BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

02-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
M3Power_
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKillaMafia View Post
You should become an anesthesiologist like me. We can have fun becoming a doctor together.
Ive heard those jobs are VERY well paying jobs. I'm down for the challenge!
      02-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #24
M3Power_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Perhaps, where do you live? I am Uptown...
I live in metairie, go to school in gentilly though. I went to I think the first small cars and coffee meet though in lakeview once. Not sure if your car was there or not.
      02-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #25
M3Power_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Follow your dreams and get whatever you want. Forget what people have to say, it's your money.
I'll preach it.
      02-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #26
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Power_ View Post
Don't get a job solely for the money. Find a job that makes it feel like it's not a job. I love being able to say that.

And yes, E9x M3's will be in the same price range as an E46 M3 in a couple of years.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #27
JR429
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: W212, GTR, 997 TT; F10 M5

Quote:
Not in 10 years with Obama care hahaha. J/k it's a noble profession and well paying profession I have a few friends that try to stay awake on the OR.

Do what you want and chase your dreams, but don't forget a good education. Don't listen to anyone else, at 15 I wrenched on peoples cars, 22 (after college) I owned a 4wd dyno... If you want it bad enough you'll get it.
      02-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #28
M3Power_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Don't get a job solely for the money. Find a job that makes it feel like it's not a job. I love being able to say that.

And yes, E9x M3's will be in the same price range as an E46 M3 in a couple of years.
I hear that a lot. I just have a tough time debating on what I want to do in life. I want to be involved in business, yet I know a lot about Apple products. (iPhones, iPods, Macs, etc.) I also draw a lot in class, and I've tried making a few concept cars just from doodling. Designing BMWs would be pretty awesome though..

Either way I wanna do something I enjoy doing. I see where you're coming from.
      02-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #29
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, Lotus Exige S260

Garage List
Quote:
I'm 16 years old as of now, about to be 17 in two months. Ive always been a car enthusiast my whole life from just being amazed by supercars when I was younger, and I still am now. I'm friends with a neighbor of mine that owns an E92 M3 that I've driven before, and I would consider it one of my dream cars. I'm pretty obsessed with M3s and BMWs period, haha. My question to all of you out there, is where will the E90 and E92 M3s stand in a out 5-10 years? Will they all be sold to owners who will never sell them? Or will they just end up being a collectors item and cost ungodly amounts of money to purchase? I'd just love to own an M3 one day with a naturally aspirated V8.

Back when I was 16 I purchased a cheap Porsche roadster back and spent the next several years restoring it while dreaming my beater-914 was a german super car

OP, honestly, remember that your tastes in cars may change in the amount of time you are talking about. When I was 16/17 I really didn't like BMWs at all. Now I've owned every generation 3-series from the e30 till now.

Also, all cars depreciate. Even my partner's Ferrari depreciates. There is no such thing as a car you will drive that won't go down in value. My weekend car is #13 of only 25 made... and it will still go down in value. The e92 M3 will not be a collectors item.

Maybe you'll have the money for an M4. Maybe an e92 M3. Perhaps an e42 M3 - or even "only" the great e36 M3 (a wonderful driver's car). Or maybe you'll like something more than BMWs by then.

Save your money now. Decide what you want to drive and where your budget is closer to the time you will buy. When you get 6-months out then start shopping in earnest. Any choice will be easier when you have an account full of cash and are ready to buy.

Best of luck,
-Scott
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #30
jdogg2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Carrera GTS

I'm sorry, I have been following this thread patiently and had to comment on some of the remarks I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I strongly second this statement. With Obamacare coming down the pipeline, healthcare professionals are bracing for a new way of life. Don't choose a profession based on what you think you'll make someday... This is coming from the point of view of a practicing anesthesiologist.

I make pretty decent money, sure, but it wasn't until I was 30 that i was done with my training. Coincidentally, that was the year I got my first M3 . The M3 was one of my childhood dreams as well! Before that, I drove hand me downs that included a Mitsubishi minivan and Buick LeSabre, lol. I enjoy my job, but it is extremely stressful at times, and I will never forget some of the sacrifices I made to get here (missing out on time/experiences with friends and loved ones, failed relationships, etc.).

The days of Doctors being "rich" is long gone... In Southern California, I'm middle-class... Still have a hard time affording a house here, have to be careful to manage my expenses... And $$$ is hard-earned no matter what field of medicine you are in. Even as an attending, I wake up before 6am every day and sometimes work 24 hour shifts... do that for a while and you learn to appreciate the value of money (and your free time!). I have more $ than I did before, but it is hard work making it, and therefore it is hard to waste.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining... I also feel privileged to be able to do what I do, and it is greatly rewarding. My advice is just to find what suits you and give it your all. If you work hard, make the sacrifices that need to be made, and dedicate yourself to being the best you can be at whatever field that is your passion, I think you will look back at your life and consider it a "success."

With that said, I guarantee you that there will be M3s/M4s out there when you are ready. You are at a special age. Don't lose your childhood trying to prepare for the future, but believe me when I say that time flies, and you don't want to look back at your life and feel like you wasted it. BALANCE... never forget about your future, but enjoy every day because you never know when it might be your last!

//'04 330i ZHP (gone) //'07 E92 335i (gone)//'08 SG E93 M3 (gone)
//'11 Z4 sDrive35i (gone)//'11 Jet Black E92 M3 (gone)
//'11 Carrera GTS

Last edited by jdogg2000; 02-07-2013 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #31
MDIVISION
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Too much car. Too young.
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #32
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg2000 View Post
I strongly second this statement.
Great post doc. Thanks for your work.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #33
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

I AM GLAD YOU GUYS DID NOT BASH ON THIS KID. GOOD READ, ESPECIALLY BY THE SO CALLED, DOC.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #34
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Nothing gets more important than your personal health. Take good care of yourself by having a healthy lifestyle then to proceed to chase your dreams. I wish you well and yes, I believe the E9X generation M3s will still be attractive in, lets say, 5-10 years from now.
      02-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #35
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloyalty View Post
Too much car. Too young.
As a 31 year old, I'd like to think I'm more mature these days as oppossed to when I was 18, haha. But I'd have to agree with the above.

OP, no offense but unless you're VERY mature when you're ready to buy I'd start with something less powerful. Example: When I graduated high school my parents bought me a brand new Integra GSR, 170hp and 140lb of torque; that was PLENTY back then. Looking back I still drove that more wreckless than I should have, street racing ect ect.

I don't want to turn away your passion and enthusiam for a great car (M3). But perhaps if you have chance to get one, really, really, really, look into some lesson on how to handle that beauty. It would probably be a great learning experience and prepare you for that much car.

Then again the M4 is coming out so you may move on to something new. Me, I plan on a 13' M3 (LAST of THE V8's) in 15' around the same time my 335 CPO expires. Unless the M4 is incredible of course.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #36
M3Power_
Rep

@smc6079 - I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Money saving is probably a big part in buying such an expensive car..thanks for the effort you put into your post, haha
@jdogg2000 - thanks for the backround and all the positive feedback. Appreciate it!
@Mloyalty - you probably read the first sentence of this thread, haha. Go back and read the whole thing. Definitely not looking to own an M3 at 16. I would kill myself so fast. I'm talking about looking into them when I'm in late 20s or whenever they are affordable for me.
@py0413 - I try to take pretty good care of myself. I would say I do. Can't wait to see what new E9x's bmw produce in the future years though.
@BV335 - as I said before, definitely not getting an M3 anytime soon at all. I drive my dads old 2006 Honda Accord with 160hp and 140k miles on it, haha. Not going anywhere fast. I feel like I'll break it if I go over 4k rpms, haha. Wish you the best with your future '13 M3 though! M4 seems like It will be really cool.
      02-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #37
M3Power_
Rep

I see this E92 M3 everyday coming home from school. It's sad that it will probably never sell. It has sat there for probably 6 months and has never moved. I went and test drove it with my dad though just for fun, haha. it was a blast. http://www.raybrandtinfiniti.com/veh...KG9C58BE369154
      02-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #38
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da M3nace View Post
I AM GLAD YOU GUYS DID NOT BASH ON THIS KID. GOOD READ, ESPECIALLY BY THE SO CALLED, DOC.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #39
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroZeus View Post
Study hard, put in hard work. Make better decisions when your friends are going out and drinking and living paycheck to paycheck.

I'm 24, living the dream with an E90. (It isn't paid in full - but just saying - it's do-able)
You, sir, are very smart. M3s, Porsche 911s, Audi RSR4s and so on are for folks with disposable income. Get an education, a job, a house and a family (family is optional... there are pros and cons) then consider toys. I drove Toyotas into the 200,000 mile range, paid my bills, got four kids through college then in 2001 got my first Porsche (at 47 years old). No regrets.

Now, I am prowling the M3 forums. I just need a little bump to do another ED to pick up a new M3. Someone... give me a little shove.

Oh yeah... my must have car was a 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396. It is great to dream and reach in your youth.
I don't think the dream of an old school classic should ever go away. Im positive when I retire I'm going to buy a 60s muscle car. I just hope they won't all be rusted away by the.
      02-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #40
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
I don't think the dream of an old school classic should ever go away. Im positive when I retire I'm going to buy a 60s muscle car. I just hope they won't all be rusted away by the.
The time to buy is now..think of it as a retirement plan
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #41
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

For those that say don't just get a job for the money..... I want to add that you shouldn't go for a career you'll hate but there is a thing called "reality" and money makes the world go round. Ok I'm going to stop now before I go into a tirade about how [for example] bohemian artistic types end up having to suck up welfare money that hardworking people pay for
      02-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #42
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
For those that say don't just get a job for the money..... I want to add that you shouldn't go for a career you'll hate but there is a thing called "reality" and money makes the world go round. Ok I'm going to stop now before I go into a tirade about how [for example] bohemian artistic types end up having to suck up welfare money that hardworking people pay for
Its great to do what you love and make money at it..but rare..

between the two I'll take the money ..and I do
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #43
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloyalty View Post
Too much car. Too young.
Agreed. This car might have killed me when I was younger. Sht, it still might kill me.

I recommend getting an older turbo car with a smaller engine, like a Subaru WRX. Then you can afford to fix it when it breaks and buy performance mods. I think these are safe enough cars so you might not wreck it or die.

This M3 is too expensive to maintain and repair. Get an affordable car when you are young and then get a nice car when you are older and deserve it more, ideally after you buy a house.
Appreciate 0