BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

09-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #23
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

My m3 is my first rwd ever so what I did is I went everything stock and went very slow on some parts and every second gear turn or third gear, I would go very slow and try to practice drifting. I would go hard on gas and see how my skills were in correcting the car.... First 10 laps it was a disaster but after that, I started to get hang of it and started to know what to do in those situations. I went home with a huge smile on my face..... Now everytime I go to the track I turn dsc off and it just becomes a natural instinct to correct the car when you are losing it. I love to drive aggressive because I can counter steer almost every turn.... I know it might be slower than smooth, but I rather go slower and go home with a huge smile on my face than doing a crazy lap time. Mdm euro mdm China mdm Japan mdm whatever it's just too intrusive for me.
      09-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #24
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
What track is this? I'm lucky to touch 140 mph before having to brake at the end of the long back straight at CotA, and I definitely don't think I could corner especially well at those speeds, so I have difficulty imagining a sweeper on a regular road course that can be taken at 130 mph by an M3 even if the pavement were smooth. Is it banked? I've seen M3s carry that kind of speed at TWS turning off the NASCAR oval down into the road course area, but that's not sustained cornering, nor is that a typical track. Got video of this track, even if not of yourself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
Must be turn 8 at Willow Springs. However no "novice" driver with minimal mods is doing 130 there in fact very few more experienced guys with lots of mods and aero have the sack for 130 through there.
Randy Pobst isn't even doing that with a Z06....go to 14:40 mark. This is the turn in question.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #25
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3SennA View Post
My m3 is my first rwd ever so what I did is I went everything stock and went very slow on some parts and every second gear turn or third gear, I would go very slow and try to practice drifting. I would go hard on gas and see how my skills were in correcting the car.... First 10 laps it was a disaster but after that, I started to get hang of it and started to know what to do in those situations. I went home with a huge smile on my face..... Now everytime I go to the track I turn dsc off and it just becomes a natural instinct to correct the car when you are losing it. I love to drive aggressive because I can counter steer almost every turn.... I know it might be slower than smooth, but I rather go slower and go home with a huge smile on my face than doing a crazy lap time. Mdm euro mdm China mdm Japan mdm whatever it's just too intrusive for me.
"can counter steer almost every turn" - how many times did you go off on Sunday?

my car is still white from the dust.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #26
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86
Quote:
"can counter steer almost every turn" - how many times did you go off on Sunday?

my car is still white from the dust.
Hahaha. Different tires, different story hahaha
This maxxis doesn't oversteer!! I need to put a sway bar on the rear and stiffer Springs asap if I wanna keep using these tires lol.
      09-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #27
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha. Different tires, different story hahaha
This maxxis doesn't oversteer!! I need to put a sway bar on the rear and stiffer Springs asap if I wanna keep using these tires lol.
ha - I was still worried that my tires were eating my suspension so didn't really go all out. I still haven't taken the wheels off yet to see if clearance was ok. Guess I can do it tonight.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #28
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Must be turn 8 at Willow Springs. However no "novice" driver with minimal mods is doing 130 there in fact very few more experienced guys with lots of mods and aero have the sack for 130 through there.
yes, turn 8. i'm at 120-125 and climbing approacing 8 if i didn't screw up turn 6. i have been told indicated speedo is a bit optimistic. i'll also admit once i do a quick gauge check on the back straight, i'm not looking down going into turn 8. i know for a fact that i'm scrubbing off speed through the turn and i'm not full throttle. i'm definitely not stomping the pedal down to maintain 130 through the corner. i'd say entering the corner, i'm getting very close- but i've been wrong before.

i don't feel like the car is stepping out, though. thats just what the guy behind me said. maybe he was a little more inside and got that illusion.
      09-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #29
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Randy Pobst isn't even doing that with a Z06....go to 14:40 mark. This is the turn in question.

well that settles it- i wasn't at 140 or close. i definitely got my nuts twisted.
      09-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #30
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

i don't feel like the car is stepping out, though. thats just what the guy behind me said. maybe he was a little more inside and got that illusion.
probably because TRACKDAYBRO enthusiasm takes over!

Dude! Saw you go sideways!!

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #31
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Yeah, with my compromised tires I slowed from 120 (on the speedo - so 110 mph over ground probably) to 90 mph, didn't have the gumption to test the limits on turn 8... next time.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #32
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
Quote:
yes, turn 8. i'm at 120-125 and climbing approacing 8 if i didn't screw up turn 6. i have been told indicated speedo is a bit optimistic. i'll also admit once i do a quick gauge check on the back straight, i'm not looking down going into turn 8. i know for a fact that i'm scrubbing off speed through the turn and i'm not full throttle. i'm definitely not stomping the pedal down to maintain 130 through the corner. i'd say entering the corner, i'm getting very close- but i've been wrong before.

Can't look at speedo as it's unreliable.

What times were you running?

I was last at WSIR last June. For reference, I just reviewed my AIM data and I ran a best 1.31.2. I entered turn 8 at 127 and scrubbed down to 118.

I showed up last Sunday and didn't even get to unload the car from the trailer because I noticed my left rear shock was leaking. So I said hi to Josh and left before 8. Total bummer.
      09-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #33
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can't look at speedo as it's unreliable.

What times were you running?

I was last at WSIR last June. For reference, I just reviewed my AIM data and I ran a best 1.31.2. I entered turn 8 at 127 and scrubbed down to 118.

I showed up last Sunday and didn't even get to unload the car from the trailer because I noticed my left rear shock was leaking. So I said hi to Josh and left before 8. Total bummer.
i met you briefly on sunday when you and gabe were trying to figure out the leak. you guys were busy and i didn't want to stick around and be bothersome.

best i did on my second time at the track was 1:40. best time this last sunday was a 1:41. the 1:40 was in much cooler weather, but on oem brakes.
i know i'm leaving a lot on the table, i'm still working on my turn 3-4-5 combo.
      09-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #34
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Ah. Didn't realize that was you. Sorry, I was pretty distracted when we met.

Only point in bringing up lap time was to illustrate how unlikely it is that anyone is near or over 130 in turn 8 unless running sub 1:30.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 05:45 PM   #35
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I get it. I was assuming a bit, and I was wrong.

The point I was trying to make in my original response to the thread was irrelevant to speed. I am curious now though, I have yet to get something to record data besides the timers that josh provides (it's on the long list of things I want).

Good to meet you, I was bummed for you when I saw you rolling back out.