BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
VMM
Rep
Drives: E46 IB M3 ZCP

18s vs 19s

I'm not sure whether or not there are still delays with the 19s... and it doesn't look like there are going to be any other wheel options in the upcoming year... so I wanted to get opinions about what wheels to get. I am honestly torn... love the profile of the 19s but love the color of the 18s. Some other factors are that the car is a sedan for my wife who will probably use it as her daily driver and kid transporter. As I've been thinking more about it recently, I think the 18s may be a bit more durable and less likely to get flats or get damaged which would be a good thing for my wife. I've got an order in the computer as we speak but as of yet no allocation. I'm beginning to wonder if I modify things such as the wheels that I might speed things up a bit. I realize that earlier in the year that DCT and 19s were holding up things. Sorry if this has been discussed previously. The car is MR/Beige extended. I was 19s all the way until the dealer called me up and had me look at the same color combination on a vert. Looked sharp... now I'm confused. Thanks.
      07-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
The current 19's are too similar to the 19's that came on the E46 M3. I don't care for them.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

I love the 18s, they look awful in pictures but great in person!
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking The 19inch wheels make the M3 stand out and look good.

I really don't care for the 18's the 19's look better IMO, but I am not a factory wheel type person. It's 100% aftermarket for me I already have two sets of 20 inch wheels and tires for my M3

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Talking Since it will be the wife daily driver get the 18's

The 18's have a little more meat on them (rubber) if you get the 19's the wife will Curb Check those rims for sure Unless you do like I told my wife when I put 20inch rims on her car. I told her to drive the car like she is driving a 18 wheeler truck with trailer wide turns around curves. I also told her if she curb check the rim she is going to buy another one and replace it . Needless to say she had the car over a year now still taking my advise and has not curb check on the 20inch rims yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMM View Post
I'm not sure whether or not there are still delays with the 19s... and it doesn't look like there are going to be any other wheel options in the upcoming year... so I wanted to get opinions about what wheels to get. I am honestly torn... love the profile of the 19s but love the color of the 18s. Some other factors are that the car is a sedan for my wife who will probably use it as her daily driver and kid transporter. As I've been thinking more about it recently, I think the 18s may be a bit more durable and less likely to get flats or get damaged which would be a good thing for my wife. I've got an order in the computer as we speak but as of yet no allocation. I'm beginning to wonder if I modify things such as the wheels that I might speed things up a bit. I realize that earlier in the year that DCT and 19s were holding up things. Sorry if this has been discussed previously. The car is MR/Beige extended. I was 19s all the way until the dealer called me up and had me look at the same color combination on a vert. Looked sharp... now I'm confused. Thanks.

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
VMM
Rep

Thanks... those are all good thoughts. With certain colors the 18s really look good. But it's strange... I've seen quite a few cars wiht 18s at the dealer and they will look good from certain angles and blah from other. In pictures the 19s are phenomenal looking. I do agree that they're similar to the original 19s on the e46 which I thought look really cool at first but seemed boring after a while. I still absolutely love the ZCP wheels on my e46.

I still think both are good choices. Do you think the 18s and their accompanying tires will be significantly less prone to road damage? I guess we'll see... if I ever get my freakin vin number. I basically told them to order the car for me on 5/31. I guess a DCT sedan with 19s was already tough to come by. My wife was beginning to get frustrated and was thinking about trying a Cayenne... I convinced her to wait a bit more ( I want the Porsche purchase to be from the 911 family). I'm beginning to think the hold up with allocations is the new technology stuff... sadly... I think we'll be beta testing two years straight on this generation M3.
      07-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
VMM
Rep

That's part of my thinking. Though... she used to think I was nut's parking my 98 Integra in the boondocks (I had that car forever without any dings)... I think she understands. Her 04 MDX has one single door ding from a Yosemite trip. She's pretty careful when she parks and tends to park far out but doesn't like curb spots. Honestly it's the front spoiler I'm most worried about. I'm amazed at how low they go on these cars. I was at a work meeting and one of my partners parked next to me and just drove his boxter s right up the cement curb and it had a lot more clearance than my ZCP. Wish they were putting front PDC on these cars. Oh well... we'll see. I'll let her decide. I do have a wheel guy who works miracles... good thing to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
The 18's have a little more meat on them (rubber) if you get the 19's the wife will Curb Check those rims for sure Unless you do like I told my wife when I put 20inch rims on her car. I told her to drive the car like she is driving a 18 wheeler truck with trailer wide turns around curves. I also told her if she curb check the rim she is going to buy another one and replace it . Needless to say she had the car over a year now still taking my advise and has not curb check on the 20inch rims yet
      07-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

get the 19's
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
The current 19's are too similar to the 19's that came on the E46 M3. I don't care for them.
I liked 'em on the E46 and I like 'em on the E9X. The 18's look good with certain colors, especially the Space Gray.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #10
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Talking I feel you on parking way out to get no dings in the doors

My wife also learned her lesson about parking she know I would park her car way out so it won't get dinged. She would do the same thing and don't mind the walk to the store or what ever. One day she was running late to work and did not park her car far out like always and someone ding the driver door real good them bastards she was pissed. Well I will eventually go get it fixed for her

Quote:
That's part of my thinking. Though... she used to think I was nut's parking my 98 Integra in the boondocks (I had that car forever without any dings)... I think she understands. Her 04 MDX has one single door ding from a Yosemite trip. She's pretty careful when she parks and tends to park far out but doesn't like curb spots. Honestly it's the front spoiler I'm most worried about. I'm amazed at how low they go on these cars. I was at a work meeting and one of my partners parked next to me and just drove his boxter s right up the cement curb and it had a lot more clearance than my ZCP. Wish they were putting front PDC on these cars. Oh well... we'll see. I'll let her decide. I do have a wheel guy who works miracles... good thing to have.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
JBJ
Sports Car Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Thank you for that. I totally agree and am disappointed. For the first, I actually prefer the 18s offered over the 19s. I love the 18s and think they look nicer, sportier, and the graphite color is really nice IMO. You should see them on a car that has been lowered (check out the journal thread here by EAS where they're fixing up a Sparkling Graphite coupe) And I think the 18s look good with just about every color available.
      08-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

19" all the way... and whether 18" or 19" , it is not IF you will have a flat due to a pothole, but WHEN (at least in my area where the roads are really bad, especially just after our nice cold winters!).
      08-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure whether or not there are still delays with the 19s... and it doesn't look like there are going to be any other wheel options in the upcoming year... so I wanted to get opinions about what wheels to get. I am honestly torn... love the profile of the 19s but love the color of the 18s.
Go with what you like in your heart, but I think the 19s are better proportion and classier. Not to mention they are forged and lighter.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #14
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I was really into the 18s, but after getting 19s and washing them by hand and admiring how HOT they really are... I can't get myself back into the 18s... IMO, the 19s are wonderful... the 18s are nice too... but my wife said they're a little boy-racer looking.
You say that like its a bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #15
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156103
      08-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #16
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
+1 same goes here, kinda tired of it after my lasy e46 /M. I just wish they made the 18's wheel profile an inch bigger.

and the 18s big fat tires makes it look like a mean Formula Car
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #17
rcornelius
Faster
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe Melbourne Red/Black

Quote:
My M3 came with the 18s, so I shopped around and found a OEM set of 19s with 300 miles on them. Great looks, but I believe for performance the 18s are better. The lower profile 19s are rougher on the road. May very well sell the 19s and go back to my ugly 18s.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
E394KEN
M3//4KEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i (Woosh!)

19's. I agree the 19's look almost identical to the E46 M3 19. First thing my wife noticed when she first saw the car. It would be nice if BMW alla Porsche offered a more selective wheel choice. Aftermarket conspiracy?? Hmmmmmm.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
jump23
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 DCT M3

According to tirerack.com

Don't know how accurate this is but thought I'd share...

Plus sizing your wheels and tires is the best way to improve both the performance and appearance of your vehicle. By using a larger diameter wheel with a lower profile tire it's possible to properly maintain the overall diameter of the tire, keeping odometer and speedometer changes negligible. By using a tire with a shorter sidewall, you gain quickness in steering response and better lateral stability. The visual appeal is obvious, most wheels look better than the sidewall of the tire, so the more wheel and less sidewall there is, the better it looks.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #20
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

sedan for your wife? get the 16 inch wheel option!
      08-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #21
MattDogg42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92m3, 06 Trdsport TACO

18's with melbourne Red ftw. 19's with any other color Ftw
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #22
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
I really don't care for the 18's the 19's look better IMO, but I am not a factory wheel type person. It's 100% aftermarket for me I already have two sets of 20 inch wheels and tires for my M3
Shady. You got any pics of the beast with all the mods yet??
Appreciate 0