BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #89
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
You old people are funny. 100K in the bank after buying it? What does that prove? That you just spent 41% of your prior bank balance on a rapidly depreciating liability?

Kids these days can make 100K/yr their first year out of college, and that's not out of a good b-school. Plus all the drop outs and hippies are currently running around the country "protesting" instead of trying to get jobs or work, so now it's even easier to excel.

Your kids are supposed to do better than you. Just because you had to drive around in a beater dosen't mean you have to inflict the same fate on them. Maybe when they are older they'll be writing happy anecdotes on the internet about their first (nice) car rather than spreading the hate.
Oh god, where to start with this post ...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #90
Seven7
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Says it all right there ...

Your parents aren't getting their $100k worth in English class ...
Really? Are you actually being serious? Does it really matter if I casually write a comment with a few gramatical errors? I'm not handing in a paper nor am I trying to impress anyone here. Please be respectful to those in this forum and grow up.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #91
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
What is this? Why is "stuff" exclusive to hard work and values?

Hey son, I want you to get into a top five business school so you can be successful. If you do, which means studying for hours every night, being in the top of your class, playing a competitive sport, networking your ass off, competing and beating out hundreds for internships that will take ten people.
if your son does this because you taught him that's what he should do then he wont need you to buy him a 911 but will learn that the hard work will pay off at his own hand not be given freely by the world or you. expecting instant gratification is part of whats wrong with the world. you have to work for every step you make in the real world and if you do then you will have the material things to match. when given freely without it being earned you come to expect that elsewhere as well and will find it hard to excel in life, ie be spoiled.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #92
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Im a few months shy of turning 23. I've been behind the wheel (legally) since I was 15. To this date, never had an accident..knock on wood.. I've wanted an m3 since I was 13, when my fascination w cars began .. My dad told me no when I was 16 when he got my first car, bc he knew its potential and because he didn't wanna be that dbag parent how dropped 55k on his kids first car (e46 m3 was in the showroom at the time).
To this day, I still don't own an m3..but am getting very close ON MY OWN , and he still refuses to believe its a car for me, bc Im his only son. I don't have kids, but if I did, I would raise them the same. He cares about my safety and wants me to learn the value of things and a work ethic.
OP...Long sorry short, if u dont want to keep the M for yourself, get rid of it, or garage it. But a kid has no experiance or understanding of a Car of that magnitude. If u say it's fast..what do u think she's going to say??
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #93
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7-seven View Post
I'm not handing in a paper nor am I trying to impress anyone here.
Yeah, because who cares what you sound like if you're not getting graded on it right?

Quote:
Please be respectful to those in this forum and grow up.
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was posted by the perfect uber child that deserved his M3. No need to get defensive. My mistake ...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #94
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtose92 View Post
Im a few months shy of turning 23. I've been behind the wheel (legally) since I was 15. To this date, never had an accident..knock on wood.. I've wanted an m3 since I was 13, when my fascination w cars began .. My dad told me no when I was 16 when he got my first car, bc he knew its potential and because he didn't wanna be that dbag parent how dropped 55k on his kids first car (e46 m3 was in the showroom at the time).
To this day, I still don't own an m3..but am getting very close ON MY OWN , and he still refuses to believe its a car for me, bc Im his only son. I don't have kids, but if I did, I would raise them the same. He cares about my safety and wants me to learn the value of things and a work ethic.
OP...Long sorry short, if u dont want to keep the M for yourself, get rid of it, or garage it. But a kid has no experiance or understanding of a Car of that magnitude. If u say it's fast..what do u think she's going to say??
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #95
ibarry92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

I agree with a lot of the guys on the this thread. My when my mother was a child in Africa, she used to sell peanuts and fruits to people off the street and in offices to afford money for food and school. She studied hard and was on the verge of giving up because she didn't have much to pay for school. She became a believer of Christ and continued to push forward. Graduated 1st place of her class and moving to study in France. Then moving to the states to get her masters in accounting. Today she has a well known company in the tri-state area and makes well over 300k a year. She can choose to spoil me but she doesn't. She wants me to work hard as she did to achieve success and I totally see where she is coming from.

I used to work at a grocery store when I was 16. Summers I would ride the metro 2 hour round trip to detail cars of BMW, Honda, Volvo, and Infiniti of Fairfax, Virgina in the blazing heat. I used to cut my neighbors grass weekly for money. Now I work for an electrical company from 6am to 2pm waking up at 4 leaving by 5 and driving 2 hours round trip to work. Sometimes they even put me in at 6pm to 2am. I did all this to buy my 328 all by myself

Op, show her that you have to work hard life. It will make her stronger and much more appreciative.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #96
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrollsp View Post
Absolutely nothing!! I wish I got a M3 when I was 16 but instead I got a hand me down from my parents. Enjoy your car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
I hope you drive better than you spell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
I think the general consensus is that if you’re a teenager driving a $60K+ BMW M3, then, you probably have rich (or well-off) parent’s and\or you live at home with them. I'm not saying this is you...

Most parents may see that this doesn't give their child the value of money or other values (most cases, not necessarily yours)...

So, generally speaking, parents wouldn't buy their kid a $60k+ car, even if they could afford it....
I love driving around with my homies listening to Trey songs smoking cigs out my sunroof. I'm the coolest kid in town and I get all the chicks because of my alpine white pussy magnet...haters jump off

Guys, obviously I'm kidding. I for one, was a teenager who received a fast car and fell under the general stereotype. My gracious parents purchased me a 2006 STi when I was 17. I went around a turn too fast in the rain and as you guys could guess, I totaled it. However, luckily since then I haven't been reckless like that and haven't crashed since. Having generous parents isn't something that should be frowned upon, but then again I am on the biased side. Fast car, or slow car a kid can find a way to be reckless in it. My kid will get a 3 series or something similar for his first car, God willing I'm well off enough to afford one at the time. Nice car, safe and not too fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #97
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
No

even if I were rich and had the money to do so...No

I'd rather have my kid growing up not spoiled, have a strong work ethic, who appreciates the value of money, and works hard to earn something.

That and the potential for what can happen when you mix a high performance V8 car and an adolescent driver.

Plus, I'm going to have to pay for his/her college tuition...so college tuition > M3
I worked my way up to my M3... lots of work and hard times. I deserve it. Let her deserve it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #98
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Can we seriously get the 18 and under crowd to speak up a bit more? I mean really, more food for thought. Wait. Let me translate:

CAN WA SARIOSLEY GET DA 18 AND UNDER CROWD 2 SPEAK UP A BIT MORE?????? OMG I MAAN RILLY MORA FOD FOR THOUGHT FOR SURE!!1111!! WTF LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #99
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
This is all relative:

If you make $35k a year, a $2k Honda for your kid would be a big deal. You would probably stretch yourself a bit thin and get him/her the $2500 Honda with less miles because you love your kid and want them to have it better than you did.
If you make $150k a year, a $50k BMW for your kid would be a big deal. You would probably stretch yourself a bit thin and get him/her the $65k M3 with warranty because you love your kid and want them to have it better than you did.

The more money you make, the more you will spend. Especially on your children. This is a fact. (there is nothing wrong with that, spoiled or not, its your SON or DAUGHTER) depending on how close the parent is to the child they will know if the kid is ready for a 400hp car or not. Ultimately, it's their choice and as a parent all you can do is hope you make the right one and the M3 is a safe car in most aspects.
Hell, if I made real big cheese, my kids would all be driving nice BMWs... an M3? I told my son that if I still have the M3 when he graduates college, its his. He is six. Motivation.
      10-14-2011, 04:19 AM   #100
boarchicken
Private
Rep
Drives: currently g35 2008 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrollsp View Post
When I was in high school my friends had new 335 & M3, Stang Cobra, Lex SC430 & GS430, Trans-Am Ram Air, Prowler, Bentley and other very nice fast cars. Majority of the girls got a new 3 series or MB C class for their 16th birthday. On the other hand, there were kids with beaters, civics, golfs, jettas, 4runners, trucks and other non high end cars. The ones with non high ends cars seemed to wreck more because they tried to show their car were just as fast or handle as well as the nicer/faster cars! Alot of the ones with trucks & SUV's messed up their vehicles because they thought they were pro off roaders!

It doesn't matter how much the car costs or how much power the car has! If that's what the parent wants to get their kid, more power to them! like someone said earlier...a teen driving recklessly in a Geo metro is just as dangerous as being in a M3. The M3 will prob be safer in a crash than the Metro! When I have a kid one day I would have no problem giving them a M3 for their 16th birthday! I'd just install one of the live gps monitor systems and if he/she is being stupid I'll take the car back!
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #101
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

I personally wouldn't regardless of my own personal wealth. Possibly if he/she had their head on right but its still a big call.
      10-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #102
m3keash
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93, JB/Bamboo, Adv.1 8.3 20s

If you want to improve their chances of being alive in 5 years, no. Guys might have more of a tendency to speed, but girls are worse drivers than guys. Ask the insurance companies. They'll tell you. Each of my sons who are driving have totalled cars; a Lexus and a VW. My next son's first car is a used Saturn sitting in the driveway waiting for him.

My wife has been in three accidents, all with teenage drivers, none her fault. One girl turned in front of her. Two guys ran into the back of her, one while texting, one while speeding.
      10-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #103
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

All OP wanted to know is whether he should give the M3 to his daughter. Consensus on the forum is that its a bad idea (love it how people sidetrack a topic on this forum).

OP-If you could afford it-would suggest keeping both. If not-sell.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #104
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
if your son does this because you taught him that's what he should do then he wont need you to buy him a 911 but will learn that the hard work will pay off at his own hand not be given freely by the world or you. expecting instant gratification is part of whats wrong with the world. you have to work for every step you make in the real world and if you do then you will have the material things to match. when given freely without it being earned you come to expect that elsewhere as well and will find it hard to excel in life, ie be spoiled.

If you taught the kid the right way, they will want to earn it for themself, not take a free handout.

Trust, me it's much more rewarding to earn it yourself, rather than be handed it. And by earn it, I don't mean straight A's or by cleaning your room.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #105
Im4citadel
Der Stalag EUA
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carbon Black 550I Xdrive

At the end of the day only you truly know what is in your heart for your daughter.

My father was well off, but earned every dollar by building his own business brick by brick. He pushed my sister and myself to pursue professional career paths so that neither of us would have "chase the dollar" like he had (although I would have loved to have done business with my father).

When I got my learners permit my father forced me to work min wage jobs (three) and agreed to go dollar for dollar with me. My first car was $5000 (and the sexiest thing I owned by the way).

I think the prevalent issue has less to do with her safety as a driver (if she is as you describe her I am sure she will be a sound and safe driver) and more to do with her upbringing.

Will she ever know the feeling of achieving a goal on her own? An M3 for your first car? Really?

It was all in the way my father raised me. "Always set goals and reach them stage by stage. From there the goals will only get bigger and better and as soon as you know it you're at the top."

It made me want to get a scholarship for college, pay for grad school, and buy my father the car of his dreams once in the work force.

13 years after my first "dollar for dollar" car. I bought my father an RX350 and got my fat butt into a 2009 M3...It's not the same road for everyone...I know this...but don't you want your daughter to know what climbing that ladder feels like?

Just my two cents....
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #106
jmarino21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Not a chance in hell. My first car was an '88 baby blue Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera. 10 year old vehicle when I got it. I think my parents paid like 2k for it. It even had the oversized "55" on the spedometer. It took less than a week for me to bust out 100 mph in the thing on the freeway. I was 17. I destroyed that freaking car. It didn't even last through college.

If i win the powerball lottery in the next 20 years, and my children and grandchildren never have to work, then STILL NO. At least not for the first car. Maybe as a college graduation reward or something. Call it a rite of passage.

-James
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #107
Chachi112
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 CTS-V Coupe, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamon View Post
Sorry, but a child can not pay for 80% of an M3 new and/or put themselves through school, unless you worked for your parents/oldmoney and made $XXXX/hr through the family biz. I don't mean it in a rude manner at all just so you know.
I didn't take you as rude at all.... Excuse me for not being totally clear in my first post.... I was in high school at the time so I didn't have to pay to go to school and thankfully my parents picked up the tab for college...also I worked odd jobs on weekends and summers since I was 13 and once I was able to obtain working papers worked 2-3 nights a week after school plus weekends and when I bought the car was able to put 80% down due to my frugalness and took out a loan for the rest...also in 1998 an M3 was not 80k like it is now....
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #108
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

Don't know if I'd start my kid off with an M3 but I definitely wouldn't have a problem putting them in a BMW. I'd rather have them in something well made than some Prius that would disintegrate upon hitting a pebble.

If I felt the child could handle an M3, deserved it, and I had extra cash to blow I have to say I'd consider it. Regardless of how much care we take with our lives the sad truth is no one is guaranteed tomorrow, and I'd be just as devastated if my kid wrapped themselves around a tree, than if they were being perfectly safe and got T-Boned by a drunk driver.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #109
JZBDCT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

e46 + roll cage + performance driving school + he pays for the car himself with a summer job. Kids take more ownership when its their money. I don't care how rich you are. Be a good parent.
2012 BMW M3 Coupe JZB/Fox Red DCT ZCP. Vorsteiner Double Sided Carbon Fiber CSL Boot Lid. Paint Match Grills, Side markers, Reflectors. Carbon Fiber Splitters. Lux Angel Eyes. Custom Rear Section Exhaust with valves. Next mod: Valentine 1
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #110
Avly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
Don't know if I'd start my kid off with an M3 but I definitely wouldn't have a problem putting them in a BMW. I'd rather have them in something well made than some Prius that would disintegrate upon hitting a pebble.

If I felt the child could handle an M3, deserved it, and I had extra cash to blow I have to say I'd consider it. Regardless of how much care we take with our lives the sad truth is no one is guaranteed tomorrow, and I'd be just as devastated if my kid wrapped themselves around a tree, than if they were being perfectly safe and got T-Boned by a drunk driver.

Just my 2 cents.
My father applied the logic above and gave me his NSX, in 1996, 1 year after I got my driver's license. I loved the car. I had the NSX throughout HS, college, grad school.

Its over a decade now but I don't remember doing anything in the NSX that I wouldn't have done in another car.

In HS just too and from school. Rarely went out with the car, I spent nights and weekends studying and at track/cross country races [running], I was a honors student by effort in a competitive HS, and hoping to get into a good college.

To be honest, yes I did speed in the NSX, but not any faster than I did in much lesser cars. For the most part, getting the NSX made me realize, that I had to work extremely hard to justify my father's generosity towards me and not to let him down, because of that I did spend most of my time doing the best I could in school, and rarely went out. Also I learned that material possessions shouldn't be the focus of one's life from my father's willingness to give me his toy car. For the sake of full disclosure though, I did get pulled over once in HS for having two girls in the passenger seat, that I wouldn't have likely done in another car. There wasn't anything crazy or salacious about it, just giving them a ride after school.

In college I drove the car less, I had it with me used it maybe once or twice a month. Rinse and repeat of above, spent most of my time in the library. I did almost wreck it once. It was late at night and I almost fell asleep driving. Was too tired, and not used to going out late. This would have happened in a beater as well. I will say though, one reason why I never drank alcohol was that I didn't want to disappoint my father's trust in giving his NSX to me.

For grad school, I didn't even take the car with me, by this point I just realized all the misconceptions that are drawn about a young person in a sports car. That and I also realized what a god damn pain in the ass it is to drive a sports car for commuting and daily uses. I did track the NSX though with my father which was fun and humbling at the same time. In summary I'd say getting a NSX at 16 was very much like a strings attached guilt trip for me that kept me in line.

So I don't think one can say categorically that a 15-16 year old can't be given an M3. Statistically, its not a smart choice, but its really dependent on the kid. If you can manipulate the kid to do what you want him/her to do with his life using the M3 as a gift why not lol.
Appreciate 0