BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-24-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
sct911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

e92 m3 6MT problem

Over the last few months my m3 has developed a problem that is intermittent. At random times, say for example if i'm stopped at a set of traffic lights and i push the clutch pedal ALL the way to the floor, the car won't go into gear. If i lift the clutch pedal off the floor just a little bit, it will go into gear just fine. Car is 2007 model with 104,000km ( 65,000miles).

Also have problems going into reverse gear first go most mornings. Clutch seems to be fine, it doesn't slip, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I have the same issue actually!
It like falls into gear once you start releasing the clutch right?
I been contemplating on ordering a UCP hoping it fixes that if not it will still be an upgrade to the OEM pedal
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
bkdore
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC

Would an aftermarket clutch stop fix this by keeping the pedal from being pushed down as far?

(I've never experienced this, but I do have a clutch stop)
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
sct911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIFUM3 View Post
I have the same issue actually!
It like falls into gear once you start releasing the clutch right?
I been contemplating on ordering a UCP hoping it fixes that if not it will still be an upgrade to the OEM pedal
Yep once you start releasing clutch it's fine . You ever have any mis shift or gear crunching issues with spirited driving ?

A while back it also felt like my clutch biting point would randomly change and fluctuate from being high , then next day be lower to the floor

Maybe Throw out bearing , master or slave cylinders going bad ?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #5
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

I haven't had any problems even remotely similar with my clutch, but I can vouch for the UCP, it makes the travel much shorter, and brings the clutch pedal pad about in line with the level of the brake pedal, if not slightly below. I don't think that would solve your problem though. You still need a clutch stop with the UCP, and the travel at the top of the lever by the firewall is still the same amount.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Spoolin1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP

If the clutch pedal is being pushed/forced past the release point on the clutch, this can be putting unwanted pressure on the crank thrust bearing I believe. Which in turn forces the crank in the direction of the front of the motor and has me wondering if this could be a cause for the "bearing issue". Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
The.white.m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Change the tranny fluid!!! I was dealing with tranny issues for years... Until i finally spent $60 on a fluid change and its MAGIC. Smooth gear shift, no more of that grind bs... Gets into 1st and 2nd as smooth as 3rd and 4th

https://www.instagram.com/the.white.m3/
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

I've had this issue in every manual I've ever owned (including my E90 M3), for what it's worth.

Edit: also noticed no difference from changing transmission fluid last fall.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #9
Time Lord
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

2007 e90 m3. Smooth shifting still. No notice of change before or after trans flush
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
typhoon711
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT

I have a similar issue on my 2013 6MT ZCP with 45,000 miles. Car is stock. Never been on a track. I just had a third transmission (original plus two new ones) installed about 2000 miles ago. (Also had a new clutch put in with the second transmission). Drove it easy during the break in and had the fluid changed about a month ago. This one has since started doing the same thing.

The prior two transmissions were worst in 2nd gear. This one is worst in 3rd, but also does it in 2nd. Sometimes it simply will not go into gear until I release the clutch. I can sit parked and press the clutch and move the shifter into and out of gear and get it to repeat. It basically just sits against what feels like the synchronizer and will not slide past it. If I am easing around and ease out on the clutch it will usually fall into gear. If I am shifting quickly it won't allow it to fall in and just grinds until the rpm's drop enough that it will fall in. Local dealership seems to agree it is a synchronizer issue.

Took it by the dealership again yesterday and the tech was able to get it to repeat. He says that since they have already put two new transmissions in it, they will have to get BMW involved at some higher levels. Frustrating to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
shirtpants_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon711 View Post
I have a similar issue on my 2013 6MT ZCP with 45,000 miles. Car is stock. Never been on a track. I just had a third transmission (original plus two new ones) installed about 2000 miles ago. (Also had a new clutch put in with the second transmission). Drove it easy during the break in and had the fluid changed about a month ago. This one has since started doing the same thing.

The prior two transmissions were worst in 2nd gear. This one is worst in 3rd, but also does it in 2nd. Sometimes it simply will not go into gear until I release the clutch. I can sit parked and press the clutch and move the shifter into and out of gear and get it to repeat. It basically just sits against what feels like the synchronizer and will not slide past it. If I am easing around and ease out on the clutch it will usually fall into gear. If I am shifting quickly it won't allow it to fall in and just grinds until the rpm's drop enough that it will fall in. Local dealership seems to agree it is a synchronizer issue.

Took it by the dealership again yesterday and the tech was able to get it to repeat. He says that since they have already put two new transmissions in it, they will have to get BMW involved at some higher levels. Frustrating to say the least.
Maybe one of your motor mounts or trans mounts is worn out or out of place?
Appreciate 0