BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR.E92

Shop in LA to install ZHP knob

Im wondering if anyone has any advice on where to get a nice a clean install for a ZHP shift knob with the illumination. I know there are many DIY's but I think the connection for the illumination takes the job beyond my abilities. Im also considering an alcantara boot if anyone recommends a place.
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMMEZZ View Post
Im wondering if anyone has any advice on where to get a nice a clean install for a ZHP shift knob with the illumination. I know there are many DIY's but I think the connection for the illumination takes the job beyond my abilities. Im also considering an alcantara boot if anyone recommends a place.
thanks.
Good luck on finding a shop that does it. I've tried in NY/Tristate and all say it's too much of a hack job to try and do. If you find one in CA, let us know, we'll send a bunch of business their way. Leatherz.com sells an option, but it's about $300 bucks to get exact OEM look, even then I hear the lighting is uneven. Not OEM perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
thanks.
There is no wiring involved FYI.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
There is no wiring involved FYI.
There is if he's getting an illuminated version, unless someone is selling it with the connector already attached.

Boots are best purchased through LeatherZ. They fit well and have excellent customer service. As for the knob install, it's pretty easy. It just requires you to cut the connector off of the original knob/boot assembly and attach it to the wires on the illuminated connector (either using a butt splice or solder).

For the knob, they can be had for about $120 shipped (illuminated, but with just the wires, no connector) from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-ZHP-Le...item2a177dd077 and they light up much better than the pictures show. The camera picks up a lot of the variation that your naked eye won't.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
There is if he's getting an illuminated version, unless someone is selling it with the connector already attached.

Boots are best purchased through LeatherZ. They fit well and have excellent customer service. As for the knob install, it's pretty easy. It just requires you to cut the connector off of the original knob/boot assembly and attach it to the wires on the illuminated connector (either using a butt splice or solder).
If he is doing the mod, there isn't. All you are doing is removing the pieces from the stock one and putting them in the ZHP one. Plug and play wiring wise. I did zero wiring when I did mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
piloto
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If he is doing the mod, there isn't. All you are doing is removing the pieces from the stock one and putting them in the ZHP one. Plug and play wiring wise. I did zero wiring when I did mine.
You're right, if he's doing the mod, then it's all carry over. For some reason, I assumed he was purchasing an illuminated ZHP knob. For $120, might as well buy it rather than the trouble of carrying them over from the standard knob.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're right, if he's doing the mod, then it's all carry over. For some reason, I assumed he was purchasing an illuminated ZHP knob. For $120, might as well buy it rather than the trouble of carrying them over from the standard knob.
Well you're just thinking of the LeatherZ one which people have not been completely happy with. That and since he says he has read the threads on the DIY, I assumed he wanted the lighted ZHP modded one.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
piloto
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well you're just thinking of the LeatherZ one which people have not been completely happy with. That and since he says he has read the threads on the DIY, I assumed he wanted the lighted ZHP modded one.
I actually put a link above for one from ebay, which I purchased. It's very good and lights up very well and evenly, and in the right color, with the only downside being their wire wasn't as long as it should have been. They've told me since that they've fixed that issue. The whole thing is done by someone in Germany (not that that means anything special per se), but it's not the LeatherZ one. I haven't tried that one, although their shift boots are great (I have one of those).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I actually put a link above for one from ebay, which I purchased. It's very good and lights up very well and evenly, and in the right color, with the only downside being their wire wasn't as long as it should have been. They've told me since that they've fixed that issue. The whole thing is done by someone in Germany (not that that means anything special per se), but it's not the LeatherZ one. I haven't tried that one, although their shift boots are great (I have one of those).
Good to hear that you found a viable alternative.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Im just looking for the simplest way to make the change. I am looking for a ZHP knob to light up just like the oem one. Call it illumination or whatever you like. Im getting a little confused when you guys say you assumed i wanted a lighted one? if that means what i think it mean then i do want that.
Is using parts from my oem knob difficult at all. I dont mind paying more to avoid potential problems. Unless it really is that easy (and not just bimmerpost easy, like guys who think installing an axle back in their driveway is fun lol) then i prefer to go with the easiest route.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
piloto
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Im just looking for the simplest way to make the change. I am looking for a ZHP knob to light up just like the oem one. Call it illumination or whatever you like. Im getting a little confused when you guys say you assumed i wanted a lighted one? if that means what i think it mean then i do want that.
Is using parts from my oem knob difficult at all. I dont mind paying more to avoid potential problems. Unless it really is that easy (and not just bimmerpost easy, like guys who think installing an axle back in their driveway is fun lol) then i prefer to go with the easiest route.
Well, I did install an axle back this past Saturday, and yes, it was VERY easy. A PITA due to the limited clearance with jack stands, but very easy and straight foward. But even so, if you buy an illuminated knob from the source I posted above, you'll have to cut the connector off of the OEM shif knob, and just butt-splice it (or solder) to the wires already attached to the lighted OEM knob. If money is not object, I would suggest contacting LeatherZ and if their illuminated ZHP knob doesn't come with a connector, perhaps for an additional price, they can add it for you, which would make it total plug and play for you.

I can help you out if you'd like. PM me if you need any help. I'm no pro, but would be happy to help however I can.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Sounds like you don't do any work on your own car. If that's the case, then just buy one of the premade lit ones. If you wanna make a drive, I can wire it. You have to remember though that you will also either need to buy a new boot and ring or be aware that your stock boot and knob will have to be surgically separated from one another.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

You guys are very helpful and kind. I appreciate it. TECH do u recommend the same one that piloto is referring to? i dont mind doing work on my car and i have in the past, but i just want to avoid any problems that may arise. the connector part seems easy enough and i guess with a little guidance i should be fine.
i prefer to not mess too much with my oem parts so ill prob buy a new boot. i want to go with alcantara anyway.
P.S. ive installed an axle back on my friends e93 and without a lift, it was absolutely the biggest PITA. apparently e93's have additional support beams down there that make it much more annoying than an e92.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
MEMMEZZ
Captain
United_States
Rep

i also want to make sure im getting the best quality zhp knob in regard to being weighted and whatnot for the best shifting pleasure. where did u get yours from TECH?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
I can't speak to the ebay one since I have no personal experience with it. It appears to be an OEM one modded.

I got mine from Tischer on sale for $50 and then just modded myself.

Basically just depends on how much you want to spend for this endeavor.
Appreciate 0