BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Timblaney
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Arm Rest USB, is it working?

I just picked up a 2008 M3 with the CCC iDrive. The car was listed as having the iPhone adapter, which I believe is correct since when you look in the center console there is a Aux (headphone jack), a USB, and a cigarette plug.

I might have some miss understanding of what the usb and aux will do on the this version, but I thought I would be able to use the steering wheel buttons and charge an iPhone if plugged in properly. Here is what I have done so far, let me know if there is something that I did incorrectly:
  1. The car was listed with an iphone adapter. The adpater didn't come with the car so I purchased a used oem on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/110781881068
  2. When I plug my iPhone (version 4 with 5.0.1) in to the armrest with this adapter, the iPhone doesn't show it is charging and the steering will controls will not forward to the next song. So it looks like the usb is not working properly either from the y-cable or the armrest.
  3. To test the armrest usb, I took a PNY 4GB usb thumb drive (formatted FAT 32) and put some songs on it. I put them in both the root directory and the some in the folders. All songs were in a .mp3 format with no DRM restrictions. In iDrive, when I go to the entertainment and look at aux, I try and select usb, but it doesn't do anything. So I am assuming the USB is not working in the armrest

Am I doing anything wrong or am I expecting this dated CCC system to be doing too much? Is there a better way to test if the usb is functioning correctly? Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Not sure if you can load to the hdd via the armrest. Normally that is only done via the one in the glove compartment. As far as your phone not working, it could be the cable. Many have said that only the actual apple one works correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timblaney View Post
I just picked up a 2008 M3 with the CCC iDrive. The car was listed as having the iPhone adapter, which I believe is correct since when you look in the center console there is a Aux (headphone jack), a USB, and a cigarette plug.

I might have some miss understanding of what the usb and aux will do on the this version, but I thought I would be able to use the steering wheel buttons and charge an iPhone if plugged in properly. Here is what I have done so far, let me know if there is something that I did incorrectly:
  1. The car was listed with an iphone adapter. The adpater didn't come with the car so I purchased a used oem on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/110781881068
  2. When I plug my iPhone (version 4 with 5.0.1) in to the armrest with this adapter, the iPhone doesn't show it is charging and the steering will controls will not forward to the next song. So it looks like the usb is not working properly either from the y-cable or the armrest.
  3. To test the armrest usb, I took a PNY 4GB usb thumb drive (formatted FAT 32) and put some songs on it. I put them in both the root directory and the some in the folders. All songs were in a .mp3 format with no DRM restrictions. In iDrive, when I go to the entertainment and look at aux, I try and select usb, but it doesn't do anything. So I am assuming the USB is not working in the armrest

Am I doing anything wrong or am I expecting this dated CCC system to be doing too much? Is there a better way to test if the usb is functioning correctly? Any help would be appreciated.
This does not have anything to do with the CCC. So far it looks like somehow that USB port is not working at all, so no data is going to the MULF (USB module in the trunk) and therefore to the CCC at all.

Try using a regular USB cable for your iPhone and see if at least it charges the phone. If not then there is a hardware problem somewhere between the MULF and the port itself.

If your car has some warranty left then you better use it...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Not sure if you can load to the hdd via the armrest. Normally that is only done via the one in the glove compartment. As far as your phone not working, it could be the cable. Many have said that only the actual apple one works correctly.
All that you wrote do not apply to the OP's 2008 M3. That's for 2009-on.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Timblaney
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
This does not have anything to do with the CCC. So far it looks like somehow that USB port is not working at all, so no data is going to the MULF (USB module in the trunk) and therefore to the CCC at all.

Try using a regular USB cable for your iPhone and see if at least it charges the phone. If not then there is a hardware problem somewhere between the MULF and the port itself.

If your car has some warranty left then you better use it...
Thanks, yes there is warranty left so I will make the appointment. Thanks for verifying my expectations.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but did u ever get the USB to work? I'mm having the same problem, but my iphone works when plugged in.

I want to play WMA lossless and I can't...grrrr
      08-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
djseto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I'm going to thread jack this post too. I just bought an 08 M3 with CCC this weekend. My car also didn't include the adapter. I have one from eBay on order as well. I tried just a plain apple cable and the system says my device (iPhone 4s) is not supported. I don't know if this is because the iPhone isn't supported, the system is busted, or because I have to use the OEM BMW adapter. I was hoping the apple USB cable with a separate 8mm male-male jack would also work.

When I plugged the iPhone just via the aux in, I get some awful alternate whine or engine noise. I have 2 months left on the factory warranty so I'm having the dealer look at it today since I assume is should sound clean with the 8mm jack

*UPDATE*: The stock cable on eBay works and there is no more ground/alternator noise.

Last edited by djseto; 08-30-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0