BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

08-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #45
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
i think ill try this kit. really need camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #46
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

how much does this kit lower the car?
thanks..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #47
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
thanks..
I'm sure it goes pretty low but what's the advantage?

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #48
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't want a lot. 0.5-0.75". I just want to know the min when they are set that's optimized for this setup.
Guess it would have helped if I said that to begin with
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #49
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se
I don't want a lot. 0.5-0.75". I just want to know the min when they are set that's optimized for this setup.
I wanna say you should be able to get that no problem

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #50
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks..
Quote:
You can set the car at stock ride height or the most we recommend that you drop the car is 0.75" in the front and 1.0" in the rear, so this would definitely work for what you want.

If you lower anymore than that, you start to get in the 'territory' of damaging the shock (bottoming out).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #51
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Speaking of shocks, since the stock setup was clearly tuned for its specific intent, won't heavier springs and a lower ride damage them or create premature wear? Another consideration are the spring rates and potential bounciness from the stiffer spring. Will all 3 edc levels still be useable?

And finally, do you guys offer a camber kit for the stock edc setup? If I decide not to order, (I expect to do something by tomorrow) for fear of warranty issues with only 22k on the car, do you have a camber kit instead?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #52
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Kline Racing

You can set the car at stock ride height or the most we recommend that you drop the car is 0.75" in the front and 1.0" in the rear, so this would definitely work for what you want.

If you lower anymore than that, you start to get in the 'territory' of damaging the shock (bottoming out).
I'm curious to the answer for the guy above me too
      08-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #53
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of shocks, since the stock setup was clearly tuned for its specific intent, won't heavier springs and a lower ride damage them or create premature wear? Another consideration are the spring rates and potential bounciness from the stiffer spring. Will all 3 edc levels still be useable?

And finally, do you guys offer a camber kit for the stock edc setup? If I decide not to order, (I expect to do something by tomorrow) for fear of warranty issues with only 22k on the car, do you have a camber kit instead?

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
I'm curious to the answer for the guy above me too
Yes, there is opportunity for damage to the dampers. This is why we recommend no more than a 0.75" drop in the front and 1.0" drop in the rear. Yes, this will wear the shocks more than if you left it at stock ride height. TC tested different spring rates for this set-up and the most that the EDC can handle is 400# in the front and 600# in the rear. TC always left it in the softest setting of the EDC when he was testing, so it is compatible for all 3 settings.

If you get the opportunity, check out our article in Bimmer Magazine to learn more. --> http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728275

To our knowledge, no one offers a camber plate that is compatible with the EDC shocks.

TC tested our EDC kit on his E90 M3 that he used as a daily driver around Santa Barbara, CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #54
VP M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Looking for something new

EDC Kit

I just ordered one and am going to the track this weekend on stock ZCP (with track wheels/tires) and then again in a couple of weeks after the new kit is installed and will give you all an update at that time.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #55
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Lowering on stock dampers is never a good idea and I won't bother explaining why here, I know it's been discussed before on this forum.

With this kit, TCKline is just responding to market demand ie people who want to retain EDC for whatever reason.

And before anyone argues about the kit (or another) being the best because this because that: it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the components of the kit are made out of platinum and diamonds. At the end of the day you're on stock dampers, a far from optimal setup and you're just wasting time/money.

If you absolutely must then just get a set of Eibach springs (very mild drop like .6 in) and camber plates of your choice and save yourself ~$600. Oh but it's not adjustable? Again it's pointless to have threaded collars to go low on stock dampers.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #56
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Lowering on stock dampers is never a good idea and I won't bother explaining why here, I know it's been discussed before on this forum.

With this kit, TCKline is just responding to market demand ie people who want to retain EDC for whatever reason.

And before anyone argues about the kit (or another) being the best because this because that: it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the components of the kit are made out of platinum and diamonds. At the end of the day you're on stock dampers, a far from optimal setup and you're just wasting time/money.

If you absolutely must then just get a set of Eibach springs (very mild drop like .6 in) and camber plates of your choice and save yourself ~$600. Oh but it's not adjustable? Again it's pointless to have threaded collars to go low on stock dampers.
I agree that this is not an optimal set up for a track car, but its a lot better to have linear springs with higher rate with camber plates than stock and still be able to change from comfort ride to firm by a push of a button.
What if stock hight is maintained with this kit to protect stock dumpers?
Maybe suspension experts have any suggestions?

Last edited by Groundpilot; 08-31-2012 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #57
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
+1

BMW does a pretty good job of balancing the car from the factory. Not sure why you need height adjustability for an increase in performance. If you are gutting the car or taking stuff out and need to adjust the corner weights...you should be well beyond the OEM suspension in terms of capability anyway.

I'm on the Dinan stage 2 for purely warranty reasons. After I hit 50k I'll be shopping for a nice coilover setup.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue

Last edited by bigjae1976; 08-31-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #58
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
+1

BMW does a pretty good job of balancing the car from the factory. Not sure why you need height adjustability for an increase in performance. If you are gutting the car or taking stuff out and need to adjust the corner weights...you should be well beyond the OEM suspension in terms of capability anyway.
+1
I ended up going with eibachs, when the stock shocks go I'll get a set of TC Klines coils.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #59
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Bump
Did anyone try this kit yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #60
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

I picked up a used GC kit...couldn't beat the price.
      09-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #61
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

What sway bars would you guys suggest with the TCkline suspension kit for street and moderate track use? My M3 is a 2008 with EDC, no ZCP package.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #62
TC Kline Racing
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I picked up a used GC kit...couldn't beat the price.
Sorry to hear about what happened with your kit.....hope you get the other one sold....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
What sway bars would you guys suggest with the TCkline suspension kit for street and moderate track use? My M3 is a 2008 with EDC, no ZCP package.

Cheers,
Honestly, we have never really changed the sway bars on our E9X's......stock is pretty adequate.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #63
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Kline Racing View Post
Thank you, we take great pride in our products.

You're math is just a little off......

This is cut/pasted directly from our website (I've added individual pricing for your convenience below):

Including the following components:

* TC Kline Camber / Caster Adjustable Plates - $495
* 4 Springs in your choice of rates - $389.20
* 2 Spring hats for front springs - $76.40
* 2 Shock shaft sleeves - $6.30
* 2 TC Kline Custom Sway Bar Mounts - $119.90
* 2 Front Coil-over sleeves with spring perches - $170.00
* 2 TC Kline Rear Spring height adjusters - $139.00
* 2 TC Kline Delrin Rear Spring centering spacers $20.40

Total - $1416.20

Kit sells for $1372.....so it's $44.20 less than each part being sold seperatley

Here is where our kit differs from some of the others out there.

1) Our kit comes with camber plates, where other kits do not include camber plates. This is a huge factor when you are taking your M to the track. Not only do you get better performance, you save your tires from unnecessary wear due to lack of camber.

2) Our TC Kline camber plates reduces the stack height, and therefore offers the benefit of an extra 1/2 inch of compression travel compared to the stock mounts. I don't know about you, but I will take an extra 1/2 inch of compression travel anytime I'm on the track. The other major benefit is the additional caster angle that you are able to achieve over the stock configuration. Caster angle has a couple of benefits - 1) Increasing high speed braking stability 2) Giving greater camber angles as you turn the wheel. So as you turn into a corner, the camber angle improves for optimum grip and turn-in response.

3) Our springs are a linear, lightweight, high tensile, VVS Alloy spring. The springs are lighter with thinner coils, which also allows for more compression travel because the spring will not bind as easily as some of the thicker springs on the market. Linear spring rates will give you more precise control vs. some others with progressive rates.

We could build an EDC kit that is made cheaper, but that would not be synonymous with our TC Kline name. We strive to build the best products on the market, because you spend alot of money for your M3 and most folks want the best products for their car, so they can use it to their full potential. We use the highest quality material when building our products, and therefore, production costs are not as cheap as competitors products may be. It is not our goal to be the cheapest product on the market, but put products on the market that are of the highest value.

Again, we use all of these products on our cars and spend countless hours testing them before they are released for the consumer. The consumers have asked for this kit and we have supplied, what we feel is, the best on the market.

I hope this has addressed some of your questions and concerns about our kit.

I like this kit but I'm no Auto engineer nor will be testing extensively at a track for optimal set up. If I installed it all and then brought it to BMW for a full alingment, what would be the optimal standard setting for caster/camber/hight with this kit? IOW, is there setting number or positions that my local tech could align the wheels/caster/camber & ride hight so its all adjusted correctly? Would make sence to be driving around with caster/camber/hight all off from one another if not aligned correctly. Thanks,

RB
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #64
davem3fan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Garage List
Finally ordered my EDC kit.
I need to do this in increments.

Looking forward to a firmer ride and the correct negative camber for mixed road & track use.

Dave Flogaus CCA #123862
11 E90 M3 Sedan DCT
94 E36 325is M-Tech (S50)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #65
M3anRide
MFlight 4Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
I ordered my kit from TC after reading the article in Bimmer magazine. I spoke with TC explained what I wanted and based upon his recommendation I ordered the kit retaining my EDC. The sad part was I bought the kit last November and just got it installed a couple of weeks ago. When I took it to my BMW master mechanic, he was this is real racing parts. I laughed and he said NO, REAL racing parts. He's done a lot of H&R and KW V3 kits, but this was his first.

So after the install the car sat really high, sorry no pics, but after driving 200 miles the suspension settled perfectly. I've kept the rear height at max due to my 20"s. I can get a finger between the tire/wheel and the rear fender. The front is about an inch higher at the moment but I'm going to lower it today. I will post pictures after I adjust it.

Now the important part, the ride. I have to agree with the article, I now keep the EDC in its softest setting even when I'm on the M mode. Regardless of whether I'm doing 150+ down the autobahn or zipping up and down the back mountain road the car is planted. There is now pogoing in the back compared to the OEM ZCP setup. I thought the ZCP was good but this is even better. The spring diameters are smaller but more windings. No issues with deep wheels. I'm running 20x10.5 rears with 275s. I don't accept any rubbing on my suspension or fenders.

During my normal autobahn commuting speed between 60-100 mph the M3 is smoother than my E90 325i sedan is. I'm actually thinking about doing the springs on it just for the ride, not the performance.

According to the article the shock upgrade made even that much more of a difference. Now I need the shocks.

The first two pictures are the front/rear before the suspension. The second two are the same shots after the suspension after a couple of hundred miles and the suspension has settled. The last three pics are good shots of the suspension after being installed.
Attached Images

Current mods - Clubsport cage, ESS (ECU & DCT) Tune, FabSpeed HFC, Eisenmann Sport, Custom Brembo brakes (8 piston front/4 piston rear) KW Clubsport 3-way suspension w/ front Eibach & rear Swift springs, Apex EC-7 w/ 275/35-18 ZII
///M-Flight - Northern Europe

Last edited by M3anRide; 05-19-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #66
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Nice write up, thanks. What shock upgrade? If you're doing shocks as well, isn't that a coilover setup?
Appreciate 0