BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

04-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #111
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

I'm not having any luck this weekend. I just swapped my standard pads back into all four corners, because I wasn't crazy about the low-dust pads I was trying as an experiment.

Pushed the pistons back in using Kaiv's method of levering the caliper against the carrier. I had forgotten to open the master cyl cap, but they went back in fine anyway.

After, I added a few ounces of fluid to the master cyl res to top it up.

Now I have a soft pedal that goes to the floor before the brakes engage.

Any thoughts? I know how to bleed the system if I have to, but what a PITA. I can't imagine how I might have gotten air in it changing the pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #112
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantyTracker View Post
I'm not having any luck this weekend. I just swapped my standard pads back into all four corners, because I wasn't crazy about the low-dust pads I was trying as an experiment.

Pushed the pistons back in using Kaiv's method of levering the caliper against the carrier. I had forgotten to open the master cyl cap, but they went back in fine anyway.

After, I added a few ounces of fluid to the master cyl res to top it up.

Now I have a soft pedal that goes to the floor before the brakes engage.

Any thoughts? I know how to bleed the system if I have to, but what a PITA. I can't imagine how I might have gotten air in it changing the pads.
It will go to the floor the first 2-3 times per corner you press until the pistons go back in place. The thinner the pads the more times the pedal will go to the floor. Before you start driving you are supposed to pump the brakes until pedal is hard again.

How many times have you pumped your brakes?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #113
WarrantyTracker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post
It will go to the floor the first 2-3 times per corner you press until the pistons go back in place. The thinner the pads the more times the pedal will go to the floor. Before you start driving you are supposed to pump the brakes until pedal is hard again.

How many times have you pumped your brakes?
Good tip, thanks. Unfortunately, this is not just the soft-pedal from re-positioning the pads. It's beyond that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #114
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

how low was the fluid in the master cylinder? you might have introduced air at the reservoir level. Anytime you push a caliper piston in, you should pump the pedal to get the fluid back down into the caliper before moving on to the next caliper
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #115
WarrantyTracker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
how low was the fluid in the master cylinder? you might have introduced air at the reservoir level. Anytime you push a caliper piston in, you should pump the pedal to get the fluid back down into the caliper before moving on to the next caliper
Fluid in the res was about 2/3, so there was headroom. Good tip about snugging up the pads at each corner as I go. Will make it easier to bolt 'em back anyway.

Solution to my problem above: new vaccum pump. By coincidence, unrelated to the pad swap, it died. Took it to the dealer a couple weeks ago and they fixed me up.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #116
Edmbimmer88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3

Has anyone that had the wear sensor trip cleared the brake code with a Bavarian Technic Tool? And was it easy to clip on the brake wear sensor?

Out of all the steps to take I found that to be the hardest!
2009 BMW M3 e92
- TE37's
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #117
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

anyone know the minimum thickness on the factory rotors before they need replacing?
      08-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #118
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
anyone know the minimum thickness on the factory rotors before they need replacing?
Front or rear?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #119
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
Front or rear?
Both.
      08-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #120
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

It is on the rotor itself. May need cleaning to see. Front is 28.4 and rear 26.4 if memory serves.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #121
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is on the rotor itself. May need cleaning to see. Front is 28.4 and rear 26.4 if memory serves.
Nice. Thank you.

This is my first brake job. So I doubt the rotors will need replacing. But I'll measure them up anyway.
      08-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #122
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice. Thank you.

This is my first brake job. So I doubt the rotors will need replacing. But I'll measure them up anyway.
Just look at the edge of the hat to confirm what I said. Rotors are good for a lot of sets of pads. I ran probably 8 sets of race pads before replacing my rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #123
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice. Thank you.

Just look at the edge of the hat to confirm what I said. Rotors are good for a lot of sets of pads. I ran probably 8 sets of race pads before replacing my rotors.
Sounds good.

I don't track. I may go here in the future once or twice. But is there a certain pad you recommend? Or should I just go with factory replacements??

If aftermarket, where can I buy them?
      08-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #124
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good.

I don't track. I may go here in the future once or twice. But is there a certain pad you recommend? Or should I just go with factory replacements??

I would say maybe the stoptech st pad if you don't plan on tracking. Talk to harold at hpautowerks or richard ar M-world. I haven't used them because I use race pads but they are supposed to be okay for light track use and good on the street without a lot of noise like a race pad which will make your car sound like a bus.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #125
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds good.

I would say maybe the stoptech st pad if you don't plan on tracking. Talk to harold at hpautowerks or richard ar M-world. I haven't used them because I use race pads but they are supposed to be okay for light track use and good on the street without a lot of noise like a race pad which will make your car sound like a bus.
Right on dude. I will contact them.

Thanks for your help.
It's appreciated.
      04-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #126
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Thank you for the write-up! Very helpful yesterday.

COLLAPSING PISTON - agreed, no need for a c-clamp. After everything is unbolted and you're ready to pull the caliper off the rotor, just grab hold of the back of the caliper with both hands and simply put some heavy weight into it. Pull toward you for about 10-15 seconds and the piston will slowly collapse, completely.

A91 Edition Supra | Armytrix | Rays
M3 Saloon | Akrapovic EVO | B&G Sport
M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #127
anodyne88
Go White Sox!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Manual

Caliper pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nez View Post
My sliding pins wont fit back in the carrier

I was swapping my rear pads and had no problems removing the 2 pins but I just couldn't screw them back in once the pads had been swapped. I tried swapping pin positions (top / bottom) but neither of them screwed back easily. I even tried screwing them without the calipher being on to see if they screwed in straight and had no luck. They became stuck halfway in and seemed to be on an angle that wasn't 90 degrees to the rotor.

I cleaned the carrier holes with a cloth and q tips. There was quite a bit of brake pad dust in there which i cleaned as best i could but that only helped a bit.

The pins weren't stripped of their thread but the threads weren't in flawless shape either.

I managed to screw them in with only 3 - 4 mm of the pin thread exposed and put plastic caps and the anti rattle clip back on. The caliper felt secure and I couldn't move it when i tried with my hand.

I'm going to have to take it to the stealership tomorrow to get it checked out I guess but I simply can't drive it far without the pins being fully in.

Question - can i drive it at all to the dealer or is it too risky with a rear caliper that's not fully secure. I suppse there's a risk the pads will stick as the caliper won't be able to slide back and forth easily but is that the worse that can happen?

I had the hardest time with this too. I don't know what the problem was but they would not got back in or the top one threaded off center. I finally got it to work but not sure how. Took me 2 hours to get this. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be making it more difficult or how to make it easier?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #128
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

have the front right caliper off now trying to get the rotor off. stripped both positioning bolts on the rotor! of course it is Saturday night so I cant get replacements until after I need to be at work Monday. Neither will budge cleaned with brake part cleaner and lubed with wd40. no worky.

what is the best thing to do here?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #129
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

The second rotor came off fine. Had to drill out the stripped positioning bolts on the first rotor. a problem for another day...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #130
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
subscribed
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #131
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Glad I could help
i didnt see you replace the sensors on the pads? did u delete the sensors? and what is the likeliness of the sensors breaking when you remove them? ive heard you have to replace them when replacing pads and then ive heard you dont have to replace them?

is there a certain way to remove them without them breaking?
      02-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #132
SkyNet
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS (M3 Soon!)

I've spoken to a few mechanics who say you have to replace the rotors every time you replace pads. Is this accurate?
Appreciate 0