E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth and Phone Choice

04-06-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
spanna2000
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 330D M Auto Individual

Garage List
Bluetooth and Phone Choice

Apologies if this is too common a question but while I can get partial answers I can't find a definitive answer anywhere else. This is a question about phones and bluetooth compatibility. If you can't help or not interested you don't need to read the rest of this stuff.

BT phone prep is compatible with selected handsets. This I understand but I also know that more handsets will work than just the published list.

I am not worried about the cradle compatibility because I think it will be too fiddly inserting and removing from the cradle each time. I'd rather leave my phone in my pocket.

I am worried about the basic phone features and also the address book features. I've checked the BMW web site and the phones listed are the phones tested - in practice some fairly old models.

I have narrowed my phone choice to either Nokia N70/N90 or Imate JasJar/SP5

I prefer Nokia because of ease of use but its not listed on the web site and I haven't been able to get one to test. Is anyone using a Nokia N series and getting phone and addressbook?

I know the SP5 works because I have tested it but the JasJar - which is a newer phone did not seem to want to do addressbook. I can't see the logic in that because its the same OS and a better featured phone - Has anyone got a JasJar working?

If no JasJar and no N series then I'm going to order the SP5 but I think I will regret the lack of 3g service. If I have windoze on my phone I might as well have 3g so I can do something useful with it.

So in summary, any N series or Jasjar users got BT working and if so at what level.

Thanks in advance
S.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
DWUK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d Sport Auto

Hiya S -
nope its a common thing this bluetooth compatibility nonsense.
Don't fall into the trap that because one Nokia works all of them well, neither with Sony Ericsson's.
To give you an example - had one of them Nokia 8800, lovely phone, cost a small fortune, had to get rid, refused to work with my E46 BT BMW carkit, girlfriend's Nokia 6230i, worked like a charm.

Sony Ericsson T630/K750i works, K700/P900 not a chance.
Samsungs I found were hopeless as well.

Try this site - it helps before you buy
http://www.x5world.com/bluetooth.php

Saves some of the pain I went through - good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
spanna2000
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 330D M Auto Individual

Garage List
That's a useful site. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

Not only phone models but the level of software /firmware in them. I have heard of circumstances where a BT phone didn't work but the phone got its software upgraded and then it did work.
This universal connectivity ain't so universal yet. I took the chicken way out and got a "certified" phone and it worked perfectly(when I followed the instructions).
      04-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWUK
Hiya S -
nope its a common thing this bluetooth compatibility nonsense.
Don't fall into the trap that because one Nokia works all of them well, neither with Sony Ericsson's.
To give you an example - had one of them Nokia 8800, lovely phone, cost a small fortune, had to get rid, refused to work with my E46 BT BMW carkit, girlfriend's Nokia 6230i, worked like a charm.

Sony Ericsson T630/K750i works, K700/P900 not a chance.
Samsungs I found were hopeless as well.
You are correct but in terms of compatibility, Sony Ericsson has been the most consistent. The P800 and P900 didn't work due to issues with the Symbian OS. I was not aware that the K700 didn't work.

That notwithstanding, pretty much everything in the Post T39 world from SE works - and is completely compatible in terms of directory transfer etc.

Nokias and Motorola mobiles are not consistent at all in this regard - even for the same mobile with different sw and fw.

The only way to know for sure is to make sure that the mobile you purchase can be returned if it doesn't work - that way you can test it on your vehicle.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member