BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

From 335i to M3... 6 months review

I had this '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT exactly 6 months and 3k miles... My prior car was 335i Sport 6MT...

Here is what I have to share with my fellow members:

Don't listen to guys saying M3 does not have enough torque... I never notice such thing... it is a myth and absurd... I mean, 414 HP on a light coupe!!!! Who are they kidding? Who cares about few pounds of Torque more or less that is used for start off? Once you start rolling it really don't matter that much... and M3 just keeps developing crazy power that never dies down only keeps exploding way pass the red line!!!
This is a very very powerfull car and the handling is just out of this world! And that is the problem! You don't notice the speed... before you know it you are doing 100 mph and don't even feel it... very dangerous. That's why these cars crash a lot... too powerfull, too fast.
There are threads on here about M3 Torque and some really smart guys explain that torque isn't the most important, but the gearing is! Yes, Gears! M3 gearing is superb! You will know it when you drive a 6 MT M3 and so is DCT for that matter..., not the brand spanking new one, but a properly broken-in one... When M3 is broken-in it is like a different car!
Before break-in it feels a bit lazy and rough, but after break-in it is very quick on gears, tight and smooth!

Technology for driving performance... there are so many settings for any driving condition and or style... it is like having several cars in one! Power-Throttle Response Settings! Steering Assistance Settings! Damper-Ride Firmness Settings!!! Any setting in any combination for any condition, mood or style!!!
And your favorite is programmed and saved into a magic "M" button!!! When M button programmed for performance,- Push the button and M3 becomes ALIVE!!!

I actually find it a lot of fun driving M3 through NYC... Pot holes? I really don't care about potholes and bumps... I always avoid those and never hit any!... maybe I'm just a cautious good driver but I avoid potholes all together... It is very easy to remember where the pothole is and next time you can approach it much faster and avoid it like a race car driver! So when I drive my usual route I know where every bump is and knowing in advance means going much faster! hahaha
I think M3 is perfect for the city, atleast it is for me. I have 6MT and rowing through those gears and listening to high revving engine is just such a thrilling joy! This car makes me smile all the time! ... taking off at green light, ramps, corners, tunnels... everything is just going so fast in NYC, M3 fits right in! In city driving, I am mostly in 2nd or 3rd gear... 1st is just for take off... but I often start off in second as well...
Some days I'm the slowest driver out there... I just enjoy the whole car, every switch, component, detail... Other drivers and their passengers looking and some staring at my M3 in admiration makes me smile as well and makes me happy I just take middle lane and go my way hahaha

Driving highway... that is where the problem is... M3 wants to go faster! When you approach 80mph, this car is just urging you to push for more, the faster you go, the smoother, lower, tighter this car gets... Atleast I can vouch it feels like that,- thanks in part to Steering Servotronic Sport Mode and re-mapped EDC and Power Sport Plus setting... Really, it is like this M3 becomes even lower to ground the faster you go pass 80mph... Steering gets tighter and the car just pulls straight like a locomotive... Unbelievable feeling! I am definitely keeping this car when the lease is up!

If you are going to use this M3 for daily commute, it is even more comfortable than 335i... the seats in M3 are better, even the steering wheel is better! I once again, highly recommend M3 Cloth Seats! The most comfortable I have ever experienced! I'm in the line of work of Physical Therapy, so I know what the back should feel like when seated,- it should get good support! Cloth Seats are firmer than Leather. Cloth Seat feels firmer but "lighter" to the touch too!
When your back is against it, it just feels light to the touch... This Cloth is some very high tech BMW engineered material... In cold weather,- Heated Cloth Seat heats up twice as fast and feels hotter than leather... in Summer though, the seat is always nice! Never gets scorching hot like leather does!
Cloth Seat is Standard Free of Charge Option... so you save a few thousand $$$!

When driving M3 daily, be ready to go to Gas Station twice as often as opposed to 335i you drive all week on one fill up... In city driving I get 15.5 mpg... on highway I get 22 mpg.... and that is if I behave! hahaha

M3 is absolutely awesome all around car! Enjoy it!
Attached Images

Last edited by dimabimmer; 02-23-2011 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Glad you enjoy the car so much but NYC is no way to enjoy this car. Just my $.02
      02-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Nice writeup, love the M in the city
      02-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
I had this '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT exactly 6 months and 3k miles... My prior car was 335i Sport 6MT...

Don't listen to guys saying M3 does not have enough torque... I never notice
such thing... it is a myth and absurd... I mean, 414 HP on a light coupe!!!! Who are they kidding? Who cares about few pounds of Torque more or less that is used for start off? Once you start rolling it really don't matter that much... and M3 just keeps developing crazy power that never dies down only keeps exploding way pass the red line!!!
!
i try to prevent my engine from exploding "way pass" the redline
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Nice review man.. congrats and 6spd is the way to go!
      02-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Congrats! The car looks good.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
i try to prevent my engine from exploding "way pass" the redline
funny guy!

RedLine is like The LAW,- you just don't break it, don't go to the other side!

I never go pass the red line in M3, but it feels like this V8 can take it... it just keeps developing more power as you redline it! ... I guess you feel the difference comparing to 335i where power just gets cut off abruptly at 6800 rpm
      02-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

great review - that's exactly how I feel about my m3 ..!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

This review told me absolutely nothing expect you obviously like your car... congrats
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
slimflem
get driving!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

i'm so happy you love your M3 dude! i love my M3 so much too!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

awesome read. man i can't wait to get my hands around that fat, juicy steering wheel...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

both cars are great, glad you are enjoying your M

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

nice review bro, congratsz on the M!
      02-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
masamune
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Nice car and review! The gas station charges extra for credit cards?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
jackka
Rep
Drives: 2011 Camaro

Quote:

Don't listen to guys saying M3 does not have enough torque... I never notice such thing... it is a myth and absurd... I mean, 414 HP on a light coupe!!!! Who are they kidding? Who cares about few pounds of Torque more or less that is used for start off? Once you start rolling it really don't matter that much... and M3 just keeps developing crazy power that never dies down only keeps exploding way pass the red line!!!
This is a very very powerfull car and the handling is just out of this world! And that is the problem! You don't notice the speed... before you know it you are doing 100 mph and don't even feel it... very dangerous. That's why these cars crash a lot... too powerfull, too fast.
There are threads on here about M3 Torque and some really smart guys explain that torque isn't the most important, but the gearing is! Yes, Gears! M3 gearing is superb! You will know it when you drive a 6 MT M3 and so is DCT for that matter..., not the brand spanking new one, but a properly broken-in one... When M3 is broken-in it is like a different car!
Before break-in it feels a bit lazy and rough, but after break-in it is very quick on gears, tight and smooth!

Technology for driving performance... there are so many settings for any driving condition and or style... it is like having several cars in one! Power-Throttle Response Settings! Steering Assistance Settings! Damper-Ride Firmness Settings!!! Any setting in any combination for any condition, mood or style!!!
And your favorite is programmed and saved into a magic "M" button!!! When M button programmed for performance,- Push the button and M3 becomes ALIVE!!!

I actually find it a lot of fun driving M3 through NYC... Pot holes? I really don't care about potholes and bumps... I always avoid those and never hit any!... maybe I'm just a cautious good driver but I avoid potholes all together... It is very easy to remember where the pothole is and next time you can approach it much faster and avoid it like a race car driver! So when I drive my usual route I know where every bump is and knowing in advance means going much faster! hahaha
I think M3 is perfect for the city, atleast it is for me. I have 6MT and rowing through those gears and listening to high revving engine is just such a thrilling joy! This car makes me smile all the time! ... taking off at green light, ramps, corners, tunnels... everything is just going so fast in NYC, M3 fits right in! In city driving, I am mostly in 2nd or 3rd gear... 1st is just for take off... but I often start off in second as well...
Some days I'm the slowest driver out there... I just enjoy the whole car, every switch, component, detail... Other drivers and their passengers looking and some staring at my M3 in admiration makes me smile as well and makes me happy I just take middle lane and go my way hahaha

Driving highway... that is where the problem is... M3 wants to go faster! When you approach 80mph, this car is just urging you to push for more, the faster you go, the smoother, lower, tighter this car gets... Atleast I can vouch it feels like that,- thanks in part to Steering Servotronic Sport Mode and re-mapped EDC and Power Sport Plus setting... Really, it is like this M3 becomes even lower to ground the faster you go pass 80mph... Steering gets tighter and the car just pulls straight like a locomotive... Unbelievable feeling! I am definitely keeping this car when the lease is up!

If you are going to use this M3 for daily commute, it is even more comfortable than 335i... the seats in M3 are better, even the steering wheel is better! I once again, highly recommend M3 Cloth Seats! The most comfortable I have ever experienced! I'm in the line of work of Physical Therapy, so I know what the back should feel like when seated,- it should get good support! Cloth Seats are firmer than Leather. Cloth Seat feels firmer but "lighter" to the touch too!
When your back is against it, it just feels light to the touch... This Cloth is some very high tech BMW engineered material... In cold weather,- Heated Cloth Seat heats up twice as fast and feels hotter than leather... in Summer though, the seat is always nice! Never gets scorching hot like leather does!

When driving M3 daily, be ready to go to Gas Station twice as often as opposed to 335i you drive all week on one fill up... In city driving I get 15.5 mpg... on highway I get 22 mpg.... and that is if I behave! hahaha

I'm glad the OP likes his car very much, but in all honesty, I have to say the review itself reads a bit retarded. (I just mean that it has no real insightful information with ridiculous comments like the M3 being a light coupe and about going way past redline as well as the "WAIT! BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!" kind of tone.)

How is it that a writing like this passes as a nice/great review where everyone has nothing but nice things to say here when I also see on this forum someone simply asking about the validity of the powerdome of the M3 totally get flamed out and made fun of repeatedly?

I mean I completely agree that it's much better to overlook and smile back even at ridiculous or unintelligent posts, but why doesn't it apply to all posts then?

If I get flamed for saying this, oh well. But the disparity is dumbfounding to me...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #16
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

^^^LOL! Good point. I think most members just wanted to share in his enthusiasm rather than spend the time critiquing his grammar.

That "power dome" thread was created to annoy. It accomplished that.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #17
Glop
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E93 / 2007 335 coupe

^^ +1
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
jackka
Rep
Drives: 2011 Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
That "power dome" thread was created to annoy. It accomplished that.
Having read through it, I didn't think the question was brought up to annoy anyone, eventhough many responded as such. Some of the explanations and answers posted by respected members of the forum were actually very interesting. I kind of laughed while reading Bruce's story of how he had suggested the LS3 would make a better engine in the M3 and his description of what ensued. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #19
ilidon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
2009 335i  [7.00]
nice to know another PT having this beast too! Though i dont enjoy driving in manhattan, i do love it driving in the suburbs especially that straight away in BQE towards GCP. Nice read OP!

[IMG]http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #20
M666 SLL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Quote:

...so which one do you prefer...? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #21
zeeman335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3

Great review and glad to know that I inspire Dima to write it!

+1 :P
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #22
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
OP.So how many miles has you M3 covered in total?
Appreciate 0