BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

11-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Dealer Suggests Fuel Injector Cleaning?

Brought in my 2009 E90 for 60,000 mi service. Dealer suggested we clean the injectors, although this is not an official BMW recommendation. Bogus way to make money or necessary? BTW, oil was last changed by them 10,000 miles ago, and their computer reading of my electronic key data says no oil change needed for ANOTHER 15,000 miles. Sound right to you?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
Brought in my 2009 E90 for 60,000 mi service. Dealer suggested we clean the injectors, although this is not an official BMW recommendation. Bogus way to make money or necessary? BTW, oil was last changed by them 10,000 miles ago, and their computer reading of my electronic key data says no oil change needed for ANOTHER 15,000 miles. Sound right to you?
Maybe...yes....i think perhaps they also follow the service interval booklet of the car .
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

BMW does push dealers to sell injection flushes...

Your service interval does not sound correct, that would be an oil change interval at 25,000 miles, no bueno. Does your car have comfort access, and or did you give your advisor the spare key that you never use? That can also sway the service mi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.

Last edited by nbennettksu; 11-17-2012 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post

Your service interval does not sound correct, that would be an oil change interval at 25,000 miles, no bueno. Does your car have comfort access, and or did you give your advisor the spare key that you never use? That can also sway the service mi.
I know what you mean as it does sound like a strange interval. I gave the dealer my main key, which he updated by plugging into the car this am. His answer about the oil change interval is as follows. "Even though I drive 500 miles per week, it is steady highway driving, which the BMW computer feels does not require an oil change at this time." As the car owner, I have always been confused about the oil change recommendations for the E90. Why would an engine, built to such minute tolerances, revving to over 8K, not need much more frequent oil changes?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Is an injection flush a waste of time and money?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Generally speaking - yes. If you drive highway miles (get the motor warmed up) and use a good grade of gasoline (not Costco) with good detergent additives, you don't need a professional injection cleaning. If you feel the need, try a can or two of Techtron (?) in your gas tank. The dealer that I used in CT would add a can of this (BMW brand is the same) once a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well its going to be more beneficial for higher mi cars, I'd say above 50k; BMW wants it to be pushed while cars are still under warranrty. Is it going to hurt, aboslutely not... will it help?.. Probably.

What is your dealer asking $$ wise for the service? $200 bones or less every 30k isnt bad, and I'd say money well spent.
Quote:
Use of the BMW fuel system cleaner and additive regularly will help maintain engine performance, improve mileage and extend the life of the fuel injection system.
-- from a BMW rep
Quote:
Quote:
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well its going to be more beneficial for higher mi cars, I'd say above 50k; BMW wants it to be pushed while cars are still under warranrty. Is it going to hurt, aboslutely not... will it help?.. Probably.

What is your dealer asking $$ wise for the service? $200 bones or less every 30k isnt bad, and I'd say money well spent.
-- from a BMW rep
I'm off warranty and spending lots on mods, so I have to ask the cost and decide.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Not sure why BMW would "push dealers to sell injection flushes" when they don't get anything for them. Premium fuel is already required and nearly always contains cleaners. It's the DEALER who want's to push any service to make more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
Generally speaking - yes. If you drive highway miles (get the motor warmed up) and use a good grade of gasoline (not Costco) with good detergent additives, you don't need a professional injection cleaning. If you feel the need, try a can or two of Techtron (?) in your gas tank. The dealer that I used in CT would add a can of this (BMW brand is the same) once a year.
Where's your proof Costco gas is bad, and will lead to dirty injectors??

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Where's your proof Costco gas is bad, and will lead to dirty injectors??

Every "manufacturer" of gasoline draws from the same tanks in a geographic area. The only difference being the additive package that each adds to it. I don't KNOW, but I highly suspect that Costco, BJ's or local grocery chain will spend the money to develop (or buy) the highest quality additive (detergent) package. However, if you feel comfortable with the same Costco gas that the scoccer mom puts in her suv certainly go ahead and use it. I confess that I have bought a tank or two at BJ's, but I'd certainly not feed my baby that gas on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just what I thought. Just talking out of your ass.
I'm not saying Costco gas is awesome, I just want to see it caused problems if anyone is going to trash talk it.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

I've never had any issues with Costco on five BMWs over 8 years.

Costco near me has good flow (clean filters) and are very busy (fresh gas).

BTW, they recently reformulated their gas:

http://www.costco.com/gasoline-clean-power.html

"As our valued member, you expect Costco to always offer the finest quality products at the best possible price. Gasoline is no exception. Costco has closely studied fuel additives and engine deposits, and conducted extensive fuel tests at nationally-recognized laboratories. As a result, we decided to increase the detergent additives in our fuel to provide a better value to our members. Cleaner engines run better, run longer, and they pollute less.

Costco gas with Kirkland Signature Clean Power detergent additives contains five times the EPA detergent requirement. Clean Power doesn't just keep your engine clean - it also helps remove any existing deposits. Costco Gasoline - Something good just got better!"
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Yes, IMHO.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Khrishna
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Just pour some techron or BG-44k in your next fill up
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't buy the injector stuff either.

However, I still can't figure out the long intervals between oil changes for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #16
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

For myself as I cherish this car and taking into account how much it costs. I do an oil change ever 5000 miles. To me 200 is well worth it. I add a can of injector cleaner every 3k miles too. But at 11k miles on my M3 I will do they 150.00 professional one next time i"m in.. Again, maybe it doesn't need it but keeping the cat tip top is worth it to me personally.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not saying Costco gas is awesome, I just want to see it caused problems if anyone is going to trash talk it.
Gee, I stand corrected. Next time I'll be sure not to mess with you!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Khrishna
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
Gee, I stand corrected. Next time I'll be sure not to mess with you!
Internt tough guys are funny ..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #19
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrishna View Post
Internt tough guys are funny ..
Internet Bullshitters are annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #20
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure why BMW would "push dealers to sell injection flushes" when they don't get anything for them. Premium fuel is already required and nearly always contains cleaners. It's the DEALER who want's to push any service to make more money.
right
Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

My last car, an Evo 8 (also using exclusively premium gas) had no issues running up to 95k miles with no injector cleaning. As others have said, if the car has always consumed top tier premium, there's enough detergents in there to clean the injectors. Those injector cleaners from autoparts stores are for cars that consistently use 87 octane, so it's a waste of money to buy those.

As others have said, will paying $200 hurt the car? No, will it help, not so sure. Then again, you didn't own the first 60k miles of this car, so maybe it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #22
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
I've never had any issues with Costco on five BMWs over 8 years.

Costco near me has good flow (clean filters) and are very busy (fresh gas).

BTW, they recently reformulated their gas:

http://www.costco.com/gasoline-clean-power.html

"As our valued member, you expect Costco to always offer the finest quality products at the best possible price. Gasoline is no exception. Costco has closely studied fuel additives and engine deposits, and conducted extensive fuel tests at nationally-recognized laboratories. As a result, we decided to increase the detergent additives in our fuel to provide a better value to our members. Cleaner engines run better, run longer, and they pollute less.

Costco gas with Kirkland Signature Clean Power detergent additives contains five times the EPA detergent requirement. Clean Power doesn't just keep your engine clean - it also helps remove any existing deposits. Costco Gasoline - Something good just got better!"
ha! which confirms that they did cut corners on their premium gas in the past. It's likely okay now for all high performance cars that require premium.
Appreciate 0