BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Venting about East Coast Salting!

I don't know about other people who live on the East Coast but I can't wait for it to stop "salting". That's what I call it here when the county expects snow and they just lay down about 1/4" of salt on the streets in anticipation of snow which either doesn't come or is so minimal it was pointless to salt.

I don't know why the county feels they need to salt as much as they do. The roads are seriously white because of salt for 3 months out of the year. You just drive down the road for a couple miles and even if its dry out your car will be covered in a layer of salt, especially on the back of the car. You can see clouds of white dust from cars kicking the salt dust into the air. It can't be good for the roads or the environment, and especially not good for cars. I just wish there was something more I could do to prevent them from wasting tax payers money on this I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same as me but just wanted to vent some.

Tonight were supposed to get two inches of snow. Key word "supposed" to... more then likely it would just be a dusting.. But I guarantee the salt trucks will be out in full force ready to add to the mess!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

The roads over here are simply murder on our cars. Between Pot holes, Salt and Sand, harsh winters. Lots of truck traffic. It's a cost of living I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohouou View Post
I don't know about other people who live on the East Coast but I can't wait for it to stop "salting". That's what I call it here when the county expects snow and they just lay down about 1/4" of salt on the streets in anticipation of snow which either doesn't come or is so minimal it was pointless to salt.

I don't know why the county feels they need to salt as much as they do. The roads are seriously white because of salt for 3 months out of the year. You just drive down the road for a couple miles and even if its dry out your car will be covered in a layer of salt, especially on the back of the car. You can see clouds of white dust from cars kicking the salt dust into the air. It can't be good for the roads or the environment, and especially not good for cars. I just wish there was something more I could do to prevent them from wasting tax payers money on this I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same as me but just wanted to vent some.

Tonight were supposed to get two inches of snow. Key word "supposed" to... more then likely it would just be a dusting.. But I guarantee the salt trucks will be out in full force ready to add to the mess!
It's still better than sand, which I havent seen them spread at all this year (which is really strange)

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

Tell me about it! I hate it. I spent an hour or so cleaning the car last weekend, only to drive it once to my friend's house. When I got home and looked at it, it was as if I had done nothing to it.

01-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Dengel
Non-Guido Jersey Resident
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow Jeep Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Tell me about it! I hate it. I spent an hour or so cleaning the car last weekend, only to drive it once to my friend's house. When I got home and looked at it, it was as if I had done nothing to it.

you can barely tell your tips are blued titanium.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
PIMP "E"
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
thats why you get a beater for the winter.
      01-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

I dont mind it so much. I think it gives the cars even more character. Id even go as far as to say, I like it. Maybe because silverstone carries it well.

2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
They all salt because they get sued if someone has an accident and they haven't painted the roads white with salt. It's an American lawsuit thing. No driving skills required.
Don't forget that the DPW employees do get time and a half overtime when they have to salt between 3 pm to 7 am and double time on Sundays and holidays. That's the real reason why the roads have that nice salty residue for 4 months of the year in the midwest and northeast.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
The roads over here are simply murder on our cars. Between Pot holes, Salt and Sand, harsh winters. Lots of truck traffic. It's a cost of living I guess.
...tell me about it!! Hit a pothole last night with my brand new Winter tires... Got a bubble!!

Thank God for the Tire insurance plan...
      01-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I like salt. Makes things taste better. But I gotta watch all that sodium. It's bad for the blood pressure you know. So, I can't wait for spring either.

Cheers.
      01-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #11
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
oh boy im glad i live in california...(weather wise that is) haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Could be worse. Out west, it gets so cold they don't even use salt in a lot of areas - they just drop gravel etc to add traction. If you think salt is bad, try rocks bouncing off your car : )
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #13
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Try this:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-roa...er-gallon.html

Or any similar product they sell in boating supply shops such as West Marine...

but I agree with you: Enough with this winter!