BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Unhappy Worried about a rattle in 1st gear at 5-6k rpms

Hello everyone.

I know very similar topics have been brought up before, but those threads were mostly about concerns of rattles that happen when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and also when the clutch is engaged. My problem is the same noise, but it continues on while driving in 1st gear as I increase the revs to 5k rpm or slightly over and keep cruising in the same gear and at the same engine speed. It keeps rattling, but not as loud as the rattle when you shift from 1st to 2nd. The rattle is not cabin related, and I strongly feel it's from the drivetrain.

I took my issue to my BMW service advisor, but it was hard for me to explain and pin-point the problem that I was talking about.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thank you for all of your kind help.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Should've gotten DCT no rattles ha ha...oh wait but might have other issues like lag. Does the rattle sound like it's coming from underneath the car? Constant rattle or intermittent?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
Should've gotten DCT no rattles ha ha...oh wait but might have other issues like lag. Does the rattle sound like it's coming from underneath the car? Constant rattle or intermittent?
hahaha...no man, I love my 6 speed manual. Besides, this rattle is not major, but it's enough to bother an anal person like myself.

The rattle becomes constant once I stay at that high of an rpm and while in 1st gear.......At parking lot speeds and maybe slightly higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
hahaha...no man, I love my 6 speed manual. Besides, this rattle is not major, but it's enough to bother an anal person like myself.

The rattle becomes constant once I stay at that high of an rpm and while in 1st gear.......At parking lot speeds and maybe slightly higher.
Hey Naawaz, can you describe this rattle a bit more? I haven't heard a rattle but I don't run constant high revs in first gear--it's not how I typically drive.

I'm going to try and recreate it with my 6MT, but rattles are kind of vague things. I get that you think it's the drivetrain, but is there anything analogous to this rattle you could describe? (Shaking pennies in a can, clank on a metal rail with a hammer...you get the idea--give me something it's "like" so I know what I'm trying to hear).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Hey Naawaz, can you describe this rattle a bit more? I haven't heard a rattle but I don't run constant high revs in first gear--it's not how I typically drive.

I'm going to try and recreate it with my 6MT, but rattles are kind of vague things. I get that you think it's the drivetrain, but is there anything analogous to this rattle you could describe? (Shaking pennies in a can, clank on a metal rail with a hammer...you get the idea--give me something it's "like" so I know what I'm trying to hear).
It's the same noise that comes when you abruptly depress the clutch pedal when you come to a stop I guess. It's the same noise that comes when you shift from 1st to 2nd gear when you're at low speeds. It feels like something is loose at the bottom in front of the car...Sorry I couldn't explain it better.

I'll go ahead and send you a PM on this as well. Thanks man.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Sellotape
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLS

Quote:
It's the same noise that comes when you abruptly depress the clutch pedal when you come to a stop I guess. It's the same noise that comes when you shift from 1st to 2nd gear when you're at low speeds. It feels like something is loose at the bottom in front of the car...Sorry I couldn't explain it better.

I'll go ahead and send you a PM on this as well. Thanks man.

I have the same noise on mine. Also get it in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

does it sound like clutch chatter (which it shouldn't) or like driveshaft banging? (or none of the above) Or does it sound like it is coming from the rear end....

does it do it when you are out of gear and hold rpms that high... (i say this just to eliminate anything from the engine).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
does it sound like clutch chatter (which it shouldn't) or like driveshaft banging? (or none of the above) Or does it sound like it is coming from the rear end....

does it do it when you are out of gear and hold rpms that high... (i say this just to eliminate anything from the engine).
I would have to say that it happens when I'm out of gear also.

It's not a violent rattle, and it's not a harsh noise. It sounds more like a metal plate is loose, but the BMW dealer already check all the panels at the bottom for looseness. They didn't find anything...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's not a violent rattle, and it's not a harsh noise. It sounds more like a metal plate is loose, but the BMW dealer already check all the panels at the bottom for looseness. They didn't find anything...
Maybe Saturday we can figure it out... We can compare mine to yours and see if it is much different or if we can hear the same noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Maybe Saturday we can figure it out... We can compare mine to yours and see if it is much different or if we can hear the same noise.
I'd greatly appreciate that actually. Thanks so much man.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
artifice
Major
United_States
Rep

No problem man... We'll get you sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sort of a "clong" metal plate sound? If that's it, then yeah, I have it too. Sort of similar (not exactly) to what happens when in putting in the clutch when in reverse.

If that's it, I have good news! It's the high performance drive train, and it's totally normal.

"In your M3, special emphasis was placed on the direct connnection between engine and drive. The torsionally rigid execution of the drive train results in acoustic feedback of the torque, as is typical in sports cars. Clacking sounds may arise during load changes. They do not impair functionality of shorten the lifespan of any component." (Here's a link, see page 109.)

So, hopefully this means no worries for you...except perhaps that your dealer didn't offer this explanation (which I find troubling)!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ Thank you for the assurance Ron. I'm relieved, but it still worries me somehow.

Thankfully, my BMW service advisor made me aware of the same exact notice that you gave me from the manual. We're holding a local meet for M3's in my area, and I've also talked to some other M3 owners that will let me compare my car against theirs to see if there's anything unusual. I'm anxious to see what I can find out. I hope everything is normal like it should be.

Thanks for your great help again Ron.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^ Thank you for the assurance Ron. I'm relieved, but it still worries me somehow.

Thankfully, my BMW service advisor made me aware of the same exact notice that you gave me from the manual. We're holding a local meet for M3's in my area, and I've also talked to some other M3 owners that will let me compare my car against theirs to see if there's anything unusual. I'm anxious to see what I can find out. I hope everything is normal like it should be.

Thanks for your great help again Ron.
At least the SA knew about this, so at least they're on the ball. One less worry there!

I think doing a comparison is the best way to put your mind at ease. I hope it turns out to be nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
At least the SA knew about this, so at least they're on the ball. One less worry there!

I think doing a comparison is the best way to put your mind at ease. I hope it turns out to be nothing.
Definitely. My M3 has only about 1,500 miles on it, so it would be a heart-breaker to find out that something is going wrong. I'll check it out and update the thread as soon as I know more info.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I never hang around at 5K in 1st man, so I wouldn't consider it an issue at all, but glad others helped you out already. The only drivetrain noise I hear is a 'clang' when I release the clutch after starting the engine. Sometimes is louder than others, but I'm sure it's normal. There're more moving parts on a double-plate clutch, so we need to get used to that.
Finally, I have to say my tranny is breaking in nicely; the notchiness of the 1-2 shift is almost gone now . Good day.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I never hang around at 5K in 1st man, so I wouldn't consider it an issue at all, but glad others helped you out already. The only drivetrain noise I hear is a 'clang' when I release the clutch after starting the engine. Sometimes is louder than others, but I'm sure it's normal. There're more moving parts on a double-plate clutch, so we need to get used to that.
Finally, I have to say my tranny is breaking in nicely; the notchiness of the 1-2 shift is almost gone now . Good day.
cool. I just like to hang high in the revs, and that's when I found out about this noise.

Fortunately, I got a ride in artifice's (Edwin's) M3 at our local meet, and he had the same noise at around the same rpm's. There wasn't as much of the noise, but I did hear it a couple times. I'm just going to assume it's normal in our M3's.
Appreciate 0