BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

10-04-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

Auto Club Speedway ROVAL 10/15

Making slow and steady improvement. Stock ZCP M3. Even the brakes. Everyone's advice was right. I'm at the point where I need better pads due to deposits. Any critique for the beginner is appreciated!

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Your lines are really nice. Your steering inputs are excellent. Looks like you are taking it easy though. So I would say you just need to keep doing exactly what you are doing but start pushing harder.
      10-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
elim11
Major
Rep
Drives: e90m3

I agree with okusa. nice and smooth, but you should attack the roval section harder. it's scary, but once you build up the confidence, your laptimes will drop a ton.

Looking good.
      10-05-2015, 12:44 AM   #4
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

so far watching, a few pointers....(I make the same mistakes but this is my intention when driving lol).

last turn before front straight, turn in a little more, then straighten our earlier and hammer it but stay lower - creep up later - the distance will be shorter so you will gain time there.

end of the front straight - you will see 321 markers on the right side, get right up on the wall then you can turn in much slower with a ton more speed - I hammer it until 3 and then turn in between the 2 and 1 marker. turn in slower but hit the same apex and try to keep your speed up. as soon as you apex, full throttle (this is the part where it's just a matter of being comfortable at speed)

turn 5 - experiment here. you can double apex, throttle steer, do it the way you do it, or full on drift (most fun) - I don't like going wide because with speed the car doesn't like to turn in and our cars aren't acceleration monsters anyway.

turn 9 - looks a little early (i always get this wrong too but i tap tap the throttle to rotate the car.

turn 12 - looks a tad early, use more of the track on the left side when approaching it

turn 13 - get more left looks like you are middle. if you get more left you can get back on the right side of the track and be more straight

turn 15 - I get right up on that tire pile. my side mirror will be right up on it. when you do this with more speed, you have the space on the right to work with. I can't tell if you tapped the brake here to turn in but don't use brakes here - a lot of ppl touch the brake here. In fast cars I get it, in our cars, no need (or am I just slow?)

(back to the top)

Last edited by M3 Number 86; 10-05-2015 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 12:51 AM   #5
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

one more thing....

if there are no cones on the inside of the track entering the straight CUT IN!! haha you will gain time there for sure
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #6
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice gents. This is so much fun. Can't wait to get out again.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86
so far watching, a few pointers....(I make the same mistakes but this is my intention when driving lol).

last turn before front straight, turn in a little more, then straighten our earlier and hammer it but stay lower - creep up later - the distance will be shorter so you will gain time there.

end of the front straight - you will see 321 markers on the right side, get right up on the wall then you can turn in much slower with a ton more speed - I hammer it until 3 and then turn in between the 2 and 1 marker. turn in slower but hit the same apex and try to keep your speed up. as soon as you apex, full throttle (this is the part where it's just a matter of being comfortable at speed)

turn 5 - experiment here. you can double apex, throttle steer, do it the way you do it, or full on drift (most fun) - I don't like going wide because with speed the car doesn't like to turn in and our cars aren't acceleration monsters anyway.

turn 9 - looks a little early (i always get this wrong too but i tap tap the throttle to rotate the car.

turn 12 - looks a tad early, use more of the track on the left side when approaching it

turn 13 - get more left looks like you are middle. if you get more left you can get back on the right side of the track and be more straight

turn 15 - I get right up on that tire pile. my side mirror will be right up on it. when you do this with more speed, you have the space on the right to work with. I can't tell if you tapped the brake here to turn in but don't use brakes here - a lot of ppl touch the brake here. In fast cars I get it, in our cars, no need (or am I just slow?)

(back to the top)
Awesome turn by turn instructions. I will definitely try your tips next time out. By the way, the infamous dangerous cussing corvette dude with the sidekick was back out there! This time driving a Ferrari 458 Italia. Crazy right?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
Awesome turn by turn instructions. I will definitely try your tips next time out. By the way, the infamous dangerous cussing corvette dude with the sidekick was back out there! This time driving a Ferrari 458 Italia. Crazy right?
WTF?! I thought he was getting a Viper. Was his "instructor" there too!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86
Quote:
WTF?! I thought he was getting a Viper. Was his "instructor" there too!
Hahaha. Yes he was. My cousin was in black group in a C2S and said "instructor" stared us down. We stayed out of the way dude.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha. Yes he was. My cousin was in black group in a C2S and said "instructor" stared us down. We stayed out of the way dude.
HAHAHAHAHAHA. good call.
Appreciate 0