BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #23
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
FRS, hands down.

the 370z is garbage....badly made and vulgar. the FRS is definitely entertaining. get a Manual-----I drive 120 miles/day in and out of NYC...if i can do it, you can do it.

the FRS isn't about maximum speed---it's about enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Stay away from the 370Z worst engine I have ever driven. Just tracked the nismo and non nismo. The car revs so rough and had so much vibration through the clutch I thought the motor was blown or down a cyclinder.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Stay away from the 370Z worst engine I have ever driven. Just tracked the nismo and non nismo. The car revs so rough and had so much vibration through the clutch I thought the motor was blown or down a cyclinder.
+1 refinement is an afterthought in those cars
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #26
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I've never been a fan of the 370Z, and almost feel like it gives off a worse impression than the FRS/BRZ.

All options considered, if you are looking for a decently sporty car, but something that gives off a good impression, I would probably look at a C250 coupe, or the new CLA250. They might not be the best performers in any sense, but you have an M3 and Benz does still scream class/luxury.

If you are going the Asian route though, I would definitely take a G37 coupe or even a Hyundai Genesis coupe over both the FRS and the Nissan - if only for impression sake.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I've never been a fan of the 370Z, and almost feel like it gives off a worse impression than the FRS/BRZ.

All options considered, if you are looking for a decently sporty car, but something that gives off a good impression, I would probably look at a C250 coupe, or the new CLA250. They might not be the best performers in any sense, but you have an M3 and Benz does still scream class/luxury.

If you are going the Asian route though, I would definitely take a G37 coupe or even a Hyundai Genesis coupe over both the FRS and the Nissan - if only for impression sake.
Impression, impression and impression .
? ? ?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post

I'm not asian but I love my g37 lol.

G37 really sounds like a great match for what you want though. If you think they are plain, I don't blame you but with only a little bit of modding they can really look awesome. Before you judge though, just ignore all of the "stance" people. I find it ridiculous what they do, my mods are all function based and I love my car!!!

Let us know what you go with.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #29
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I'd get an EVO X MR.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #30
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

370z is the way to go. i alsome went down the 370z TT route in stead of getting a M car.

its more of a man car, how aggressive it sits. FRS is well kind of a pussy car.

^ will get flamed for that i know
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #31
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
I actually liked the roughness of the 370Z when I test drove one last december, haha. It made it feel like more of a muscle car in a way with the rawness and such. Clutch engagement point was pretty high though. That took some adjusting.

Blind spots on the 370Z are horrible. That could actually be stressful if you change lanes often in your daily driving.

I only say I liked it though because I only drove it once. I'm not sure if it would've been livable on a daily basis.

The old VQ35 in the 350Z was generally better. It was smoother and sounded nicer. The VQ37 does pack quite a punch though.
      10-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #32
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

I'm not sure I understand why somebody with a DCT M3 would want a newere 370z auto as a daily driver? It's going to cost you more than the depreciation on your M3 and it's a much less fun, refined, and fast car.

It's like somebody with a 911 turbo getting a 911 carrera as a daily...If anything get a 6mt g37. Those are fun and actually have some practicality and niceties that you may want in a "daily"
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
I'm not sure I understand why somebody with a DCT M3 would want a newere 370z auto as a daily driver? It's going to cost you more than the depreciation on your M3 and it's a much less fun, refined, and fast car.
Maybe to him the M3 a non daily-drivable supercar?

Around here they're every fresh-outta-grad school 26 year-old's beater.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #34
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

the 370z is way better than the Frs. And the mod potential is also much higher. It's a pretty good sports car other than the slightly rough engine note. Ignore the naysayers. But I do concur with others. The M3 is a GT car and is more suitable for daily driving, as opposed to the FRS or 370z which are more focused sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #35
robguenther13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Preordered 2014 M4

Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6 auto is a totally awesome DD car, quick enough to give you some speed satisfaction, but refined enough people won't think you are a Dbag. I have had nothing but compliments on mine. <30k, too.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #36
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post

It's like somebody with a 911 turbo getting a 911 carrera as a daily...If anything get a 6mt g37. Those are fun and actually have some practicality and niceties that you may want in a "daily"

...On top of that, the gas mileage of the 370z averages out fairly closely to the E92. I'm with the camp that doesn't understand why the OP isn't DD'ing his E92. It seems really silly. My M3's were driven EVERYWHERE.

And on the topic of Porsche......

...when I purchase my 911 Turbo/GT2/GT3 eventually, that bad boy will be driven everywhere too. Don't be surprised to find me stuffing groceries from Stater Bros. and Sprouts in the hood-trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 View Post
Maybe to him the M3 a non daily-drivable supercar?

Around here they're every fresh-outta-grad school 26 year-old's beater.
Yeah, pretty much here in So.Cal too. Hell, some of the college students here drive M5's, M6's and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #37
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT

So here's the update: I still haven't had a chance to test drive the 370z but did have a chance to test drive an Evo X MR, I will say I was fairly impressed. SST tranny is very impressive but in terms of mods im limited (which could be a good or bad thing depending how you see it). Positives are that it is a sedan, 3k and a few days at AMS could yield 350whp however the downside is if anything goes wrong with your tranny you're sorta short in terms of the price you'll pay to fix it. So the question truly is, is the possible headache worth it? I'm also considering the reliability, any advice?

I did look into the g37 and will have to test drive before a render a decision- still 370z looks like a solid choice based on the fact that I feel as if a drop, volk wheels, exhaust and intake will leave me happy with a solid DD.

In terms of price though the FRS also continues to be a solid runner. Cheap, easy to mod, but lacks power... If only the frs came stock with FI... We can only dream right. As an added note, also it lacks HP, the FRS is a cheap track car is I ever decided to go down that route as well.

Now for all those wondering why the M is not the daily- I'm supercharging the car, prob a 650 kit thus not the most optimum choice in terms of a daily.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #38
e90Nick
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: White e46 M3

I would stay away from 370z, or get a frs/BRZ manual. If you don't like that, the focus st seems to be a pretty solid car besides the FWD. Also there is the genesis coupe. My friend owns the 3.8 and loves it!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #39
OOO
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: in the slow lane

Between those two I would get the 370z. FR-S just doesn't appeal to me.

Are you considering the G37 or MINI?
      10-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't looked at a mini and haven't considered the g37. Lol it's pretty crazy how the opinions don't sway one way. I've pulled this same exact poll on google and on so many different forums, just like ours, the decision is a clear split one. I think the reality is that all of these cars have their strengths and weaknesses. In the end it's simply personal preference.

Hence here's my decision. I'm probably sticking with an FRS. Why? Simple- as much as I would like another powerful car as my daily, why would I need it? My M will be the power I want when I need it. Modifying the call is going to be cheap, and yes the interior may not the the best but in terms of aftermarket seats etc... There's enough choices if I want to go down that route.

Other things I considered, although I could get an evo or z for 17-20K, they're going to be used (with a min of 15k miles) and 9 times out of 10 they will have some wear (just the nature of these cars and how most people use them). I could get the frs for 22-23k new out the door, I'll still have warranty and when I get out of warranty ill just turbo or supercharge the car if I feel the need to do so (there will be cheap used kits out on the market by then). All in all, a cheap reliable option to have fun in while keeping my gas intake average for now.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #41
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM3DCT View Post
I haven't looked at a mini and haven't considered the g37. Lol it's pretty crazy how the opinions don't sway one way. I've pulled this same exact poll on google and on so many different forums, just like ours, the decision is a clear split one. I think the reality is that all of these cars have their strengths and weaknesses. In the end it's simply personal preference.

Hence here's my decision. I'm probably sticking with an FRS. Why? Simple- as much as I would like another powerful car as my daily, why would I need it? My M will be the power I want when I need it. Modifying the call is going to be cheap, and yes the interior may not the the best but in terms of aftermarket seats etc... There's enough choices if I want to go down that route.

Other things I considered, although I could get an evo or z for 17-20K, they're going to be used (with a min of 15k miles) and 9 times out of 10 they will have some wear (just the nature of these cars and how most people use them). I could get the frs for 22-23k new out the door, I'll still have warranty and when I get out of warranty ill just turbo or supercharge the car if I feel the need to do so (there will be cheap used kits out on the market by then). All in all, a cheap reliable option to have fun in while keeping my gas intake average for now.
You might consider a Limited BRZ, the interior is a little nicer than the FRS and includes heated seats, should you care. The FRS has a smidge more oversteer stock, but if you're modifying, you'll change that quickly anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #42
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You might consider a Limited BRZ, the interior is a little nicer than the FRS and includes heated seats, should you care. The FRS has a smidge more oversteer stock, but if you're modifying, you'll change that quickly anyway.
Thanks for the feedback and yeah I've definitely looked at the limited BRZ, the only downside is that I can't justify paying about 8k more over the frs for just heated semi leather seats, push to start and navi. I'll keep my eye out though and see if the prices begin to drop on these now that the 2014 model is out.

In regards to the oversteer, I agree!! I thought I might have been the only one but other have also said the same. Regardless I'm dropping the car on some eibachs as soon as I get it and slapping some meaty tires on enkei wheels. Some time in the future maybe, and that's a big maybe, some coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #43
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM3DCT View Post
Thanks for the feedback and yeah I've definitely looked at the limited BRZ, the only downside is that I can't justify paying about 8k more over the frs for just heated semi leather seats, push to start and navi. I'll keep my eye out though and see if the prices begin to drop on these now that the 2014 model is out.
$8k? Isn't the BRZ msrp only another $300?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #44
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

So are you getting the FRS in manual or autotragic?
Appreciate 0