BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

04-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #45
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i use p21s and like it.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #46
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Here is a guide we put together...

http://www.autofinesse.co.uk/guides/
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #47
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
I have been using Chemical Guy's for 2 years and couldnt be happier.
I apply Jet Seal twice per year and wax (quite often) with 50/50. Goes on easy; comes off easy and when I'm done, the light drips off it.

A few previous posters mentioned Zaino. Ahhh, no. The weirdos that make the stuff recommend cotton applicators to put it on and cotton towels to buff it out. I swirled the shit out of my old 335 with their "technique"

Also, can you sissies please stop with the "smell" of your fucking wax.
Agreed, I love Jetseal.

Also, like Martin said, the prep work is most important. No matter how expensive the wax, if the paint is messed up it won't make a bit of difference.
      04-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #48
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
On my recent detail for my E46 M3, I used Auto Finesse Tripple which has some wax product, then with Auto Finesse Tough Coat which is a nice sealant, then finally topped off with Auto Finesse Spirit!

I will say that every product was incredibly to apply and remove! The best part is that smell was almost addicting, haha.

It rained quite a bit the past couple days and the beading is insane!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #49
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
Have you tried Swissvax yet? It is truly amazing to use. Ease of application/removal, the smell, and most importantly, the way the paint looks like you could dive into it. Probably many products out there that are similar, but none are the same, sorry. And Im not saying go get a tub of Crystal Rock, but get some Shield. It is fantastic and lasts for quite some time. Plus all the other products for the tires/wheels, interior, leather cleaning, all of it is natural, smells great and does an awesome job. Only an opinion, much like yours, but Swissvax has done me right...

Nope.

All of the things you mentioned including app, removal, and smell were brilliant for me with the dodo juice.I could have my windows down after a wax and I'd smell lavender... I know no 2 products will be the same, but like i said, when a detailer told me SV couldn't last more than 2 months, i chose DD juice again. There is no reason why a wax pushing a price tag well north of 250 can't last. But hey, we all use what works for each one of us. There is no "one product" for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #50
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Collinite 845 for me over some type of sealant. Currently fourstar UPP
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #51
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
There is no "one product" for everyone.
Absolutely! And we are lucky there are so many products out there to try out. Im going to check out some of the autofinesse products next. Been seeing a lot of positive reviews of it here.
      04-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #52
CallMeWonder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Alpine White

Thanks a lot for the awesome info, I'm gonna start off with a cheap wax and prep treatment to get a feel for what I am doing.

Can you guys point me to some preparation products. I don't know what I'm looking for really.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #53
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWonder View Post
Thanks a lot for the awesome info, I'm gonna start off with a cheap wax and prep treatment to get a feel for what I am doing.

Can you guys point me to some preparation products. I don't know what I'm looking for really.
I'd really look into the AutoFinesse products. It really is a great one stop shop for pretty much everything you need to do a good wash, prep, correction, and protection. Talking with MartinD was very helpful and he aided in my decisions for what products to use to tackle my own paint.

You should hop onto the AutoFinesse website and see some of the products they offer and what fits your needs and budgets. They all work great. Very very easy to use. Provide amazing end results!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #54
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWonder View Post
Check out http://www.autogeek.net. They have a lot of how to's and a forum that you can get all kinds of info from. http://www.autogeekonline.net/

They also have an online store that you can get all kinds of stuff from and it is setup pretty well for the beginner detailer. Their prices are pretty good and sell a great range of products and kits that you can just put together to get started. Like a wash kit which some include wash buckets and interior detailing products, a polish kit that includes an orbital buffer (to use later once youre comfortable), some claying products, and some wax kits that are fairly well priced. That will get you started.

Do a lot of research, buy some stuff, try it out on another car that isnt the M, take some before/after shots, post them on here so that we can see how all your hard work paid off and get much kudos from us forum geeks...

Good luck, and have fun. I think detailing a car is an art and that it really helps you to bond with your car in ways that taking it to someone wont allow you to.

Last edited by Erie Von Otto; 04-04-2012 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: (Disclaimer) I am not associated with autogeek.net
Appreciate 0