BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ferrari also moving toward turbocharging but NOT with ANY lag

Pretty old news I guess, but I found it interesting to hear it quoted straight from a Ferrari engine designer.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...harged-engines

Most importantly:
Quote:
For those with a turbocharged vehicle, you know how quickly turbo lag can destroy a driving experience. Well, so do the engine builders at Ferrari and they refuse to release any other information or details about these aforementioned engines---at least, until they can eliminate turbo lag all together.
Let's see what BMW M has in store for the M3. I have not seen the turbo lag on the new M5 discussed much but have not read everything out on the car either. What is the consensus?
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

wow, gay.

i guess lambo is next
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
wow, gay.

i guess lambo is next
Why hurt? Remember, think more along the lines of McLaren turbocharging, not BMW/VAG/Mercedes/Ford/GM/etc. turbocharging.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Some manufactures are trying to yet build some naturally aspirated engines, but they are the last of their kind. Some examples: Lamborghini Aventador, Ferrari 458 Italia/Spider, Ferrari FF, Ferrari F159 (599 replacement), Porsche 911 Carrera /S (991), Porsche Boxster/Cayman /S (981), Aston Martin One-77, Lexus LF-A, Toyota FT-86.
But some others are are pioneers in the new era of turbocharging, as BMW M and McLaren. Now we can't say they resolved any of the issues, but they are getting closer.
The fist Ferrari turbocharged engine that we are to see are to appear on the up-coming Maserati Kubang and Maserati Quattroporte. From what I heard, the Maserati engine built by Ferrari will be a 4.0l V8 with about 500 PS. Now this engine will be tuned to fit a Maserati, so high-revs and instant throttle-response is not such an important thing as it would be in a Ferrari, just as it isn't as important in an M5 compared to an M3.

I do believe, there is a way to get read of turbolag, indeed there already is, and it is called anti-lag, it is used in rally cars, but this cannot be used on streetcars.
For me the greatest problem is the sound, and for this unfortunately there is no solution.
M3 CSL (E46), LF-A, 458 Italia and 599 GTO are some of the best sounding cars on the planet. Put a turbo, they'll be very far from that.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Manufacturers are all in competition with one another ... this is nothing new and I am sure we are all aware of this.

The driving point today, not only for high performance cars is ... fuel efficiency so in the end everything possible is being done to ...

a) stay ahead of the other guy

and

b) see item "a" again

i.e. it's all about sales and the mighty dollar, Euro or whatever

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I feel like some of these companies, particularly ferrari, and a few others should have an exemption for a while at least from the impending regulatory changes. Its like telling an artist how to paint. Just doesn't seem like it should apply to them. If you make shit box transportation fine follow the rules. If you make kick ass works of art, go for it and do your thing.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 10-18-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

AH yes. The old "no lag" claim. Remember when BMW stated that about the N54... lol..

Yes anti-lag systems might work.. but good luck seeing that on a street car with all the emissions clamp-down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
I feel like some of these companies, particularlly ferrari, and a few oyhers should have an exemption for a while at least from the impending regulatory changes. Its like telling an artist how to paint. Just doesn't seem like it should apply to them. If you make shit box transportation fine follow the rules. If you make kick ass works od art, go for it and do your thing.
+1

No conventional turbo is lagless. For those of us who love that our Ms have immediate and visceral throttle response, a turbo will never do. Yes; you can get around it with gearing and so forth. But you'll come to miss it. Even in the new M5.
      10-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I've read a couple articles on the M5 and they were disappointed that there was lag. It wasn't bad but it was there.

And the N54 was pretty good before the software "fix" they did to fix bad hardware.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
I feel like some of these companies, particularly ferrari, and a few others should have an exemption for a while at least from the impending regulatory changes.
In some cases they do, and in other cases they may just pay the fines and pass it to the customers. However, fines are probably going to keep going up; at some point it becomes impractical. Plus, the court of public opinion can be strong. When everyone else is building more efficient cars, you don't want to send the message that you don't care.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

ill take one anyday...
      10-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I have not seen the turbo lag on the new M5 discussed much but have not read everything out on the car either. What is the consensus?
Turbo lag is more of a problem the smaller the engine and higher the revs. With a relatively low revving 4.4L (and above) V8, it's hardly an issue. On a 2L I4 is a different story.

But not only turbo lag is an issue on turbo engines. So is off/on throttle response and power curve. I MUCH rather own a less powerful NA engine than a turbo one, but the future is clearly heading on the latter's direction. And same thing with the manual transmission, which is a shame. At 50, I thought I'd never be forced to buy a (relatively affordable) turbo and/or automatic sports car before I'm too old to drive a sports car, but could be wrong . We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Strange but true, a turbo hybrid powerplant with the right software would have the response of a NA engine with the efficiency of a turbo. The electric motor is great for filling in the missing torque at low revs before the turbo can build boost.
I think the future is going to be serial hybrids, where the gas engine can run at maximum efficiency and power in a narrow RPM range and the electric motor is fully responsible for turning the wheels.
For now, my NA V8 is the perfect choice for driving fun. I'll worry about the cost of gas when it reaches $10/gallon. Hopefully there will be more than a couple decent electrics out by then.
      10-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

i'll believe it when i feel it.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Hey. At least it's not hybrid...

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Turbo lag is more of a problem the smaller the engine and higher the revs. With a relatively low revving 4.4L (and above) V8, it's hardly an issue. On a 2L I4 is a different story.
I disagree. Lag is lag. Sure lag can be minimized with smaller turbos on a larger engine, variable vane geometry (or other more exotic techniques) or worsened with larger turbos on a smaller engine, however, you can always feel the delay in throttle response and that is the lag. It hurts performance and feel and may need driving adjustments to fully work around it when driving at a 9/10 or 10/10 pace. Also, as pointed out above the turbo lag on the M5 has been reported as quite noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Pretty old news I guess, but I found it interesting to hear it quoted straight from a Ferrari engine designer.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...harged-engines

Most importantly:

Let's see what BMW M has in store for the M3. I have not seen the turbo lag on the new M5 discussed much but have not read everything out on the car either. What is the consensus?
No matter what engine a Ferrari will always be great and makes wonderful music

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
No matter what engine a Ferrari will always be great and makes wonderful music
As to the bold part...

I think those of us who are very concerned with a cars acoustics (which is probably more of us than we would actually admit - part of it is almost subconscious) would beg to differ. If you really like the sound of the GT3, F430/458, LF-A, Carrera GT, etc. the turbo charged Ferrari's will very likely disappoint a bit in comparison.

That is of course unless Ferrari adopts something similar to the brand new F10 M5 "fancy pants synthesized/amplified engine/exhaust noise played through the cars audio system to make up for poor engine sound and too much acoustic insulation" system...

P.S. this is really what the new M5 does, no joke!
Appreciate 0