives it an additonal 20lbs for 8 seconds, an adjusted suspension, and drops approximately 200lbs, via rear seat delete, lighter wheels, and other hear and there's.

That car has yet to do a ring test, but in all fairness the price of it will be up in the turbo territory. The breaks alone cost 50k.

That said I'm a fan of the Porsche, but can only afford the regular GTR. If they are indeed that close in performance, at least for me it's a no brainer to go with the GTR. All things being equall, competition is a great thing, and I'm glad Nissan can get Porsche worked up enough to make them try new things with the car. End game is we all win!
not sure who is right or wrong in this case. but if this is true, the gtr is amazing indeed. less power to weight ratio, still faster around the nurg. imagine nissan putting this same engine/tran, awd, suspension, brake, etc into a smaller tighter package around the same weight as the turbo, it is gonna be a monster.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #94
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT

Well, I'm going to throw out there that I wouldn't get it just on looks alone. personally think it's fuggly.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #95
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
Well, I'm going to throw out there that I wouldn't get it just on looks alone. personally think it's fuggly.
the turbo looks like a beetle to me. not feeling it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #96
BMW750
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 750

The chassis of the GT-R is flimsy and not as solid as any BMW. After 50k miles youll start to understand why its a japanese car, the chassis aren't made to last, unlike BMW's
      12-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #97
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW750 View Post
The chassis of the GT-R is flimsy and not as solid as any BMW. After 50k miles youll start to understand why its a japanese car, the chassis aren't made to last, unlike BMW's
Do you have any evidence of this? Real world experience? The GT-R chassis is known to be one of the stiffest on the market right now. That is one of the reasons why the ride is so rough and stiff.

Just wondering where you got your facts to make such a statement. If this is merely experience from owning a commuter Nissan such as a Sentra, then I don't think you can make such a blanketed statement.

The GT-R is a built from the ground up car with almost zero compromise. The chassis is almost one piece. This adds weight, but also helps add tremendous stiffness to the chassis.

Let's not forget, the M3 is based on a standard 3 series. There's only so much you can do.

http://www.gtr-world.net/en_r35gtr-special/
http://www.gtr-world.net/en_r35gtr-s...-review-1.html
http://www.gtr-world.net/en_r35gtr-s...-review-5.html
      12-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #98
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Do you have any evidence of this? Real world experience? The GT-R chassis is known to be one of the stiffest on the market right now. That is one of the reasons why the ride is so rough and stiff.

Just wondering where you got your facts to make such a statement. If this is merely experience from owning a commuter Nissan such as a Sentra, then I don't think you can make such a blanketed statement.

The GT-R is a built from the ground up car with almost zero compromise. The chassis is almost one piece. This adds weight, but also helps add tremendous stiffness to the chassis.

Let's not forget, the M3 is based on a standard 3 series. There's only so much you can do.

http://www.gtr-world.net/en_r35gtr-special/
http://www.gtr-world.net/en_r35gtr-s...-review-1.html
http://www.gtr-world.net/en_r35gtr-s...-review-5.html
+1 ... dont know where some of these people come up with their facts (my bad I meant suppositions).

I wonder if anyone even has 50k on the clock in their R35
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #99
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

The GTR is a car plenty of people love to hate.

Be it insecurity or defensiveness, I only get ridiculous negative comments on forums. Never by friends or in person by muscle car enthusiast or euro lovers or even Harley owners. Just forums.

Anyone else?

For the record, I drove a 1972 Beetle once. Total rattle trap. All Volkswagen products must be junk too.
Appreciate 0