BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: daily moped

Thumbs up Innotech valvetronic exhaust review. Pics. Dyno. Video.

After much research, I finally decided to pick up a set of Innotech valvetronic exhaust. This wasn’t talked about much when it came into the scene. Could be due to its price point. But after I was pointed in the right direction, I found a good vendor that offered IPE at a hard-to-resist intro price. Very knowledgeable about the products they carry, good people, good pricing. Definitely would do business with again.

Quality

The packaging was solid. Lots of foam and padding. Neatly packed and all parts were accounted for. I was pleasantly surprised at the craftsmanship of the exhaust. The welds were perfect. I liked that there were a lot of etching and labels on nearly every removable part of the whole system. Shows they took the time to address the little things. Definitely well put together. The guys at EAS were also very impressed at the level of detail and quality.

Install

EAS did a great job fully integrating it to the car. Sammy and Steve worked their magic and knew exactly what to do, running the vacuum hose into the car, wiring the IPE ECU remote….etc. It is not as simple as a straight bolt-on but they did a fantastic job. The fitment was also excellent. We all agreed that it was an 8.5-9 out of 10, which is pretty much as good as it gets.

Performance

My car is a 2008 and I have updated the software to the latest. I also installed a BMC filter. These are all factors that would affect the dyno results. So out of fairness, I didn’t think my car would fairly represent what IPE alone would do for our cars.

Side note: I highly recommend for everyone to get the SW update and all the coding from Tom at EAS. I think this is something has been undervalued. I have the headlight amber delete, side mirror folding, windows roll down, and latest SW update so far and love all of them. It’s great how Tom can help you customize these little things to unlock more features or even to help the car run smoother. I’m sure there’s a huge list somewhere on EAS site but if it’s too overwhelming, Tom can customize individual packages to match each person’s preference as well.

Actually, here is it:
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...eas-bmw-coding

Ok I digress. Performance.

Since my car wasn’t the prime candidate to find out what IPE is all about, and I was dying to know, I enlisted the help of my friend with a 2011 e93 M3. He is the first and only owner of the car with stock intake, engine, and exhaust, ideal for direct comparison of before and after IPE.

Dyno.

I originally got the F1 version as shown in the pictures then later paid a little more to get the non-F1 x pipe as well. Difference between F1 and non-F1 is in the x pipe. These are the results of non-F1.

Maybe we could’ve gotten more out of it but we were absolutely thrilled to see a healthy +15hp and +10ft lb of torque! This was very good result but what’s even better is the fact that there is consistent gain across almost the entire power band, usable power that is there every step of the way. This was big because I’m sure most of us don’t spend too much time near the 7k rpm range. The version I ordered has cat bypass near the second O2 sensor. Most of the time I actually don't have any CEL but it does come on from time to time. When it does come on, it manages to go away on its way after a while. Doesn't really bother me since CEL is almost unavoidable with primary cat deletes. Later I learned that I could have requested for IPE to remove the cat bypass at no extra cost. Tom commented that if those were removed, it probably would have freed up at least another +5hp or so. Oh well. In the end, we were all very pleased with what we saw.

Overall experience

I wanted something different from the typical deep sounding and droning exhaust. A lot of them, after a while, start to all sound very similar (boomy) too. Innotech's price range falls somewhat closely below Akra. So naturally, that was my target of comparison. No doubt that Akra wins in materials because it's Ti and IPE is not. I've never owned Akra so I can't speak for its quality but I'm sure it is top notch. That said, IPE's quality seems to be very good as well. The conservative +15hp, +10ft lb tq gain and consistency across the entire band are definitely good enough for an exhaust of this caliber. So the trade-off I narrowed it down to is this: Akra with weight saving vs IPE's valvetronic technology.

With Akra, you get Ti and better weight saving, which is important. But in my opinion, unless you are serious about track and every lb matters to you, which I think most of us are not, I’d much rather have the ability to control the exhaust volume/tone. Plus, Akra's exhaust note has always been a little on the quiet side for me. Not as aggressive as I'd like unless you really push it. Would I feel a difference in just daily commuting if I had the lighter (but more expensive) Akra? Of course. But in the end, it was much more worth it to maintain pretty much the same level of performance and be able to change my exhaust note from "comfortable" to "intoxicating" at the push of a button. IPE won me over with its better pricing and valve controls and I’m glad it did.

(Don't take this the wrong way, I am not slamming Akra, not sure if that's possible anyway haha. This is just my comparison and personal opinion in my decision making.)

Aside from comparisons, IPE does very well holding its own. Each time I get in the car, I can enjoy it fully without having to worry about it being constantly too loud for cops, family, neighbors....etc. The fact that there is no drone is huge plus too. You can also set a target rpm by which the valves open automatically in “auto” mode. I really like this feature. Setting the rpm was very easy to do. Took me less than a minute. Once you set it, you press the “auto” button on the wireless key fob to put the system in auto. I’ve set mine at 4k rpm. So now, when in auto mode, 0-4k rpm, my valves are closed. But when I push it over 4k rpm, the valves open instantaneously and stay open until the rpm drop below 4k. It is very useful and convenient that you can dictate this. A cool selling point.

I believe IPE’s valvetronic makes the exhaust a much more sophisticated system both mechanically and electronically over the common bolt-ons. It gives the drivers best of both worlds. Valve closed, it sounds like a BMW performance exhaust, perfect for driving the kids/clients/wife/gf around and morning commutes. Open valves, it transforms into an exotic beast unlike anything I've heard on the M3 before. Unexpectedly sexy. I still can't get used to it sometimes

Huge thanks to Tom, Steve and Sammy at EAS for all of their time and effort. Much appreciation to the team at www.lmted.com on getting me the best pricing on IPE anyone can find. Highly recommend it if you’re thinking about it, or even if it’s just to ask questions. I felt very taken care of and was treated with respect and honesty.

Last edited by ucla bruin; 09-12-2012 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
78mao
Major
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F10, F13, current->F80, F15 X5

Garage List
2015 M3 BMW M3  [1.00]
this exhaust sounds exotic! I have to say, heard many many other exhausts for m3 and nothing sounds close to this especially valves opened driving. heard it in person and i wish they have one for my car!

sick exhaust!
      09-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Tommiexboi
Mod whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Sold :( Audi A4 now

That friend he's talking about is me haha..

This exhaust is surreal, sounds tame and with one touch of a button it sounds like an exotic ... i peed a little when my car was on the dyno haha.

Definitely on my wishlist!
E93 2011 M3 - Sold
B8 A4 - WTF?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Looks good.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

^Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

looks great bro!
      09-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

great review. I have the same axle back paired with a challenge sport pipe, and I couldn't be happier. best setup I've had thus far, and you can't beat the duality.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
EAS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: VF620 M3

Great and well-engineered system. Love the fact of the valvetronic system is based off of throttle position in AUTO mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
motorolla250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M3

Great review but let me get this straight... Not only are you promoting a shop that you own but also a product that you sell via said shop. Sounds to me like you should purchase a sponsorship on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorolla250 View Post
Great review but let me get this straight... Not only are you promoting a shop that you own but also a product that you sell via said shop. Sounds to me like you should purchase a sponsorship on the forum.
i dont think he owns innotech... or are you talking about EAS?
      09-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
motorolla250
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
i dont think he owns innotech... or are you talking about EAS?
"Much appreciation to the team at www.lmted.com on getting me the best pricing on IPE anyone can find."
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
"Much appreciation to the team at www.lmted.com on getting me the best pricing on IPE anyone can find."
ohhh okay!
      09-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Sounds absolutely amazing. Is it me or is there a big hole on top of the xpipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Nice, the tips look like a good diameter too. I never understood why the Orem tips are so small. They don't have to be huge but as is they are like pea shooters
      09-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious so let me answer this on 2 fronts.

I don't think this review warrants any forum sponsorship because there is no attempt to make sales and no disclosure of pricing. It is what it is, a review. And it's pretty common for reviews to give thanks for all parties involved.

Last time I checked, my business is overseas and not called EAS, Innotech, or lmted. I paid EAS for labor and dyno. I paid Alex at lmted for the exhaust.

Only thing I can think of is that I let them use my car for photoshoot and advertising on their site and that's what you saw? . If you're referring to any deals I received from anyone in exchange for whatever I did, I don't mind sharing if you want to PM me so we can keep the review clean

Thanks!

Last edited by ucla bruin; 09-13-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
motorolla250
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla bruin View Post
I'm curious so let me answer this on 2 fronts.

I don't think this review warrants any forum sponsorship because there is no attempt to make sales and no disclosure of pricing. It is what it is, a review. And it's pretty common for reviews to give thanks for all parties involved.

Last time I checked, my business is overseas and not called EAS, Innotech, or lmted. I paid EAS for labor and dyno. I paid Alex at lmted for the exhaust.

Only thing I can think of is that I let them use my car for photoshoot and advertising on their site and that's what you saw? . If you're referring to any deals I received from anyone in exchange for whatever I did, I don't mind sharing if you want to PM me so we can keep the review clean

Thanks!
Sorry, you're right. I was misinformed. This advertisement...I mean review is completely without any bias whatsoever.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Haha. I don't know what sponsorship he's talking about because I dished out thousands of of my own dollars to purchase this exhaust. If IPE is telling you they gave out a FREE set, then I'm going to have problems with lmted but I don't believe they did. You can check with whomever you'd like (IPE, EAS, lmted, my accountant?), that I did not receive this for free.

Now, obviously you are Rimier Motorsports, why hide behind this user name? And to me your posts are biased against me. When I was researching and contacted IPE, they didn't direct me to you guys. Please don't turn this into a forum war because of something out of my control. I'm sure you know this, there are multiple vendors in the US that now carry IPE.

For the last time, I don't know where IPE is getting his info from, but I do not run lmted and do not own lmted. In your private email, it was pointed out that lmted is tied to IPE as a vendor but I have no idea how IPE would know who I am. Looks like there was a miscommunication from lmted to IPE perhaps. If lmted referred to my car as their own to IPE, I have no problem with that, especially it's all over the site. I like how they operate just like I'm a fan of EAS, Forgestar....etc. If Tom from EAS wanted to use any of my cars for anything, all he has to do is ask. That's what Alex did.

Instead of trying to discredit me for whatever reason, I think we can just agree this is a good product (since you guys sell it) and hopefully you guys can benefit from this review!

Last edited by ucla bruin; 09-13-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
motorolla250
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla bruin View Post
Haha. I don't know what sponsorship he's talking about because I dished out thousands of of my own dollars to purchase this exhaust. If IPE is telling you they gave out a FREE set, then I'm going to have problems with lmted but I don't believe they did. You can check with whomever you'd like (IPE, EAS, lmted, my accountant?), that I did not receive this for free.

Now, obviously you are Rimier Motorsports, why hide behind this user name? And to me your posts are biased against me. When I was researching and contacted IPE, they didn't direct me to you guys. Please don't turn this into a forum war because of something out of my control. I'm sure you know this, there are multiple vendors in the US that now carry IPE.

For the last time, I don't know where IPE is getting his info from, but I do not run lmted and do not own lmted. In your private email, it was pointed out that lmted is tied to IPE as a vendor but I have no idea how IPE would know who I am. Looks like there was a miscommunication from lmted to IPE perhaps. If lmted referred to my car as their own to IPE, I have no problem with that, especially it's all over the site. I like how they operate just like I'm a fan of EAS, Forgestar....etc. If Tom from EAS wanted to use any of my cars for anything, all he has to do is ask. That's what Alex did.

Instead of trying to discredit me for whatever reason, I think we can just agree this is a good product (since you guys sell it) and hopefully you guys can benefit from this review!
I've stated the facts that have been presented to me and that's where I'm going to leave it. The only reason I'm responding now, is to hold you to your last comment (that is now on it's 3rd revision). Good day
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That's fine. But please make sure you do your due diligence that facts are correct before you present them, especially if you're going to use it to accuse someone.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
ucla bruin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Now maybe we can get this back onto the right track.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

That thing is louder in person....love ur bbk

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
m3 hoonigan
Hoonigan
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Hey Rimier, it doesn't look too good on your part to pick this petty fight. The point of the thread is that IPE sounds like sex and made decent power, which is something I'm interested in. Obviously you guys, lmted, and Romy need to work out your facts but I personally don't care really care.

I'm surprised you'd be attacking this. Let's make love, not war. lol.

Heard the exhaust in person before and it sounds incredible!
Appreciate 0