BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

09-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Positively. You need to JACK UP the rear man; I lift it and put it on my Rhino ramps. Do it next time and see how much more it comes out . That's more important than overnight. I leave it overnight because there's usually nothing coming out by then. Oh, and you need to open the filter cap BEFORE draining the oil, because it's full inside. And open the rear first, until you hear a gulping sound. I just pulled the cap straight up the first time and oil leaked into the engine. Fortunately had a rag at hand, and only a few drops fell onto the serpentine belt, but took me an hour removing parts and being able to clean it up perfectly.

This second time just put exactly 9.5L, and right on the top mark, where I always have it. By the way, 8.8L is with a quickie oil change; no way that'd register full if you drained the filter housing completely. I suck it bone dry with a fluid extractor. You need either that or a 60ml syringe. Good day.
OK. I'll keep all that in mind next time. Thanks.
Appreciate 0