BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneristiDriver View Post
991S with PSE sounds better than 99% of cars out there and is right up there with the best.

Why do you have an m5 if you care that much about the sound of a car? The f10 sounds like absolute garbage even with an exhaust.
If u are indeed driving an M3 like your profile suggests, u must be really sorry with this much love for a 911, yet "stuck" with an M3. I don't know what they feed u to make u say this, but your obsession with the crappy flat-6 note is mind boggling. I won't even bother engaging u on the M5 cos i don't think u deserve my time.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #24
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneristiDriver View Post
991S with PSE sounds better than 99% of cars out there and is right up there with the best.

Why do you have an m5 if you care that much about the sound of a car? The f10 sounds like absolute garbage even with an exhaust.
If u are indeed driving an M3 like your profile suggests, u must be really sorry with this much love for a 911, yet "stuck" with an M3. I don't know what they feed u to make u say this, but your obsession with the crappy flat-6 note is mind boggling. I won't even bother engaging u on the M5 cos i don't think u deserve my time.
Let's not take this south. Sound is subjective and an opinion. Just like music is. 95% of the population wouldn't like the sound of performance exhausts cause they are too loud. Again subjective.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
Cl0ud7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Sound is so subjective...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I've owned 4 Porsches including the current 997 turbo I'm driving now and not a damn one of them sound good. Yes the GT3 RS sounds damn nice and obviously the CGT. But a 991? Come on!! I love Porsche's driving characteristics; feel and beautiful craftsmanship but exhaust is not even on par with the V8 in the M3 or the V10 in the E60 M5 not to mention the sound of a Ferrari. Asking Chris Harris opinion on a Porsche is akin to asking Jeremy Clarkson's opinion about an English manufactured sh1tbox. You know what their opinion is going to be before the question is even asked. I love all kinds of cars but no one is going to convince me that any Porsche short of a Carrera GT sounds beautiful.

Last edited by alms211; 08-26-2012 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

I am surprised with the 911's lap time - given it's pretty good power-to-weight and, according to the reviewers, brilliant handling, it seems too slow against other cars. What gives? Tires, driving style, track favoring high horsepower? Or is it really that slow (of course only in comparison to other crazy-quick cars)?

Another thing I do not understand is the huge difference in slip angles on figure 8 among different cars. Why is that and what does it mean?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
The 991S sounds GREAT, much better than the new F10 M5 but not as good as the M3 which is one of the best notes I've heard!! Subjective, of course...

Seriously considering the 991 as an addition to the stable...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #29
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
The 991S sounds GREAT, much better than the new F10 M5 but not as good as the M3 which is one of the best notes I've heard!! Subjective, of course...

Seriously considering the 991 as an addition to the stable...
I was seriously considering the 991 as a replacement for my M3 now that i have gotten the M5. I wanted something less practical and more outwardly sporty. I had thot i could finally treat myself to the much hyped about 911, but felt let down by the sound, steering, and PDK. I honestly won't compare the 991's sound to the M5 cos one is a FI motor and the other isn't. Personally, i would take the lack of sound in the M5 over the 991's somewhat irritating note. It kept reminding me of tin cans for some strange reason. I guess there is no running away from cylinder count here. The M3's high revving V8 is gonna be a tough act to follow for its replacement. I know for a fact that 991 Porsches are out. The other attribute that initially drew me to them was their legendary steering feel. They have taken that away and replaced it with something that doesn't even feel as natural as my M3's steering and the M3's steering is hardly the last word in steering tuning. Many have told me to hold out for the next GT3, but i generally don't like stripped out interior and big spoilers. If they managed to find downforce in their wind tunnel without slapping big spoilers and improve on the sound, I would definitely revisit the idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #30
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I was seriously considering the 991 as a replacement for my M3 now that i have gotten the M5. I wanted something less practical and more outwardly sporty. I had thot i could finally treat myself to the much hyped about 911, but felt let down by the sound, steering, and PDK. I honestly won't compare the 991's sound to the M5 cos one is a FI motor and the other isn't. Personally, i would take the lack of sound in the M5 over the 991's somewhat irritating note. It kept reminding me of tin cans for some strange reason. I guess there is no running away from cylinder count here. The M3's high revving V8 is gonna be a tough act to follow for its replacement. I know for a fact that 991 Porsches are out. The other attribute that initially drew me to them was their legendary steering feel. They have taken that away and replaced it with something that doesn't even feel as natural as my M3's steering and the M3's steering is hardly the last word in steering tuning. Many have told me to hold out for the next GT3, but i generally don't like stripped out interior and big spoilers. If they managed to find downforce in their wind tunnel without slapping big spoilers and improve on the sound, I would definitely revisit the idea.
991 GT3 loses the legendary Metzger engine from the prior GT3 so it will sound similar to the 991S this time around... so cross that one off your list

I would live with the Porsche electric steering for the amazing things they have done with the chassis... perhaps 991.2 is going be the sweet spot of the series... or next year's Cayman since it's going to be their third (?) sports car with the electric steering, third time's a charm right?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #31
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
991 GT3 loses the legendary Metzger engine from the prior GT3 so it will sound similar to the 991S this time around... so cross that one off your list

I would live with the Porsche electric steering for the amazing things they have done with the chassis... perhaps 991.2 is going be the sweet spot of the series... or next year's Cayman since it's going to be their third (?) sports car with the electric steering, third time's a charm right?
Yeah, the new Cayman is on my radar as well. The Porsche sales guy, who is a personal fren, was waxing lyrical about the new Boxster, even more so than the 991. This new generation Boxster/Cayman has better looks and i like the mid layout more than the arse engined 911. The compact size should suit my wife as well
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #32
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

I prefer the 997.2 over the 991 regardless that its a faster car. The 997 just feels more like what a 911 should be.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #33
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster

I learned to drive on a 911. I love that heavy back end! Yea it can get away from you if you're not Porsche experienced, but if you're good with it then it's a good advantage. You know it's fast when the car is shaped like an airplane wing. Mmmmm that flat 6!
Appreciate 0