BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

05-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
suggestions:

add negative camber.
slow down a little.
run a sqaure setup, so you can rotate your wheels.

These cars are heavy, and while they use camber preety well, it does not save the front tires on tight low speed corners.
So was I incorrect in assuming that longer higher speed turns will cause more wear to the outside? Is it the low speed tight turns that will fry your outside tire if taken too fast, as it allows the wall to "roll over"?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
So was I incorrect in assuming that longer higher speed turns will cause more wear to the outside? Is it the low speed tight turns that will fry your outside tire if taken too fast, as it allows the wall to "roll over"?
.. great I had this great reply written out, and lost the whole thing. fack.

Heavy braking from high speed into a slow, tight corner will always be more abusive to a tire than braking into a medium speed corner.

We're not smart enough to defeat physics yet, so we have to learn some conservation. Easiest way to make the tire last (longer) is to reduce speed, and keep the tire from rolling onto the shoulder as much.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #25
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Hey man. I'm looking into the camber plates then as well. Yeah that 90 degree left is brutal coming off the back strait, but I feel like I'm entering many of the turns too fast....lots to work through.

I'm running the stock 18s for track use, not perfect but it works for a leased car. The aftermarkets are for DD. The better track set-up of course might be a square set-up of maybe 18x10 all around. I guess it's just a money thing at the moment. I may be getting NT05s mounted on the 18s considering the performance/cost benefit.

I'm not signed up for AAA with CCA yet, but maybe you've just pushed me over the edge.

Just come out!! It's like our home track.
I'll be at Laguna Seca with the CCA that Monday if you're up for that too.

I don't trust the PS2's on the track anymore. I almost slid off at Willow Springs when I was getting fast on the second day. The fronts got greasy and there was no bite after a few hot laps.
I ran the Vreds at AAA on a much hotter day, and had no issues.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #26
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Check out JAJ's tires after a track event with camber plates.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389198

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #27
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Update.....

I went with Nitto NT05 on the 2 fronts (245/40/18) and left the rear PS2s. The NT05s held up well and performed nicely at AAA Speedway this weekend with even wear. Great value for performance IMO. I didn't get the camber plates installed yet.

I'll run the PS2s on the rear until they're done and then add NT05s there as well. I think the fitment for the rear will have to be 265/35/18.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #28
Realpimp23
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 JB

Nothing over PS Cup!!