BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

04-05-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
zieglerc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Observations about M3's iDrive

I'm not sure if these comments hold true across the board for all 2008 3 series, but here are my quick comments coming from a 2007 E92 335:

- No more force feedback on the knob. This is actually a bigger deal than it sounds like, because there is no longer any way to quickly scroll through long lists (like when you're looking at all the artists on your iPod, for example). I'm really disappointed they nixed this feature, and I'm curious why it was done.

- The whole system is WAY faster. There's almost zero lag when navigating between Sirius stations, for example, and nav routing seems to be quite a bit snappier as well. The slowness was the single biggest complaint I had about my 07's iDrive, so I'm glad to see it was addressed.

One step forward and one step back, it seems
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
kamichael
BMW M on my mind
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3, 23 M2, 24 X5 50e

Garage List
Yes, iDrive improved greatly in late '07 and '08. I have an '07 550i and it has the force feedback as you call it and also moves much slower than the '08 335 cv I just sold and 08 M3 I just got. Great improvements to the overall speed and response, as well it does not require click on the initial discolser anymore and goes back to where you last used it when you start the car again. I have not used them much but you can also program the memory keys now to get directly to areas. Once you get used to it, it really is a good interface, I wish everyone (car reviewers) would stop complaining. The trualy great thing about it is how you can comfortably operate it while driving the car, unlike many of the touch screens (Lexus) I have used.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglerc View Post
- No more force feedback on the knob. This is actually a bigger deal than it sounds like, because there is no longer any way to quickly scroll through long lists (like when you're looking at all the artists on your iPod, for example). I'm really disappointed they nixed this feature, and I'm curious why it was done.
Just select your audio source (I'm using a Corsair USB stick) and spin the I Drive controller. Scrolls very quickly and after a while you learn how much to spin it to hit roughly what you want.

I've just added a figure '1' in front of the directories containing my favourite top 10 albums too. That way they all appear at the top of the list.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
rvacha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
The two issues - speed and force feedback - are related. the force feedback, known formally as haptic feedback, used a lot of the computational horsepower in iDrive so removing it improved the speed greatly. BMW may eventually design iDrive with a more powerful processor and bring the haptic feature back.

'16 F30 340i xDrive 6MT Melbourne/Black
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth
'18 F80 M3 6MT SO/CSAT
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
zieglerc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvacha View Post
The two issues - speed and force feedback - are related. the force feedback, known formally as haptic feedback, used a lot of the computational horsepower in iDrive so removing it improved the speed greatly. BMW may eventually design iDrive with a more powerful processor and bring the haptic feature back.
Interesting, makes sense. I guess if I had to choose one or the other, it'd be the snappy interface.
Appreciate 0