BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #133
Heps
RedlineSociety
Rep
Drives: RedcarWhitetruck

Ive never owned a 'true' exotic myself, I dont call a dodge viper to be in that league but..

Unless you are ultra wealthy, is the chase better then the actual thing?
Work so hard to reach the goal of being comfortable to afford one, but once youve got it, youve got it then what? (You enjoy your 458 or whichever - yes that is still awesome) But I feel theres a question to be answered here.

Kind of like women, most of the fun is simply the chase..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #134
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heps
Ive never owned a 'true' exotic myself, I dont call a dodge viper to be in that league but..

Work so hard to reach the goal of being comfortable to afford one, but once youve got it, youve got it then what? (You enjoy your 458 or whichever - yes that is still awesome) But I feel theres a question to be answered here.

Agreed. The mind can create infinitely more desirable objects/situations than reality can usually deliver
      12-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #135
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heps View Post
Work so hard to reach the goal of being comfortable to afford one, but once youve got it, youve got it then what?

NO!!!. If youre chasing success and finances for a car, its the wrong reason and a bad business plan lol. Thats a small goal when building a large company. Perhaps the last thing in my mind.

All I can say is 2 things. Drive a super car. Get a friend or someone to let you. Once you do, you will find every possible way to get one on your own.

The whole cost break down can not apply. Our company spends $250k a year on private planes that get flown maybe 15 times a year. I dont even want to know how many first class tickets it would exchange for, but there's no price to put on having a private plane.

A friend (who's a complete arrogant prick) put it well. "If cost was no object, and money wasn't a factor, you're retired with no where to go, and unlimited expenses, would you have the car for its pure enjoyment? "

Garage of 10 cars later, I think I know his answer.
      12-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #136
Heps
RedlineSociety
Rep
Drives: RedcarWhitetruck

Thanks for that. You definitely shed some light on what I was asking. I guess it takes someone whos already ' there' to be able to fully come to the conclusion, which you are and you did " Complete arrogant prick" that made me laugh!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #137
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I didn't read all of the posts so I may be repeating some things... here is my take:
  • The M3 is today's best all-around, practical car with great performance.
  • Nobody needs an M3 much-less anything faster or more exotic.
  • There are certainly more "meaningful" things that we all could be spending our money on.
  • There will always be something faster than what you have.
  • Buy and drive a car that you enjoy driving, which doesn't necessarily mean it's the fastest, or the loudest, or can handle the highest actual cornering G-force.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #138
k-lo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83, 2012 Cayenne Turbo

I can't tell for sure since I'm not even close to owning an exotic, I can only say that whatever object you are passionate about while climbing to the top, will most likely be what you'll be passionate about when you get there (plus some other new things/possibilities which probably opened up for you).

It's all about progression. Years ago I told myself I will be super content when I finally get a Honda S2000, at that time it really fit the bill (fast, agile, sexy, tunable). Fast forward several years after owning one, I wanted something better, more refined, sexier, more power to begin with hence my E92 M3. Will it stop there? I don't think so, but the steps from an S2000 to an M3 seem insignificant compared to moving up from an M3 to a Gallardo or a 458. To the wealthiest of wealthy person this is like any other day in the dealer showroom much like going to Honda picking up a Civic.

I can just imagine the insane maintenance costs of these cars, a friend of mine who owned a Gallardo for 2 years and drove it for 20,000 miles revealed that he spent at least $2.50 per mile of ownership just to maintain/fix stuff on the car (gas not included).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #139
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
From first hand experience, the pain in the ass/enjoyment factor with exotics isn't worth it. Yes it's cool to get the attention at first and knowing the car you own is one of the fastest in the world. Once those feelings subdue, you spend more time worrying about it and hiding from people than actually enjoying the car. Plus you can't enjoy those cars unless you take it to the track, which probably 1% of owners do. I consider there to be a "sweet spot" with cars. Meaning a group factored on price, performance and fun; M3, RS5, 911, C63..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #140
av2
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
From first hand experience, the pain in the ass/enjoyment factor with exotics isn't worth it. Yes it's cool to get the attention at first and knowing the car you own is one of the fastest in the world. Once those feelings subdue, you spend more time worrying about it and hiding from people than actually enjoying the car. Plus you can't enjoy those cars unless you take it to the track, which probably 1% of owners do. I consider there to be a "sweet spot" with cars. Meaning a group factored on price, performance and fun; M3, RS5, 911, C63..
I totally agree and that's why most exotics have such low mileages. Dead on with the "sweet spot" cars.

Current: E92 M3 DCT, Cayenne Turbo S, Ferrari F430 F1
Past:911 Turbo (996), C32 AMG, S2000, (E36) M3, Supra TT, MR2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #141
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by av2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
I totally agree and that's why most exotics have such low mileages. Dead on with the "sweet spot" cars.
The "Sweet Spot" List
The worlds best drivers cars to be enjoyed rather than hold you hostage or owned as a trophy (in no particular order):

BMW M3
Mercedes C63 Coupe
Nissan GTR
Audi RS5
Porsche 911

Suggestions?
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #142
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Vette ZR1
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #143
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

SRT Viper
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #144
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by av2 View Post
Agreed as well.

Although I think a CGT or GTx Porsche is about the same as any other exotic.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #145
HighandDry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by av2 View Post
I don't know if I agree with this. I think most exotics have such low milage, because when people buy them new, they don't want to put on milage because of re-sale. One guy I know buys a new Ferrari every year and half or so. He averages 500 miles/year. The reason for this is so that he can sell the car back to the dealership for almost no loss. Personally, I find that silly. However, for him it's more about having the car than driving it.

I bought a 5 yo F430 with 4700 miles on it. I'm the third owner. The second owner had the car for a year and put in around 20 K dollars worth of work (headers, cats, clutch, F1 pump, new wheels/tires) and drove it 135 miles! In 4 months, I put on 3000 miles on it. I personally don't care about the milage, because I bought it down on the depreciation curve (80K less than sticker). The way I think about it is that I bought the car at a price of a 911 turbo, so I'm not going to worry about it. I drive it hard and I don't hesitate to take it on longer trips. Of course, it's not a car to take to the grocery store or a DD, but I knew that when I bought it. For me, I totally love it. The sound, the looks, the handling, and the F1 is just sublime.

I've had many 911's (GT3, turbo, C2S) and Astons. They are all great cars, but the Ferrari is just different. Of course it's not going to be as reliable and maintenance costs are going to be higher, but that's to be expected. Someone mentioned that, like women, the chase is the fun part. For sure the chase is fun, but it's still nice to snuggle with Kate Upton at the end of the night
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #146
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

interesting thread and although i didn't read all the posts, i can say if i had the cash i would have no problem driving a 458 as my daily; wendys drive through, grocery store, etc . shit if i had the cash i would have 0 problem driving my pagani around as a dd. but you have to consider people like this are like .01% of an already top 5% wealth population .

i can however forsee a used 458 later in life when it is near $100k as the 430 is now. i don't need anything else but a 458 and a 997 tt atm . as cars keep getting better, with age the used car market is only getting sweeter .