BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

07-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #1
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Lowering springs, yay or nay. Also, Eibach vs. H&R?

Two main points to this thread.

The first:

I am very apprehensive about cheaping out when it comes to suspension. I have done it all (short of being super ghetto and cutting springs) on all my past cars. Springs, Sleeve over coils, full coilover kits. You name it. Never had a $4000.00 coilover setup though, and never will, because I don't track enough to justify it, and I just don't need it. Being that I have done some fairly cheap suspension work in the past, I am at a point now where if I am not spending $5000 on coilovers, I would rather just leave the car stock. This brings me to my dilemma..

I really want a little bit of a drop. My rear sits perfect IMHO, but the front is too high for me. I think .75" drop in the front would be perfect. Right now, I am running 12.5/15mm spacers on ZCP wheels. Any suspension work for me is purely cosmetic. That being said, can anyone give me some first hand, knowledgeable, real world experience of lowering springs on an EDC equipped M3? I am mostly afraid of ruining ride quality. The M3 to me, while not the best handling car in the world handles very good. In Sport Plus it is like riding on rails. In Comfort it is a little soft in the turns for me, but that is the point of Comfort mode.

Before I get too off topic and go off on a tangent, Ill get to the point. I am looking to lose some wheel gap, but keep handling like stock, or improve it if possible, but certainly not lose some ride quality just to sit a little lower. I was going to do the KW Sleeve Over kit, but after reading how perfect Eibach springs are on a ZCP M3, I am thinking of just doing springs and being done with it.

Are springs a good fit for me? Can anyone give me any reason I should not do springs? I am not a track junkie, so I don't need a $4000,00 set of coilovers. But if there is any chance I am sacrificing handling, I would rather sit at stock height. I've read several people say that Eibach springs handle just like stock, but someones opinion of ride quality doesn't mean anything. I'd like someone with stats and technological knowledge of suspension geometry to tell me if doing springs is in any way adversely affecting the handling of the car.

The second:

Eibach, or H&R springs? I have read on a ZCP equipped car (which mine is) that Eibach springs drop the rear very slightly (which is perfect for me, since I think the rear is almost perfect) and drop the front half an inch or so (which I feel would be near perfect as well). But I have also read that H&R springs drop slightly more in the front than the Eibach springs. So which would you run in my case for the perfect drop? Just FYI, my idea of the perfect drop is 1 finger width between the fender and the tire, and the edge of the tire flush with the outside edge of the fender. I know this might be hard to achieve without coilovers, but which between the two would get me closest front and rear? My car isn't a track vehicle, but I am looking for something that can handle light track duty, but still be full streetable for a daily driver/weekend toy.

Sorry for the long thread.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Swift R/Spec springs with our EDC works perfect and feels Oem.
This is how the drop looks..
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
digitalpersona
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Blk/Blk

have you tried ?
I swear there have been a few recent threads on this exact topic (just too lazy to go find for you)

I just picked up a set of Eibach springs. H&R is more aggressive, so i opted for in the middle, which is just right.

Will be installing myself in the next few weeks if i can find time. Will try to post pics before/after.

Stock EDC is super, and i wanted to retain that. No adverse effects from springs based on all of my research, except of course a lighter wallet. install alone costs as much as springs twice over. So I'm opting to install myself and only pay for the wheel alignment afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was debating between Swift or Eibach and chose Eibach. Many because Eibach drop is a little less and I wanted the option of having a lip without destroying it every time I went into a parking garage. H&R was out from the start because from what I read it had the worst ride and for me the drop was too much.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Loadedl77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: speedhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Swift R/Spec springs with our EDC works perfect and feels Oem.
This is how the drop looks..
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
Two main points to this thread.

The first:

I am very apprehensive about cheaping out when it comes to suspension. I have done it all (short of being super ghetto and cutting springs) on all my past cars. Springs, Sleeve over coils, full coilover kits. You name it. Never had a $4000.00 coilover setup though, and never will, because I don't track enough to justify it, and I just don't need it. Being that I have done some fairly cheap suspension work in the past, I am at a point now where if I am not spending $5000 on coilovers, I would rather just leave the car stock. This brings me to my dilemma..

I really want a little bit of a drop. My rear sits perfect IMHO, but the front is too high for me. I think .75" drop in the front would be perfect. Right now, I am running 12.5/15mm spacers on ZCP wheels. Any suspension work for me is purely cosmetic. That being said, can anyone give me some first hand, knowledgeable, real world experience of lowering springs on an EDC equipped M3? I am mostly afraid of ruining ride quality. The M3 to me, while not the best handling car in the world handles very good. In Sport Plus it is like riding on rails. In Comfort it is a little soft in the turns for me, but that is the point of Comfort mode.

Before I get too off topic and go off on a tangent, Ill get to the point. I am looking to lose some wheel gap, but keep handling like stock, or improve it if possible, but certainly not lose some ride quality just to sit a little lower. I was going to do the KW Sleeve Over kit, but after reading how perfect Eibach springs are on a ZCP M3, I am thinking of just doing springs and being done with it.

Are springs a good fit for me? Can anyone give me any reason I should not do springs? I am not a track junkie, so I don't need a $4000,00 set of coilovers. But if there is any chance I am sacrificing handling, I would rather sit at stock height. I've read several people say that Eibach springs handle just like stock, but someones opinion of ride quality doesn't mean anything. I'd like someone with stats and technological knowledge of suspension geometry to tell me if doing springs is in any way adversely affecting the handling of the car.

The second:

Eibach, or H&R springs? I have read on a ZCP equipped car (which mine is) that Eibach springs drop the rear very slightly (which is perfect for me, since I think the rear is almost perfect) and drop the front half an inch or so (which I feel would be near perfect as well). But I have also read that H&R springs drop slightly more in the front than the Eibach springs. So which would you run in my case for the perfect drop? Just FYI, my idea of the perfect drop is 1 finger width between the fender and the tire, and the edge of the tire flush with the outside edge of the fender. I know this might be hard to achieve without coilovers, but which between the two would get me closest front and rear? My car isn't a track vehicle, but I am looking for something that can handle light track duty, but still be full streetable for a daily driver/weekend toy.

Sorry for the long thread.
Personally I would 'divorce' the entire spring thought from my mind (if it were me). You paid a premium for the ZCP package. your shocks are different (dynamic mode in sport) and so is your spring (lower yes but unsure about the spring rate, I am likely to say it is a bit stiffer using logic - lower spring will be compensated by higher rate; unless someone corrects me).

So that said, your suspension is working in harmony now. Eibachs are only 10% or so stiffer than stock. ZCP assuming is stiffer than stock so you'll only benefit from slight lowering (marginal) but you'll have to use shorter shock bump stop in the front for increased travel (search up on it).

Will you benefit from being faster? Few 10ths on the clock at track maybe. Will the car look any much lower than it is? It will be to your eyes only.

I have Eibachs and Bilstein EDC. Only because I had stock shocks which were kinda wearing out (needed rebound on track). Compared to my friends stock ZCP it looks very much similar ride height wise.

Not worth the labor, time, effort etc. ZCP is factory matched "competition package". There I saved you tons of $$

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

The ZCP strut, shock and spring ratings are all identical to non ZCP. The only difference is the perch height on the ZCP strut is lower and the EDC ECU Sport program is dynamic.
      09-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
Dalthar
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Have you considered the Dinan Spring Set with the Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling kit? I've been looking at these as I'm also looking for a drop without sacrificing ride quality or performance and these look like they might tick those boxes.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I love my Eibach springs, the ride is just like stock and the lowering looks great.

(past) 2012 E92 M3 - Melbourne Red - Eibach Springs/AG M359/ performance spoiler/ performance splitters/10mm spacers, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Alpine Stage 2 Tune.
Appreciate 0