BPM

05-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Track Days

Having been roaming about the forums for a couple of months since getting my M3 - and in need of a new hobby (tried golf last year, but couldn't stop sneezing) - I'm of the opinion that I really should get a track day under my belt.

Also, thinking it would be pretty useful to have a good session one-to-one with an instructor on how to master the basics before tearing round on my own.

Anyone got any advice on where to start and further info about open track days etc - I don't want to turn up and not know what I'm doing!!!

How does insurance work if you go in your own car?

How long will it be before I can hold my own at the North Loop?

Is there an equivalent to the Spartanburg M School (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...SchoolFAQ.aspx) nearer to Blighty?

Suggestions?????

Last edited by themetz; 05-14-2009 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: no reason
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

im not sure where you are located but most tracks offer instruction when you first go. i went to pacific raceways on monday and did an entire day of driving skills including a whole afternoon of lapping at speed. i already sent in my returning drivers form and plan on going again in 2 weeks where i will get another hour of instruction before im turned loose on my own. not sure what you mean by holding your own but its like any other sport, say golf, you dont turn into tiger woods without a huge amount of work. that being said its about as much fun you can legally have. do it.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Thanks for the post chris - I'm in the UK so looking for something just as you've described, but over on this side of the water!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
J1220
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
Thanks for the post chris - I'm in the UK so looking for something just as you've described, but over on this side of the water!
Hi mate, I'm in the same boat as you. Dont really want to prang me new car before really getting to enjoy it. Take a look at this.

http://retail.motorsportvision.co.uk/m3-master.aspx

Let me know if your close to London maybe we could do it on the same day.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Hi J - already booked in on this next week. Will let you know how I get on!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
J1220
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe 09

Quote:
Hi J - already booked in on this next week. Will let you know how I get on!
please do mate...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Had a right good laugh on this track session - orgainsed by Motor Sport Vision.

Get 2 x 15/20 minute driving sessions blasting round in one of their M3s - also had a couple of laps round with one of their instructors (Stu) who was unbelievably quick and skilled with the drive prog on 6 and all the dsc off!!

Can highly recommend this to novices (like me) - it's a real eye opener on what your car can really do!

PLus, you get 10% discount booking via:
http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/bmwmagazine

Incidentally, one of their race engineers confirmed that if you want to track your car EDC is a MUST HAVE OPTION to get the maximum out of the cars performance (something to do with riding up on the yaw without it ???!!)

This taster session has really got me in the mood to try another day with them later in the summer - they've got a whole host of cars to thrash around!

Maybe we should do a group session...
http://www.palmersport.com/palmersport-gt.aspx

???
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Good write-up! Sounds like you had a lot of fun

I've tracked my M at Snetterton and it was great fun! That way you get to push you car the the limit and you have all day to enjoy the circuit, not just a few short sessions. They are very professionally organised and SAFETY is paramount so you shouldn't have any problems. I highly recommend a track day
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Incidentally, one of their race engineers confirmed that if you want to track your car EDC is a MUST HAVE OPTION to get the maximum out of the cars performance (something to do with riding up on the yaw without it ???!!)
Well, well, well - who'd have guessed that, huh!!!!!?

On a serious note, great write up - i was thinking of doing this a while ago but it sounded like a lot of money for what seemed like very little track time. I'd be up for a group thing if we can get something organised.
      05-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Well, well, well - who'd have guessed that, huh!!!!!?:

I knew you'd like that BB !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
On a serious note, great write up - i was thinking of doing this a while ago but it sounded like a lot of money for what seemed like very little track time. I'd be up for a group thing if we can get something organised.
Can't deny that 2 x 15 minute slots didn't sound like much to me either - but to be honest at the end of the second session I was finding it hard to stay focussed. And I ony managed 4mpg!!! As an absolute novice it's more than enough - but if you've done a track day before, you're right, it's probably not the right thing to do. But if you are a novice it is well worth 162 quid!

Also been looking at this: http://www.catdrivertraining.co.uk/
Appreciate 0