BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

01-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #1
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

LA California: Street Racing

Took another life.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=6583681
      01-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

A 2004 Toyota Solara, driven by a 19 yr. old college student at 5:40 am. What an unnecessary waste of a life. It only takes a foolish second with cars being what they are today. Teenagers haven't changed, but the weapons we give them have. All those hours possibly spent on video games, don't translate into real life and death situations.

A police detective said the driver may have been "engaged in some type of speed racing," as the vehicle was reportedly traveling speeds upward of 100 miles per hour.

"If you're going to go fast, I mean this is your ideal place to do it because it's a long stretch without any stops," resident Ana Assaf said.

Low horsepower vehicles and midnight to 8 am. curfews for all drivers under 21 would help. There is no need for a teenager to be driving any car with much more than 4 cyl./125 hp.

From my perspective, I would never allow any teen under my financial control to drive anything that can exceed their driving experience and capabilities. I would pay for extensive driver training before even letting them on the road by themselves.

I can't imagine what the family is going through.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
These stories are almost as old as the automobile itself. Cars may not have been as fast in the past, but they had nowhere near the safety features of modern cars. Though it's possible that accident rates may have risen (probably in line with cars being more available), fatality rates have probably dropped.
      01-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
These stories are almost as old as the automobile itself. Cars may not have been as fast in the past, but they had nowhere near the safety features of modern cars. Though it's possible that accident rates may have risen (probably in line with cars being more available), fatality rates have probably dropped.
Its true. You can kill yourself in anything. I mean a Toyota Solora though? That thing is a couch with wheels.
      01-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Its true. You can kill yourself in anything. I mean a Toyota Solora though? That thing is a couch with wheels.

I agree that you can kill yourself in anything, but it takes a hell of a lot more effort in something slow. I'm living proof.

I started out with an '86 Cavalier and an '84 Chevette. I street raced them both, but no one could ever tell because by the time you actually exceeded the speed limit you would run out of room and the race would be over.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

The 2004 Solara is available with a 3.3 liter V6 - 225 hp., which puts it in the same class as the 128. This about double the HP I would think any 19 yr. old needs to get around town, to school and to work at the mall. I don't know if this car had the V6, but based on circumstances it is probably a safe bet. The coupe had the 2.4L I-4 157 HP engine as standard, the convertible had only the 3.3 l V-6.

The Solara convertible was unveiled at the 2004 Chicago Auto Show in February. Sporty SE models offer a new 3.3-liter V6 rated at 225 horsepower. The new V6 comes standard on the Solara convertible and is optional on the Solara coupe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Kind of alarming since I was involved in a car crash a month ago.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

So there is zero evidence that points to "street racing" yet they have no problem speculating about it and therefore mentioning it repeatedly. Solid reporting and police work.

Some kid was going faster than he should have and lost control. End of story.

But hey, through "street racing" in the title and you get more viewers. Cause it's all about ratings and "protecting the people."
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
So there is zero evidence that points to "street racing" yet they have no problem speculating about it and therefore mentioning it repeatedly. Solid reporting and police work.

Some kid was going faster than he should have and lost control. End of story.

But hey, through "street racing" in the title and you get more viewers. Cause it's all about ratings and "protecting the people."

I'm thinking there's more to it than they are saying in the article for them to point so strongly to street racing rather than just someone driving too fast.

At one point it implies that other cars were involved and left the scene. If that's really not the case, then I agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Monaco35Dream
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i, 96' Talon Tsi AWD

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Let's just all agree to be safe out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I'm thinking there's more to it than they are saying in the article for them to point so strongly to street racing rather than just someone driving too fast.

At one point it implies that other cars were involved and left the scene. If that's really not the case, then I agree with you.
They did say "there was another car on the street in the area" but that sounds a little too vague. Also other cars being on the road doesn't automatically imply racing either. Maybe some guy was heading to work, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco35Dream View Post
Let's just all agree to be safe out there.
Absolutely!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Not a parent, but my opinion is that people need to be properly trained not just automatically limited by hp/displacement. For example, a well trained 15 year old that has respect for life can easily be trusted with a firearm, but some dumbass kid who says 'look at my daddy's gun!' shouldn't be trusted with that same firearm. Bottom line, know your kids and treat them accordingly. If you have to limit the kid to a slow car because you don't think he/she is responsible enough, maybe he/she just shouldn't have a drivers license. Just my .02, people seem eager to innact laws/rules rather than educate.
      01-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I also agree that they are speculating about the racing as they have seem to have no evidence, Fear sells and sways opinions.
      01-06-2009, 03:08 AM   #14
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I also agree that they are speculating about the racing as they have seem to have no evidence, Fear sells and sways opinions.
This country was established in fear. It's really all we know. (Well bush knows)

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
Not a parent, but my opinion is that people need to be properly trained not just automatically limited by hp/displacement. For example, a well trained 15 year old that has respect for life can easily be trusted with a firearm, but some dumbass kid who says 'look at my daddy's gun!' shouldn't be trusted with that same firearm. Bottom line, know your kids and treat them accordingly. If you have to limit the kid to a slow car because you don't think he/she is responsible enough, maybe he/she just shouldn't have a drivers license. Just my .02, people seem eager to innact laws/rules rather than educate.

+1000000000000

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #16
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post

Low horsepower vehicles and midnight to 8 am. curfews for all drivers under 21 would help. There is no need for a teenager to be driving any car with much more than 4 cyl./125 hp.
Well theres A LOT of people here who are in their 20's and drive the 135i with WELL OVER 350hp possibly 400+ which is double wat that Solara has... that doesnt make sense if ur gona put it that way... and out of curiosity.... if thats your opinion how old does someone have to be drive a new Lambo, Pagani or a Bugatti? that have over 500-1000hp??? lol

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:

I was 20 when I purchased my 135i, with my own money. I am now 21 with no accidents, speeding tickets, or incidents. Creating laws to try to prevent something like that from happening is like banning sex, it just won't work. They will find a way around it. Education is key, which is why I agree with you about driver training courses. They are invaluable to learning how to drive properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #18
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

Quote:
ARES45
listen im 19 and have a 135 on order. I was trained well and am a great driver and my first car had 250 hp. I have friends that are idiots though and their driving scared me i would not set foot in the car with them. i have a healthy respect and fear of death and god so maybe that helps to. It is all in the parenting.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
135i_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyjr15 View Post
listen im 19 and am a great driver and my first car had 250 hp.
Listen Chewy, you seem like a good kid and all but you're not helping your case. No 19 year old is a great driver, I don't care what the circumstances are. Overconfidence is one of the most dangerous traits a driver can have.

Lester: I bought my Elise about a week after my 21st birthday. I have yet to get any tickets or be involved in any accidents. I'll agree with everyone else that education is the key, not restriction.

Driving involves three basic abilities: Accelerating, braking and turning. More power will help only acceleration. Lower weight helps all three.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #20
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

go play in traffic

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #21
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_ View Post
No 19 year old is a great driver, I don't care what the circumstances are. .
Your statement is wrong. Driving experience doesnt carry as much consequence as people like to believe. After a few years of driving most people will already have experienced a very large portion of the situations someone might have to encounter.
I see great teenage drivers and shitty middle age drivers every day. You cant just lump an age group together and slap a designation on them. Sure many teens are sub-par drivers but does that majority represent the whole? no.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #22
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I can definitively say that even though I took HP Driving instruction as a teen, I thought I was the cat's ass as a driver. I look back, and I was an idiot, and certainly am not a shadow of the driver I am today. Heck, I still am an idiot, but I still take instruction, and am still learning. Btw, I'm an instructor myself, but know my limitation a LOT more. When you're 19 (or 21, for that matter), the "limitations meter" doesn't register too well. Now, you may think that your meter is working fine, just as I did, but FF 25 yrs, and look back. Guarantee that you'll agree.

Not trying to be an "old bastard talking down to kids", but just sharing what any of the older drivers here would say.

That doesn't mean that I agree there should be legislation against hp/age, but it does mean that if you fall in the demographic of the person who was killed here, you do think that you're a better driver than you actually are. (otherwise you wouldn't be going 100mph in a Solara in a residential area)
Appreciate 0