BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
VF-540 Self-Install & Test Pipes

This past weekend I began my install for my new VF-540 kit I purchased from Marco at McKenna BMW. Part of the install was also to include some Turner test pipes I'd purchased awhile ago that I hadn't bothered putting in yet. Additionally, I had planned to throw on some Eibach springs, but that plan got axed once I realized the wheel hubs seemed to be rusted to the wheels. I wasn't about to force them off and thought it'd be prudent to just let a shop handle that.

Anyway, I got started with the test pipes Saturday afternoon. Dropped the whole x-pipe, chopped off the cats with a reciprocating saw and installed the new pipes. I was a little bummed that the test pipes aren't flared at the ends but are straight cut that you install an exhaust coupling over both the x-pipe and test pipe. A flared end would probably allow for more adjustment and a better seal, but I was able to align the pipes and used some high-temp RTV sealant in case there were any irregularities in the clamping of the coupling. Everything lined up well; and no leaks were detected. The car is really loud paired w/ the //M performance exhaust. It sounds like a race car. The inconel exhaust material I think has a lot to do with the sound. Very unique.
Onto the supercharger kit, I started that Sunday morning and have gotten most all the parts off the car that I will need to minus the injectors. Right now I'm at the point where I'm about to drop in the supercharger bracket assembly. That was a few hours of work. The instructions included with the kit seem to be fairly adequate so far; I did notice that some others stated that there seemed to be steps "missing". Haven't come across something like that so far, but I'll be sure to update if I do. One thing that I really wish the kits shipped with are some caps for the radiator hoses as they just puked coolant everywhere when I disconnected them. Couldn't do much but let it spill out onto my garage floor. Also, the kits come with a flash drive that has the program to tune the car, but the instructions for the hardware install comes on an optical disc. Not sure why they couldn't just load it all onto a flash drive as my laptop doesn't have an optical drive. Not a big deal though.

I hope to get the supercharger bracket installed tonight and I'll update later with some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
datninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3

The support bracket that doubles as a spacer goes to the first heat shield bolt not the second. I got hung up on that for way too long
      05-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
=[monkey]=
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f82 m4

I took sandwhich bag with rubberband to cap off the coolant spill
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Ran into a snag tonight... looks like I might have gotten an incorrect spacer for the supercharger bracket. We'll see if I'm overlooking something here or what.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

So cool to see this being DIY'ed at home. Much respect to you. Subscribed for further updates
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by datninja View Post
The support bracket that doubles as a spacer goes to the first heat shield bolt not the second. I got hung up on that for way too long
Are you talking about the lower u-bracket that bolts to the alternator? Not sure what other spacer/bracket there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
So cool to see this being DIY'ed at home. Much respect to you. Subscribed for further updates
Thanks; I like to do all my own work. Projects like this help familiarize yourself with the car so it's not so daunting when something fails and you need to troubleshoot it, especially once the car is out of warranty.

Here's some additional pictures of the car in its current state, with the gratuitous garage shot :P
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Are you talking about the lower u-bracket that bolts to the alternator? Not sure what other spacer/bracket there is.
I think he is referring to the the long support bar that attaches to the supercharger plate.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
datninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3
Quote:
I think he is referring to the the long support bar that attaches to the supercharger plate.
Yes this
      05-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
datninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That is exactly where the long support bracket goes in your pics it doubles as a spacer.
      05-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
=[monkey]=
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ran into a snag tonight... looks like I might have gotten an incorrect spacer for the supercharger bracket. We'll see if I'm overlooking something here or what.
1.950 goes in between bracket and alternator
And the 1.850 goes in between the vf tensioner and bracket

In the photo you show missing bracket on blower is the support looking rod that looks like it has a weld on it... make sure that on the right way, it connect to the heat shield

I did this install too many times lol
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by =[monkey]= View Post
1.950 goes in between bracket and alternator
And the 1.850 goes in between the vf tensioner and bracket

In the photo you show missing bracket on blower is the support looking rod that looks like it has a weld on it... make sure that on the right way, it connect to the heat shield

I did this install too many times lol
That's where most of my delay was as well. The instructions, if you received the old ones, depict a different bracket. The version 2 bracket has less holes so the numerical hole doesn't match the corresponding spacer. You definitely want to attach bolts loosly and attach the support bar to the supercharger before you drop the bracke into position.
      05-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
=[monkey]=
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
That's where most of my delay was as well. The instructions, if you received the old ones, depict a different bracket. The version 2 bracket has less holes so the numerical hole doesn't match the corresponding spacer. You definitely want to attach bolts loosly and attach the support bar to the supercharger before you drop the bracke into position.
Yes leave that loose! The support bracket so you move it easily

Instruction is crap period!! Lol there hasnt been a update that i know of.
Awesome kit still!! I wish they included a intake duct piece already cutted out like ess with a rubber linning for more proffesional look....owells

Here is where 1.850. and 1.950 goes ( A & B )

Last edited by =[monkey]=; 05-14-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is exactly where the long support bracket goes in your pics it doubles as a spacer.
ha, hilarious that's the first thing you mentioned as advice and it ends up being where I get tripped up anyway! Thanks a bunch; I'll give it a shot tonight when I get off work!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by =[monkey]= View Post
Yes leave that loose! The support bracket so you move it easily

Instruction is crap period!! Lol there hasnt been a update that i know of.
Awesome kit still!! I wish they included a intake duct piece already cutted out like ess with a rubber linning for more proffesional look....owells

Here is where 1.850. and 1.950 goes ( A & B )
Thanks for the picture; it should definitely help me out. Maybe VF should include it in their instructions
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
Gil@McKennaPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO M sport 2 series

Looking forward to the completed project!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
VF technical support responded quickly; they confirmed what you guys told me about the support bracket being the missing spacer. They enclosed a picture of where it mounts to.. I've attached it in case someone needs to reference it in the future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
=[monkey]=
First Lieutenant
Rep

It a fun diy! Good luck hope all goes well! Pm if your lost
Be sure to make clearance if the blower touches the chassis....about .200 clearance as mention in instruction
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
datninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ
Quote:
ha, hilarious that's the first thing you mentioned as advice and it ends up being where I get tripped up anyway! Thanks a bunch; I'll give it a shot tonight when I get off work!
Hey it's all good, that seems to be where most people get hung up at.
      05-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Looking good

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
All right, I got a chance to work on the car again for a few hours this Sunday after it sat for a week untouched. I've got the supercharger bracket assembly installed, belts installed, coolant lines reconnected. Last things to do are injectors and then the manifold and intake tube. Shouldn't be more than 2-3 hours of work left.

I attached some pictures of my progress along the way.. I overlooked that the upper radiator hose needs to be replaced (maybe I should have actually read the instructions) and saw that although the stock one fits in place, there are clearance issues with the tensioner pulley, so using the VF supplied one help out :P Supercharger volant housing needed some additional clearance to the fender, so a Dremel helped out there. Also, the supercharger needed to be clocked just a bit so it'd look nice and level. The replaced tensioner pulley is pretty tight, so I improvised a tool to get a little more torque to depress it enough to get the supercharger belt in place. The vacuum tubing needed to be ziptied away so as to not interfere w/ the throttle linkage. I took a picture of how I routed it; similar to how VF recommends although a slight variation. Shouldn't have any problems the way its done.
Wish the instructions included the torque setting for the water pump pulley bolts. I set them around 15 lb/ft.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Nice shot of the shop dog. I just reused my top radiator hose. Same dimensions. Didn't want to deal with the cutting for the quick release.
      05-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Picture 4 is an upside down picture of the original upper radiator hose in place w/ the supercharger bracket installed and the tensioner pulley. You can see there is no clearance and they're actually in contact. Then picture 7 shows the new supplied hose installed and the clearance with that. The hoses look identical when next to each other, but you can see the difference between the two when they're installed. If you did use the original radiator hose, you are lucky it fit with enough clearance. I'd double check it though just to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0