BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-11-2015, 02:48 AM   #1
///FAB
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Space Grey

First HPDE @ ThunderHill

Finally did my first track day and uhh...Why have I not done this before?!?!?

I had a blast at Thunder Hill raceway in my 2009 E92 ///M3!
I'm hooked and I cant wait to go back.
I did the event with NCRC

Took the car with current mods:
KW sleeve over kit
ECS tuning front brake rotors with Hawk HPS pads
Brake fluid with 509 boiling point
Volk TE37 9.5 and 10.5
Michelin PSS 255/35/19 and 275/35/19

i must admit this car was much more than I could handle. My first session alone I felt the brakes fade a lot (probably using too much) but felt better every session after that.
Michelin PSS are not the greatest track tire. Definitely felt some oversteer.
Suspension was too bouncy
Can probably use more negative camber.

For my next track day I would like to:
Install KW V3 coilover kit that I already have
Camber plates to get some negative camber on front/rear
4-Point SCHROTH harness with stock seat
Maybe different track wheels and tires?

Anyone experienced track drivers have any advice?
Much appreciated!!
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

on my first track day, i was running michelin pss' as well, but i got a lot of understeer rather than over steer. i think the tires got tired before the brakes did. i didn't experience brake fade until i went with a stickier tire.
do get a set of track wheels/tires. you won't feel as guilty as you will tearing up a set of street tires, and you won't get the rubber and deposits on your street wheels.
i can use more camber as well, but be careful with this if you daily drive your car. lots of camber up front for the street will have premature wear on the inside.
      10-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
///FAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
on my first track day, i was running michelin pss' as well, but i got a lot of understeer rather than over steer. i think the tires got tired before the brakes did. i didn't experience brake fade until i went with a stickier tire.
do get a set of track wheels/tires. you won't feel as guilty as you will tearing up a set of street tires, and you won't get the rubber and deposits on your street wheels.
i can use more camber as well, but be careful with this if you daily drive your car. lots of camber up front for the street will have premature wear on the inside.
Thank you for the feedback! I'll have a to find a place to do an alignment before and after the track so I don't chew up my tires so quickly then. Hmmm

Currently researching a different tire for next time. I've heard good things about AD08
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Nice!! Congrats and welcome to the world of really enjoying your M ?
Some track days are coming up at limerock if your interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

That is awesome. I love Thunderhill and NCRC is a great group to go with.

My suggestion would be to definitely install camber plates, and get a dedicated track set for wheels and tires. The camber will help with the cornering grip as well as tire wear, so it's really a win-win. As far as wheels/tires go, I would recommend a square setup to balance out the steering. 18x10 is a popular setup with 275/35/18 square. You'll be able to rotate your tires to make them last longer, and the car will feel more balanced.

If you want to keep a staggered setup like you have already, 265 would be a better fit for the front wheels and 285 for the rear, but I'd definitely go 18s to keep the costs down and benefit from a taller sidewall.
      10-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
///FAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksm3 View Post
Nice!! Congrats and welcome to the world of really enjoying your M ?
Some track days are coming up at limerock if your interested.
I know right? haha Finally putting it to do what it was designed to do.

That track looks nice! I'm in California tho.
Thanks for the invite
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
///FAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post

My suggestion would be to definitely install camber plates, and get a dedicated track set for wheels and tires. The camber will help with the cornering grip as well as tire wear, so it's really a win-win. As far as wheels/tires go, I would recommend a square setup to balance out the steering. 18x10 is a popular setup with 275/35/18 square. You'll be able to rotate your tires to make them last longer, and the car will feel more balanced.

If you want to keep a staggered setup like you have already, 265 would be a better fit for the front wheels and 285 for the rear, but I'd definitely go 18s to keep the costs down and benefit from a taller sidewall.
A set of track wheels is definitely on the top of my list for next mods.
Oh thank you for that recommendation! Any preference in tire?

I did not want to take my Volks initially but I was not able to purchase a set of wheels before hand. I definitely want to do 18's to fit a meatier tire on there.

Thank you for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
OP, I went 18x10 275/18 all around with Potenza RE71Rs for my track set of tires and get phenomenal grip. The tires let me get away with murder. Also went with a Dinan front sway bar as well. Haven't done camber plates yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
frostie321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Hey! I was there as well. In the Silver E90 M3.

I would with what has already been suggested here. Definitely go with more camber and more a slightly more aggressive tire like Z2 Star Specs or RS3s. Not too aggressive as you are still learning the car. Doing both made my E90 much more easy to drive, mine had a lot of oversteer stock with the PSS.

Cheers
      10-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #10
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FAB
Quote:

A set of track wheels is definitely on the top of my list for next mods.
Oh thank you for that recommendation! Any preference in tire?

I did not want to take my Volks initially but I was not able to purchase a set of wheels before hand. I definitely want to do 18's to fit a meatier tire on there.

Thank you for the feedback!
Personally I use the Hankook RS3, but I've heard great things about Yoko AD08, Dunlop Z2 Star Spec, and Bridgestone RE-71R.

I don't think you can go wrong with any "extreme performance summer tire" for the track.
      10-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #11
///FAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
OP, I went 18x10 275/18 all around with Potenza RE71Rs for my track set of tires and get phenomenal grip. The tires let me get away with murder. Also went with a Dinan front sway bar as well. Haven't done camber plates yet.

Awesome! Just signed up for a group buy to get some Apex RC-8's 18X10
Definitely leaning towards the Potenzas.

Thanks for chiming in!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #12
///FAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie321 View Post
Hey! I was there as well. In the Silver E90 M3.

I would with what has already been suggested here. Definitely go with more camber and more a slightly more aggressive tire like Z2 Star Specs or RS3s. Not too aggressive as you are still learning the car. Doing both made my E90 much more easy to drive, mine had a lot of oversteer stock with the PSS.

Cheers
Oh cool! Were you the one adjusting your suspension inbetween heats? haha

Yeah I don't want to go with such a crazy set up because I still have much to learn. I want to grow with it.

When is your next one? I might do Laguna November 28
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
///FAB
Private
Rep

Quote:
Personally I use the Hankook RS3, but I've heard great things about Yoko AD08, Dunlop Z2 Star Spec, and Bridgestone RE-71R.

I don't think you can go wrong with any "extreme performance summer tire" for the track.
Those are the ones I'm spending some time researching.
Excited to see the difference in tire grip
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FAB View Post
Awesome! Just signed up for a group buy to get some Apex RC-8's 18X10
Definitely leaning towards the Potenzas.

Thanks for chiming in!
You'll like the apex wheels - they're tough and they're light. I use EC-7s and they have survived a few "off the beaten path" expeditions
Appreciate 0