BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

09-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #793
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Those wheels and wing are tragically ugly.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #794
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
+1

I like the FT-86/BRZ, plan on purchasing it, but this thread is a bad image for the car. This thread has become worthless. Thanks to GoingTooFast "marketing" no body wants to know anything about this car anymore.
a-fucking-men
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #795
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
creepy thread. Before today, the last person other than "GoingTooFast" to post in this thread posted over 2 WEEKS AGO.

GoingTooFast has been essentially talking to himself for over 2 weeks.
True. Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
this thread is a bad image for the car. Thanks to GoingTooFast "marketing" no body wants to know anything about this car anymore.
This X100
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #796
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Those wheels and wing are tragically ugly.
Yes... too fast and furious!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #797
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Another impressive result from the Toyobaru with upgraded wheels (17" Rays Volk Racing TE37SL ) and tires (Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 sized 245/40):

For the sake of comparison see the skidpad / slalom / 60-0 results, all tests done by Edmunds on their test track (same location and methodology):

1.04 g / 71.3 mph / 102 ft -- 911 Carrera S (Pirelli P Zero P-spec)
1.03 g / 71.6 mph / 109 ft -- Elise (Yokohama A048 LTS)
1.00 g / 70.3 mph / 107 ft -- FR-S (Yokohama AD08)
0.99 g / 72.3 mph / 102 ft -- Boxster Spyder (Bridgestone RE050A P-spec)
0.97 g / 71.3 mph / 105 ft -- Cayman R (Bridgestone RE050A P-Spec)
0.95 g / 73.3 mph / 100 ft -- E90 M3 Coupe (Michelin PS2)
0.91 g / ???? mph / 109 ft -- E46 M3 Coupe (Yoko AD07)
0.90 g / 69.7 mph / 108 ft -- 135i (Bridgestone RE050A)
0.89 g / 67.5 mph / 114 ft -- FR-S (Michelin Primacy HP)
0.86 g / 64.9 mph / 110 ft -- NC Miata (Bridgestone RE050A)

While it's true that the Yoko's AD08 are stickier than anything else except for the A048's on the Elise it's amazing how close the results are between the lighter Elise and the Toyobaru, with an even better braking result of the latter.

On the other hand, it's amazing how the Toyobaru comes out ahead of the Miata and loosing only in the braking result with the far less stickier OE Michelin's.
As a side note, I must add how good I think the Pirelli P Zero's are and how much they contribute to the 911's top result. Even when taking into account that the 991 Carrera S has a VERY low roll angle (only 0.4 deg vs Toyobaru's 2.3 deg, see Motortrend measurements below) I think the Pirelli tires play a VERY important role on the overall result. In fact, so much so that I have just replaced the OE PS2 for the P Zero's on my 1M and after the initial break-in period all I can say is they stick like hell!

Motortrend measurements:

245/35ZR20 91Y; 295/30ZR20 101Y Pirelli P Zero

215/45R17 87W Michelin Primacy HP

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 09-11-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #798
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

My 1M P Zero tires:

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #799
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Toyobaru and Elise road comparo:

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #800
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast
My 1M P Zero tires:

Lies
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #801
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Lies

Oh dear... Should I put my hand over the Bible?!

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #802
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Motortrend measurements:

245/35ZR20 91Y; 295/30ZR20 101Y Pirelli P Zero

215/45R17 87W Michelin Primacy HP

It's VERY important to note that when comparing the roll angle of the 991 Carrera S to the roll angle of the Toyobaru, besides the importance of the very LOW-PROFILE 20-inch tires the Carrera S also comes standard-equipped with Porsche’s dynamic shocks, better known as Porsche Active Suspension Management and Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC - limited to S models) which replaces, and I quote:

Quote:
"the anti-roll bar’s links— they connect the bar to the suspension at the strut—with hydraulic actuators and allows the bar to go from noodle soft to I-beam rigid, depending on a number of parameters. The system is totally transparent and a Carrera S so equipped remains as close to parallel to the ground as the low-profile, 20-inch tires will allow it."

No wonder why the Porsche's roll angle is so low... clever electronic gadgetery. It's easy this way, albeit expensive.

In the Toyobaru, on the other hand, all the driving experience is entirely up to YOU and your skills... that's a whole world of difference! And, being so predictable in doing so it's really the Toyobaru's true magic... Once seated at the steering wheel I like to be in charge with the minimum electronic nannies as possible. That's the only true driving experience.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 09-12-2012 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #803
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Oh... I forgot to mention... there's an electronic gadget in the Toyobaru which you can't switch-off :

Quote:
Again, like a new 911, the GT86 has a system to dispense induction noise into the cabin to keep excitement levels up.

in
It's done now: 1803.4 km of driving in a GT86, with over 19.5 hours on the road, and not a single moment of hysterical oversteer. And we still like it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #804
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Korea International Circuit... who is the better dancer?!

1M

Toyobaru

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 09-16-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #805
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

In the recently developed TRD Performance Line for the Toyobaru there's a SOUND CHANGER (3 different sound changer in 1 set) that allows you to change the standard intake generated sound going to the passenger compartment. This kit comes with 3 different sound changers :

TRD Performance Line:

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #806
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

BMW 1.5-liter TwinPower Turbo three-cylinder engine unveiled:

Quote:
The petrol engine will have outputs ranging from 90-165 kW / 121-221 hp and 180-240 Nm (133-177 lb-ft) of torque.

Quote:

Since BMW TwinPower Turbo technology can be integrated into engines of all capacities and any number of cylinders, it is the ideal system for the future Efficient Dynamics family of engines. One of the first members is a 1.5 litre BMW TwinPower Turbo engine. This compact in-line engine possesses all of the renowned characteristics which unite all BMW power units and is distinguished by a high degree of dynamism and efficiency. The characteristics typical of a three-cylinder engine are also much in evidence - high-revving characteristics, spontaneous responsiveness and a dynamic, sporty sound.

Excellent consumption figures thanks to lightweight, compact, low-friction design. The 1.5 litre BMW TwinPower Turbo engine enjoys significantly reduced fuel consumption by virtue of its low internal friction. Due to the long ignition intervals, the charge cycle can be particularly well adapted to suit the needs of the driver, providing a high "low end torque", as well as a rapid response. To this end, the new three-cylinder uses the latest generation of the High Precision Injection direct fuel injection system and the VALVETRONIC variable valve control system.

The "half of a six cylinder" runs remarkably smoothly. The vibration characteristics are every bit as impressive as the unit's lightweight and compact dimensions. In this respect, the three-cylinder engine shares a number of common features with the six-cylinder in-line engines - neither of them generates free inertial forces nor free moments of inertia. The three-cylinder engine is also free of first and second order inertial forces and the roll torque, which is very small compared to the six-cylinder engine, is completely eliminated by the use of a balance shaft. Thanks to its torsional vibration damper, which works on the principle of a centrifugal pendulum, the engine behaves immaculately even at low rpm, providing an extremely comfortable ride.

The three-cylinder sound - emotional and dynamic. In addition to the high-revving characteristics and gratifying responsiveness, the emotional sound of the engine also makes an important contribution to the driving experience. Because the frequency of the sound of a three-cylinder engine increases 50 percent faster than that of a four-cylinder, the engine is perceived as being extremely vivacious and sporty.

The forward-looking engine strategy of the BMW Group is the driving force behind lowering fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. Today, BMW TwinPower Turbo technology is used in petrol and diesel engines of various powers and capacities. With the introduction of the new Efficient Dynamics family of engines, this technology becomes the common characteristic of both types of engine, with three, four and six cylinders. Through the targeted development of additional components that can be used both for petrol and for diesel units, the BMW Group is steadily increasing the number of identical components within the family even further. In this way technical solutions in both current and future versions can be used on all of the engines, regardless of the number of cylinders, combustion method and power.

The BMW engine module system maximises synergies. The basis of the new family of engines is a common design principle for in-line units. The basic engine is made up of optimized cylinder modules with capacities of 500 cc each, developed to the pinnacle of thermodynamic efficiency for use in a passenger vehicle. Consequently the new three-cylinder engine has a capacity of 1.5 litres, the four-cylinder unit is 2.0 litres and the six-cylinder is 3.0 litres. The power developed in each cylinder is between 30 and 55 kW (at 60 - 80 Nm) in the case of the petrol engine, while the diesel develops between 20 and 45 kW (at 75 - 110 Nm).

High degree of commonality between petrol and diesel engines. The structural similarities between the petrol and diesel engines include the distance between cylinders, the aluminium crankcase, the balance shaft design, the arrangement of the timing chain, the layout of the cylinder head bolts and the high-quality coating on the cylinder bore surfaces. Overall, the number of identical parts used in engines powered by the same type of fuel climbs to 60 percent, while the level of structural similarities between petrol and diesel engines is around 40%. Even more benefits are provided by standardised interfaces. In addition to the identical engine mounting points, these are primarily the interfaces to the cooling circuit, the intake and exhaust manifolds and the heating and air conditioning systems. Compared to current models, the number of possible combinations in these areas has decreased by about half. Finally, all of the power units have the same "cold" intake and "hot" exhaust sides. This is why the three and four-cylinder engines in this new family are eminently suited to both longitudinal and transverse mounting in future BMW and MINI models.

Decisive development, flexible manufacturing, premium quality. With the new modular engine, the BMW Group will in future be able to build three, four and six-cylinder power units delivering different levels of performance, each perfectly matched to its respective vehicle. This results in larger volumes, leading to significant savings in both development and production. In addition, the high degree of commonality facilitates the development of additional engine versions, which can then be realised economically at short notice, even in relatively small numbers.

For the first time, petrol and diesel engines belonging to this new range can be manufactured together, at the same time, in the BMW Group's engine production facilities. In this way, even short-term fluctuations in demand or new market developments can be addressed flexibly, with great success.

The future is here. The architecture for the new series of models and new engines has already been defined. With the BMW Group's new Efficient Dynamics family of engines, it is also possible to provide for a wealth of new models of automobile in the coming years. Because theoretically, the new family of engines could provide ten ultramodern petrol and diesel engines with three, four or six cylinders, for vehicles with both longitudinal and transverse engine positions.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #807
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Give the thread a break, you're talking to yourself. I still don't buy the idea that you're not a shill when you've been repeatedly bumping this thread with promo material and essentially carrying a conversation with yourself. It's gotten so bad that you're going completely off-topic just to keep this thread at the top.

I stopped posting regularly, but I still browse. I almost feel like regularly bumping every other thread on top of this just to keep it at the bottom. Aren't there forum rules that require threads to stay on topic anyways?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #808
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

If you want to talk about other mfr's engines, make a different thread that's germane to the topic.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #809
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Give the thread a break, you're talking to yourself. I still don't buy the idea that you're not a shill when you've been repeatedly bumping this thread with promo material and essentially carrying a conversation with yourself. It's gotten so bad that you're going completely off-topic just to keep this thread at the top.

I stopped posting regularly, but I still browse. I almost feel like regularly bumping every other thread on top of this just to keep it at the bottom. Aren't there forum rules that require threads to stay on topic anyways?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
If you want to talk about other mfr's engines, make a different thread that's germane to the topic.

This last thread page has 16 posts (17 with this one)... from those 16 posts, 10 are mine and 7 out of those 10 are STRICTLY about the Toyobaru, the others are only to answer to posts like yours... except for the last one which is about the BMW 1.5-liter TwinPower Turbo three-cylinder engine.

The fact that other manufacturers are disclosing their vision on the future of the engines with downsized turbocharged, direct injection 'torquey' petrol engines, mainly the Toyobaru's competition, is just a testament of the reasons why I keep on claiming for this solution in the Toyobaru (STi or otherwise) and why I think it should have been there from day one.

Not everybody agrees with me so I've been trying to explain the merits of such solution which BMW is also adopting and promoting. So, I will keep on highlighting these GOOD examples.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #810
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Look how far back such a compact and LIGHT engine can be mounted...

The nice threesome sound...

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 09-19-2012 at 03:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #811
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

While I would be extremely happy if Toyota and Subaru agreed on mounting a 1.6l Turbocharged direct fuel injection boxer engine in the Toyobaru I really think they could go even deeper.

After reading what BMW says about 'optimized cylinder capacities of 500 cc' in their new 1.5l three-cylinder engine:

Quote:
The basic engine is made up of optimized cylinder modules with capacities of 500 cc each, developed to the pinnacle of thermodynamic efficiency for use in a passenger vehicle.
and knowing that a three-cylinder boxer engine is a contradiction in terms I looked at the new 1.0L, 3-cylinder Ecoboost Ford engine uprated to 205 hp and realized that in order to retain the 'optimized cylinder capacities of 500 cc' that BMW talks about, the Toyobaru with a 1.0-liter, 2-cylinder turbocharged boxer engine rated at 205 hp would bring back faithfully the successful (0.8-liter horizontally opposed two-cylinder boxer engined) Toyota Sports 800 lightweight concept of yore :

This is already implicitly suggested by Toyota themselves :

Also, they could retain the same 86mm x 86mm (bore x stroke) dimensions and consequently the respective logo :

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 09-21-2012 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #812
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

No Nissan Toyobaru rival

Quote:
Nissan’s ‘Mini Z’ axed 18 months ago in favour of Juke, planning boss confirms
Nissan’s global product planning boss has killed off rumours the company is building a ‘Mini Z’ rival for the wildly successful Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ coupes.

Andy Palmer, Nissan Motor Company Executive Vice-President in charge of global product planning, told motoring.com.au the company had backed the goggle-eyed Juke mini crossover as the best way to communicate with a younger audience, rather than a traditional coupe in the same spirit as the defunct 200SX.

“We have a sportscar, we have the Z, but we don’t have a small Z coming to market,” he said.

Mr Palmer, in Australia last week for the local launch of Nissan’s luxury brand Infiniti, also confirmed he was pushing local management to start selling the Juke in Australia.

“It’s more a question of time than anything else,” Mr Palmer said. “It frustrates me that you don’t have it.”

He said the ‘Mini Z’ project – which would have produced a rear-wheel drive coupe – was canned around 18 months ago.

“We went away from 86 and went down the road of Juke as a conscious decision. Gen Y and definitely Gen Z are less interested in that kind of execution of sportscars. We think Juke Nismo – which we introduced at Le Mans – is a much more profound way of going to market.”

Based on the same Nissan B platform as the Micra, the Juke is a 4.1-metre front/all-wheel drive five-door city-wagon offering both petrol and diesel power.

The Juke Nismo, which goes on-sale in early 2013, includes styling updates, suspension tuning and uprated performance from its 1.6-litre turbo-petrol engine.

Mr Palmer said the sale of 350,000 Jukes per annum suggested Nissan had made the right call as it prioritised chasing the youth market.

“We think the Juke Nismo is a much more relevant execution,” he said.

Mr Palmer’s push for Juke to come to Australia included a meeting with Nissan Australia Managing Director Bill Peffer at Brisbane airport last Friday night. Mr Peffer is also a fan of the Juke and keen to bring it into Australia. As we’ve reported, after being on-and-off for Australia, the edgy Juke crossover is expected to be announced for local release at the Sydney Motor Show in October.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #813
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Honda CEO confirms that the new Civic Type-R is on track for a 2015 debut and wants it to be the fastest front-wheel-drive car around the Nurburgring!

Quote:
Honda says the new Civic Type R will be influenced by the Civic World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) car, which suggests that it will get a turbocharged engine for the first time.

The WTCC car has a turbocharged 1.6-litre petrol engine and the Type R could get a version of this.
Honda's previous Type R models have all used high-revving naturally aspirated VTEC petrol engines.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #814
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

BYE-BYE TURBO-LAG... the game is rapidly changing:

2013 WRX could get game-changing electric turbo

Quote:
Subaru, which is owned by Fuji Heavy Industries, is said to be working on a revolutionary new electric turbocharger. In 2007, the Japanese company filed a patent for an electrically-powered turbocharger and it is reported by Drive Australia, that the 2013 WRX could have the game-changing technology when it comes out.

The ground-breaking technology being developed by Subaru, would trap heat energy from exhaust gases, generating electricity to power the turbo. The traditional turbo needs complicated piping to generate the extra power, where the new electrically-powered turbocharger would create power more efficiently and also have less turbo lag.

(...)

Would the success of an electric turbocharger in the next generation WRX give good reason for Subaru to apply the same technology to the Subaru BRZ?

Audi future engines: Electric turbocharger is coming

Quote:
Audi's electric biturbo technology

In advanced diesel development at Audi’s site in Neckarsulm, engineers developed this new electric biturbo technology that uses a secondary compressor that boosts the main turbocharger at lower engine speeds. All turbochargers use energy from the exhaust to drive the turbo. The problem with conventional turbo’s is the torque needed for power becomes gradually greater only as the exhaust energy increases.

Audi’s new electric biturbo makes it possible, independently of the exhaust energy available, to build up charge pressure quickly and achieve high levels of torque even at very low rpm’s. This eliminates turbo lag and offers an instant increase in torque and power. The biturbo uses both a turbine wheel driven by the exhaust gas stream, and an electrically driven turbine that accelerates to very high speeds in an extremely short time.

Audi says, the electrically driven compressor is placed after the main turbocharger and intercooler in the charge air path. And when the main turbocharger’s energy output is low, the air is directed into the electric compressor and is compressed there a second time thus boosting the power at low revs.

The results of the new Audi electric biturbo are impressive. In preliminary testing, torque buildup occurs significantly earlier, and the driver experiences a distinct boost in performance immediately. Both BMW and Subaru have also been developing their own electric turbochargers with Subaru looking to put the new technology on the next generation WRX engines.
Appreciate 0