BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #23
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
I've been on RS Pro for 18 months or so. They have always performed well but the smartest thing I did was to get a proper height adjustment and alignment over at West End in Gardena. That totally transformed my car. My specs are:

3,746 lbs with me and 1/3 tank
Springs are 550 front 750 rear
Front -3.2 and 0 toe
Rear -2.5 and 3/32 toe in
I have absolutely zero understeer

After that I ran 1:54:08 at BRP 13CW

Hope that helps
NA or SC? Wowsers. Straight pipe should be worth another 2 secs!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #24
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
NA or SC? Wowsers. Straight pipe should be worth another 2 secs!
Haha. SC. Have Akra Evo now and will keep x pipe and ditch rear section for straight pipes. Must have moar loud!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #25
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Okusa, can you share your compression and rebound settings? I have no clue where to even start with those TBH
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #26
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Okusa, can you share your compression and rebound settings? I have no clue where to even start with those TBH
Crap. I responded to your pm but I guess it didn't go through.

I'll tell you my settings, but it won't correlate to yours, or anyone else's, setup. Why? Because it my limited experience it is both valve and track dependent. When I ordered my set I asked for a street/track setting because I was daily driving my car and wanted something livable on the street. However, after one of my rear dampers leaked, I sent them for service and they were revalved to allow greater compression. So, now 1 compression click is equal to what used to be 6 (I like compression).

Before the revalve at BRP I ran fastest at 10/20 front and 10/18 rear. I would suggest you run a session there and then back off rebound 2 clicks front and rear and see if you like that better or worse. It's going to be a bit of a guessing game until you dial it in.

At Big Willow I go with a little less rebound because to still and it gets a bit jittery around turn 8.

At super smooth tracks with gentle berms like Laguna Seca and Chuckwalla I pretty much go full stiff.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #27
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa
Quote:
Helps very much! Thanks! I guess a fast local tracker with the same suspension is exactly what I was looking for. Judging by that lap time I have no doubt your car is setup extremely well, not to mention you must be a hell of a driver!! When are you going back out there?

YGPM!
Glad to help. 11/20 with Speed District.
Isn't 550 and 750 too soft?
Also would you mind sharing your rebound compression?
      10-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #28
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3SennA View Post
Too soft for what? The whole point of buying high-end dampers is to rely on the dampers, not the springs. I'm always surprised when people spend big dollars on dampers and then over-spring their cars, essentially robbing the dampers of their opportunity to perform.

Quote:
I did. See above.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #29
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Too soft for what? The whole point of buying high-end dampers is to rely on the dampers, not the springs. I'm always surprised when people spend big dollars on dampers and then over-spring their cars, essentially robbing the dampers of their opportunity to perform.

Quote:
I did. See above.
Thanks. Good to know. It's just that I've seen many people saying the e92 for its weight, needed like 900 or even more lbs on the rear. I'm about to get the rs thought. Not rs pro, but the for the info. I was about to order 700 front 900 rear.
      10-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #30
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3SennA
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I did. See above.
Thanks. Good to know. It's just that I've seen many people saying the e92 for its weight, needed like 900 or even more lbs on the rear. I'm about to get the rs thought. Not rs pro, but the for the info. I was about to order 700 front 900 rear.
I ended up going with JRZ recommendations. If I were to make a change (which I may because I just recently added aero) I would still only go 600/800. If you daily your car I would think any stiffer would be rough (at least on LA roads).
      10-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #31
kaiv
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Crap. I responded to your pm but I guess it didn't go through.

I'll tell you my settings, but it won't correlate to yours, or anyone else's, setup. Why? Because it my limited experience it is both valve and track dependent. When I ordered my set I asked for a street/track setting because I was daily driving my car and wanted something livable on the street. However, after one of my rear dampers leaked, I sent them for service and they were revalved to allow greater compression. So, now 1 compression click is equal to what used to be 6 (I like compression).

Before the revalve at BRP I ran fastest at 10/20 front and 10/18 rear. I would suggest you run a session there and then back off rebound 2 clicks front and rear and see if you like that better or worse. It's going to be a bit of a guessing game until you dial it in.

At Big Willow I go with a little less rebound because to still and it gets a bit jittery around turn 8.

At super smooth tracks with gentle berms like Laguna Seca and Chuckwalla I pretty much go full stiff.
Great info, thanks for all the tips!

BTW, how did you gain your understanding of damper settings and their effects? Trial and error? I have a basic and admittedly limited understanding of compression and rebound; I'm not sure whether I would know which knob to turn which way for a given scenario but I'm working on that

I guess I'm a little anxious that it might take me a lot of time experimenting to figure it all out but I will definitely try what you said
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #32
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

pm

Kaiv, Did you get my pm days ago? You could hire a pro to drive and set up your car. That way you wouldn't have to spend the time, frustration and money.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #33
kaiv
United_States
Rep

I did not get your PM. I did not get Okusa's either yesterday apparently. Weird
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #34
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Kaiv, Did you get my pm days ago? You could hire a pro to drive and set up your car. That way you wouldn't have to spend the time, frustration and money.
Not necessary. Just go get a proper height adjustment/alignment and show up at BWP on a day dogbone and I are there.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #35
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Great info, thanks for all the tips!

BTW, how did you gain your understanding of damper settings and their effects? Trial and error? I have a basic and admittedly limited understanding of compression and rebound; I'm not sure whether I would know which knob to turn which way for a given scenario but I'm working on that

I guess I'm a little anxious that it might take me a lot of time experimenting to figure it all out but I will definitely try what you said
Research, talking with experts and the trial and error of others (mostly dogbone). It seems more overwhelming than it actually is.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #36
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Not necessary. Just go get a proper height adjustment/alignment and show up at BWP on a day dogbone and I are there.
So you and dogbone can drive and set up a car as well as a pro? Maybe you are that good (I don't know you) but I would skip the guess work and get it set up right and in a very short amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #37
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I did not get your PM. I did not get Okusa's either yesterday apparently. Weird
I was just saying you could do one of two things: Hire a pro to set the car up or dyno the shocks and calculate the optimum damping based on motion ratios, spring rates, etc...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #38
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
So you and dogbone can drive and set up a car as well as a pro? Maybe you are that good (I don't know you) but I would skip the guess work and get it set up right and in a very short amount of time.
Let's try and keep things civil.

My very first suggestion was that he get a proper height adjustment and alignment. Kaiv is daily driving his car and doing several track days per year. He is not building a dedicated track car. Sure, anyone can go to a "pro," but this is not a job, it's a hobby. Isn't the point of a hobby to guess, experiment, learn, tweak and eventually improve and learn something along the way? Since when does a "short amount of time" apply to a hobby?

In my opinion Kaiv is doing what we all do. He's asking for opinions and learning from those with more experience with the SAME upgrades he has made.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #39
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Haha. SC. Have Akra Evo now and will keep x pipe and ditch rear section for straight pipes. Must have moar loud!!!
MOAR loud is the way to go...hoping you can make the 14th with the straight pipe. I will be giggling my ass off listening to all these cars
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #40
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

For me (different setup) what I did was set to recommended settings then adjust from there.

If the car is skipping instead of gripping, lower compression until it grips and leave it there.

Now I have to learn what rebound does for front and back LOL. My limited understanding and what I use as a gauge right now is based on how quick the car transitions but I think altering rear opposed to front and vice versa is supposed to dial in the way the car behaves but I have no clue what stiffening/softening does. This is where a pro can help though. Sadly my pro shop guy didn't show up to open test as he thought he was. Damn you!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #41
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:

My very first suggestion was that he get a proper height adjustment and alignment. Kaiv is daily driving his car and doing several track days per year. He is not building a dedicated track car. Sure, anyone can go to a "pro," but this is not a job, it's a hobby. Isn't the point of a hobby to guess, experiment, learn, tweak and eventually improve and learn something along the way? Since when does a "short amount of time" apply to a hobby?

In my opinion Kaiv is doing what we all do. He's asking for opinions and learning from those with more experience with the SAME upgrades he has made.

BTW: you're BW time is sick.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 12:08 AM   #42
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger
Quote:

BTW: you're BW time is sick.
Thanks. It was 87 that day. I'm hoping to crack 1:54 next month when it's cooler.
      10-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #43
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Did you get the V2 RS Pro's? If so, the clickers and adjustment range is different so you wont be able to compare apples to apples against the V1.

I'm running 600/900 on the V2's with the clickers currently set in the middle for rebound & compression. I've only done one track event with suspension so far and don't have baseline yet. The car is not too stiff at all with the current rates and will start to stiffen things up for the next track event.
      10-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #44
kaiv
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for the input! Okusa hit the nail on the head. Yes there is always the option of hiring a pro but I do like to learn, understand and do as much as possible on my own. I do however need some guidance from those more experienced than me, those who have been there done that :-)

I went to Buttonwillow on Sunday and had a pretty good first shakedown with the suspension. I'll type up a little something later!
Appreciate 0