BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-03-2023, 11:40 PM   #23
Dr. Racecraft
Rep
Drives: Raptor

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
You want a 6sp M3, that's all there is to it
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 02:29 PM   #24
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Imo it's absolutely a viable option. I recently bought an E92 at 19k miles. Did a few service items and it's now my DD. I also own a F87 M2CS which I daily drove the past year but now I want to keep the miles low (put 18k miles in 15 months) M2 is garaged for the winter and will only be a weekend car starting next year. Definitely the torque down low is a massive hit in the m3 but that's the point. I get to rev this car all the way to 8k to get the power when I want it. Installed an eventuri intake and AA x pipe and the sound is just intoxicating. When I'm driving around the city, it's comfortable af compared to my CS. M2 is lowered on KW HAS and M3 is stock EDC non zcp. Not just that but it also has the comfort creatures like comfor access, an actual middle armrest, more storage, etc. Not that the m2 has it either but I absolutely hate full digital dash so I'm loving the analog displays. Obviously the other tech is not gonna be the same (head/tail lights, idrive, etc) I updated the maps and it gets the job done for me. The steering feedback is amazing. All modern bmw electric steering racks are numb. The CS is the best imo from all the modern ones. It's super direct but still lacks the actual road feedback that a hydraulic provides. Blessed to have the garage that I do. Wouldn't consider selling, except maybe for a GT3
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      12-03-2023, 09:16 AM   #25
Theodore2
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
I would like to hear people's thoughts on this. Is the gap in capability vs other great modern cars enough to overwhelm the sheer joy of the engine sound/character?
Is your 2018 M2 LCI faster at your local track days than the E9X M3's that show up?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 03:04 PM   #26
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

The M cars after the E9X generation are considerably more capable. For track use, I went from an E92 M3 to an F82 M4 and experienced it firsthand. The leap in performance is quite significant. And the jump from F8X to G8X is just as big (if not bigger).
However, I'm now moving on from the M4 and going back to an E92 M3, well aware that it's slower and less capable. But, in my opinion, the E9X makes up for it in the overall driving experience - better engagement, feel, and sound.
The E9X feels smaller and lighter (even compared to an M2). The sound is WAY better. The throttle response of the S65 being NA is considerably better but lacks the shove of the newer turbo cars by a significant amount. The steering feel is also considerably better in the E9X generation.

I would say it depends on what your objectives are. If you want a fast modern car, then the E9X might not be it. I'd consider them quick, but not fast. But compared to the newer generations of BMWs, they feel quite raw and connected in comparison. But again, at the expense of being relatively slow, lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 07:17 PM   #27
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
E92 M3 blasts 99% of the cars you'll see on the road, especially with M-DCT.
I also have a G87 M2 6-speed but I vastly prefer how my M3 drives and feels.
      12-08-2023, 12:56 AM   #28
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
E92 M3 blasts 99% of the cars you'll see on the road, especially with M-DCT.
I also have a G87 M2 6-speed but I vastly prefer how my M3 drives and feels.
I’d like to hear more about the comparisons of the G87 vs. E92! I’ve driven the G80 and G82 in automatic forms and I own a DCT E92. Could never get into the G Series cars, just too numb and isolated for me. Havent driven the G87 yet though.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 01:16 PM   #29
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
With the advent of fast EVs, “speed” has been democratized to the point where you can drop $90k on a Tesla Plaid or $50-60k on a Model 3/Y Performance and have levels of acceleration that most ICE cars simply aren’t going to compare with, let alone in a similar price bracket. IMO, now is the time to get “experience” cars that offer something special beyond just what’s put on a spec sheet. Most full M cars definitely fit that description.
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2049.50
      01-31-2024, 10:26 PM   #30
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
I also own a F87 M2CS which I daily drove the past year but now I want to keep the miles low (put 18k miles in 15 months) M2 is garaged for the winter and will only be a weekend car starting next year.
Ooh, I'm so curious about the M2CS. It looks like an amazing package! I'd love to drive one!
      01-31-2024, 10:31 PM   #31
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
Ooh, I'm so curious about the M2CS. It looks like an amazing package! I'd love to drive one!
It's a great driver's car. Probably the last best BMW imo but I'm a bit biased in that regard obviously
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 08:30 AM   #32
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksi View Post
With the advent of fast EVs, “speed” has been democratized to the point where you can drop $90k on a Tesla Plaid or $50-60k on a Model 3/Y Performance and have levels of acceleration that most ICE cars simply aren’t going to compare with, let alone in a similar price bracket. IMO, now is the time to get “experience” cars that offer something special beyond just what’s put on a spec sheet. Most full M cars definitely fit that description.
I'm late to the thread, but this is the answer, IMHO. There are so many options for being "fast" now it's crazy. It's also crazy to me that for most of those cars, any grandma can just get in, hammer the throttle, and rip off crazy 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.

So, the answer to driving enjoyment now is focusing more on engagement and feel. Sound is definitely a big part of that equation, which is something the E9x M3 is great for. There's also something to cars that don't have all of the driver assistance features built in. My recommendation now, when people ask, is just - go drive one and see what you think. Go based on fun factor, feel, etc. that's it.
      03-13-2024, 11:44 AM   #33
cliff_m3
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Competition E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
I'm late to the thread, but this is the answer, IMHO. There are so many options for being "fast" now it's crazy. It's also crazy to me that for most of those cars, any grandma can just get in, hammer the throttle, and rip off crazy 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.

So, the answer to driving enjoyment now is focusing more on engagement and feel. Sound is definitely a big part of that equation, which is something the E9x M3 is great for. There's also something to cars that don't have all of the driver assistance features built in. My recommendation now, when people ask, is just - go drive one and see what you think. Go based on fun factor, feel, etc. that's it.
I definitely agree with this. Getting out and driving different cars altogether will give a better idea of what you want to get into.

I personally went from a tuned '08 335xi 6MT making about 450hp to a then-new '21 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti to an '11 M3 Sedan. There are elements I miss from the former 2 that the M3 doesn't have: Alfa styling (personal preference), 335's manual engagement with turbo noises. That said, I'd still buy the M3 over again.

As far as the newer M's go, they are super capable and arguably more reliable/track ready. The only thing they miss is the engagement of the old cars. This horse is beat to death but seriously consider the E90 for purchase if you can swing the fuel & maintenance costs. Simpler platform and ultimately better driving experience in my opinion. Modifications can address its age, specifically the CarPlay retrofits available, among vast options for suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, etc.
Appreciate 0