BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
To go Individual Paint or Not... (Jerez vs. Azurite)

So.... in Canada we have a choice of *some* Individual options. (US owners, nothing to be jealous of, as our M3s cost significantly more )

My favorite colors are the very dark blue or black ones.

I heard that Jet Black is bad for swirls (and my salesman told me to avoid it). So I was leaning a bit more towards Jerez... but then I thought, "Frak, I'm spending so much money on an M.... maybe I should get Azurite?? It seems to be a bit bluer, and without the slight purple-ish tint that Jerez sometimes has... p.s. Midnight Blue is not on the Canadian website, but I suppose I could always ask my dealer if it's possible and if so, how much more it would cost...

I know it's a personal decision whether or not the difference between Jerez & Azurite is worth $4000 (n.b., the $4000 would include piano black, eucalyptus or maple anthracite trim), but I thought I'd ask for your thoughts anyways.....

In addition, if my car gets chips or gets hit and needs to be repainted or something, how hard is it to get matching paint or a matching paint job? Anybody know?

Thanks!

Last edited by JulieDriving; 07-28-2011 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
I don't think any of the other dark colors would be much better at hiding swirls than Jet Black... Azurite is a gorgeous color though - I would think any reputable paint shop would be able to match the factory paint based on the code

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

You already have a black 335. Why would you get a black M3? There are some adventurous blues or even Dakar yellow to choose from. I'd get crazy or just go Jerez.

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksi View Post
I don't think any of the other dark colors would be much better at hiding swirls than Jet Black... Azurite is a gorgeous color though - I would think any reputable paint shop would be able to match the factory paint based on the code
Thanks.

There was a thread (forgot which one) about an Individual color car where one of the posters said matching up the paint color on such a car was going to be a b*tch, which is why [said] poster said he would never go Individual...

I could ask my dealer.... but they know less than me(!) about the car...
      07-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
You already have a black 335. Why would you get a black M3? There are some adventurous blues or even Dakar yellow to choose from. I'd get crazy or just go Jerez.
You do have a point...
      07-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Quote:
Thanks.

There was a thread (forgot which one) about an Individual color car where one of the posters said matching up the paint color on such a car was going to be a b*tch, which is why [said] poster said he would never go Individual...

I could ask my dealer.... but they know less than me(!) about the car...
Any dark color will show swirls the same, Jerez or Azurite will be no better than Jet black.

As for matching the color, a good shop like IND can do it no problem. IND painted pieces and shipped them to me and they were a perfect match! Please realize I am extremely anal about paint and I also used to think that paint was impossible to match..... IND proved me wrong on that.
      07-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Any dark color will show swirls the same, Jerez or Azurite will be no better than Jet black.

As for matching the color, a good shop like IND can do it no problem. IND painted pieces and shipped them to me and they were a perfect match! Please realize I am extremely anal about paint and I also used to think that paint was impossible to match..... IND proved me wrong on that.
Thanks for your input BMRLVR. That reassures me.

I LUV your Individual set-up btw. Awesome Moonstone/ Amarone/ Piano Black...
      07-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

It's easy for a paint shop to match a standard paint finish when they can pull the code off the strut tower. I don't know how it would work with an individual color.

And anyone who thinks Jet Black will hide swirls is GRAVELY mistaken.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep
Drives: TransLink

Save the money you would in an individual option and have the vehicle wrapped in whatever colour you would like It'll still be considerably cheaper and you'll have complete paint protection!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

I think you're making a huge mistake by going with the darker colors. As an artist I can tell you that the M3 has unlike most cars has most of it's charachter in it's from, meaning the bulges and sublte folds in the body. You aren't able to see that with a darker color. There's just a huge majority of people who will agree that the M3 doesn't look good in lighter colors, and almost everyone in the know thinks so, I've spent 3 months researching the car and seen every color and option in person and even the salespeople agree by a wide margin the lighter colors look better so overall I think it's a huge mistake to get an M3 in a darker color, and especially to spend money and go out of your way to get it in that darker color.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I think you're making a huge mistake by going with the darker colors. As an artist I can tell you that the M3 has unlike most cars has most of it's charachter in it's from, meaning the bulges and sublte folds in the body. You aren't able to see that with a darker color. There's just a huge majority of people who will agree that the M3 doesn't look good in lighter colors, and almost everyone in the know thinks so, I've spent 3 months researching the car and seen every color and option in person and even the salespeople agree by a wide margin the lighter colors look better so overall I think it's a huge mistake to get an M3 in a darker color, and especially to spend money and go out of your way to get it in that darker color.

If you're telling me that doesn't look good you need to PM me with the address of your crack dealer so I can get some..
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 04:07 AM   #12
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep
Drives: TransLink

The second thread I've seen relating a black M3 to crack abuse
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Maybe this will help you decide...

Jerezschwarz, Saphireschwarz, Rubinschwarz...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
I don't think any of the other dark colors would be much better at hiding swirls than Jet Black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
These two statements are not correct.

I have two "black" BMW's - a Jet Black M3 and a Sapphire Black 135.
The Jet Black car has been babied with hand washing and treated with figurative white gloves overall. Despite that it readily reveals any swirls and blemishes when viewed at any angle in most lighting.
The Sapphire Black car has been treated respectfully, but not with the same care. It's been taken through good car washes. It does not reveal swirls under most viewing. Yes, it will give up some evidence under the right angle and light, but it is much more forgiving than the Jet Black.

Sapphire Black is also not nearly so sensitive to the unavoidable dust that settles on a car within minutes of washing.

Overall, SB has 90% of the star quality of JB, with 20% of the problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
I'd say forget about dark colors and go Silverstone II. Too bad they don't offer Sparkling Graphite, I love it on my 08.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

For individual I would consider MOnte Carlo, Moonstone or frozen gray.
all with rust brown extended
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #17
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post

If you're telling me that doesn't look good you need to PM me with the address of your crack dealer so I can get some..
I think that pic actually proves my point really well. Most pics taken by cameras try to bring out the detail in black by doing auto exposure, but with this car, it's more realistic.

As you can clearly see the black hides every single part of the car that's supposed to be special. It just looks like a big black blob. All I see is headlights, chin spoiler, wheels and the turn signal, then black blob.

The M3 just looks like a regular car in profile, Jay Leno has actually said that in his review of the car, that at first glance it looks like a regular car. The last thing you want is to reduce an M3 down to a blob because then it brings out the fact it's a normal car.

The thing to do with an M3 is to show off it's sublte features as much as possible.

Compare the pic you just posted to this:

Yours = black blob

This = special car

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
gr8one88
tru blu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Individual M3 ESTYblau

black is black blah boring get blue or white or moonstone or something cool. black gets so much dirtier and gets so much hotter and you can see it at night and it just looks like a black benz you dont want a black M car black isnt exciting M cars are exciting get an exciting color man for real. no offense its just my 2 cents. i cant stand black cars i will never own one
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I think that pic actually proves my point really well. Most pics taken by cameras try to bring out the detail in black by doing auto exposure, but with this car, it's more realistic.

As you can clearly see the black hides every single part of the car that's supposed to be special. It just looks like a big black blob. All I see is headlights, chin spoiler, wheels and the turn signal, then black blob.

The M3 just looks like a regular car in profile, Jay Leno has actually said that in his review of the car, that at first glance it looks like a regular car. The last thing you want is to reduce an M3 down to a blob because then it brings out the fact it's a normal car.

The thing to do with an M3 is to show off it's sublte features as much as possible.

Compare the pic you just posted to this:

Yours = black blob

This = special car

Oh come on, Legion, that's a load of crap. Just because you're a photographer does not mean you are the last word on the assessing the visual reception of the M3 in different colors (obviously something that is completely subjective). I think we can all agree that car looks good in every color. Yes, lighter colors may show the lines more, but darker M3s are far from "black blobs."

The pic above (Bapesta206's car) is awesome and i can see every single line on that car.

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Well I agree, I think you all need to keep getting white/silver/blue/ect colored cars. The less Black "Blobs" the better, I say!
      07-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
You do have a point...
I had a black 335 with red interior and although I loved that combo, I had to get something different or I know I would have regretted it later. I really liked Jerez and if I was going to get a dark color that would definitely have been it, but in the end, the only real choice for me was MR. AND I LOVE IT!
      07-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #22
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

OMG so many arguments.. OP just get what you want.. in the end you will make the decision and us...

if u dont like a change buy the black or whatever special color, if you want something different use the money on the options not on the color though...

since i didnt read your thread much i assume that you ask regarding swirl marks. All dark colored cars are very visible when it comes to swirls specially black or purpliush black whatever it is if it has a hint of black swirl marks will just show up and obvious.