BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

12-16-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Question BMW iX M60: BMW's future?

Hi all!

I'm pretty sure I got a taste of BMW's future when I test drove the new iX SUV. If you're into luxury and EV performance, the future is bright!

The iX impressed me on a few levels. First, its air suspension delivers a blissfully smooth ride. (I'll bet the massive curb weight helps level the bumps, too.) Then, this dual-motor SUV packs tremendous torque and the iX simply catapults away from stop lights.

Given the soft ride, I thought the iX would be a sloshing mess in the corners, but the opposite was true. The suspension senses your intentions and really hunkers down and keeps the body tidy when you hoon through the hills.

I also quite liked the iX's cabin. There's great forward and side visibility, very generous seating front and rear, and all sorts of whiz bang technology which I didn't have time to explore. I thought the Relax and Effusive drive modes were a bit silly—they match the powertrain settings with climate, massage, mood lighting and sounds—but having the acceleration sounds made by Hans Zimmer is an inspired touch. If you're faking engine sounds, let's make it fun and musical! BMW found a nice balance between Tesla tech (screens and trimmed-back dashboards) and old school luxury (cut-glass controls, leather surfaces, massage seats, etc).

If I was looking for an SUV of this size, the iX would be my pick. The smoothness of an EV powertrain pairs well with the iX's luxury mission, and everything feels well thought out and well built. It drives so well that I'd ever be willing to overlook its questionable face.

(I've got more iX thoughts and pictures here on my blog.)

Best,
Mike

01-24-2023, 07:36 AM   #2
brandon harris
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
Hi all!

I'm pretty sure I got a taste of BMW's future when I test drove the new iX SUV. If you're into luxury and 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 EV performance, the future is bright!

The iX impressed me on a few levels. First, its air suspension delivers a blissfully smooth ride. (I'll bet the massive curb weight helps level the bumps, too.) Then, this dual-motor SUV packs tremendous torque and the iX simply catapults away from stop lights.

Given the soft ride, I thought the iX would be a sloshing mess in the corners, but the opposite was true. The suspension senses your intentions and really hunkers down and keeps the body tidy when you hoon through the hills.

I also quite liked the iX's cabin. There's great forward and side visibility, very generous seating front and rear, and all sorts of whiz bang technology which I didn't have time to explore. I thought the Relax and Effusive drive modes were a bit silly—they match the powertrain settings with climate, massage, mood lighting and sounds—but having the acceleration sounds made by Hans Zimmer is an inspired touch. If you're faking engine sounds, let's make it fun and musical! BMW found a nice balance between Tesla tech (screens and trimmed-back dashboards) and old school luxury (cut-glass controls, leather surfaces, massage seats, etc).

If I was looking for an SUV of this size, the iX would be my pick. The smoothness of an EV powertrain pairs well with the iX's luxury mission, and everything feels well thought out and well built. It drives so well that I'd ever be willing to overlook its questionable face.

(I've got more iX thoughts and pictures here on my blog.)

Best,
Mike

I'm diggin this design ! looks nice

Last edited by brandon harris; 01-24-2023 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0