BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

08-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #45
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I just take a dry microfiber cloth and wipe down the wheels, barrels and all, about once a week. Takes about 5 minutes per wheel and looks great. If there is any tar or gunk that gets stuck, I use a little adhesive solvent and it gets everything absolutely squeaky clean. That said, cleaning my car is great mental "down time" for me. Nothing like a Saturday afternoon in my garage with some beer, some music, and my cleaning products !!
      08-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #46
TheGulf1
Wayne
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I have to agree with others. I just bought 2 bottles of Sonax and tried it a couple of hours ago. Pretty disappointing. It really didn't do any better than Eagle 1 which is what I normally use. E1 is a lot cheaper. I'm going to go ahead and seal the wheels with Opticoat and then just stick with soap and water as long as I can.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #47
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Believe it or not, VERY hot water, dishwashing liquid and a wheel brush works wonders on these wheels. I do it all the time and it's almost the equivalent of hot knife thru butter. DISCLAIMER, I do not let brake dust cake up on my wheels ever. So I don't know how good this works on HEAVY brake dust. It's cheap, it works and has to be gentler on the wheels finish. Your welcome guys and gals.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #48
TheGulf1
Wayne
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I guess I have to give some credit back to Sonax. I was cleaning my wife's wheels before applying Opticoat and was using Eagle 1 to clean her wheels (Acura RDX). She doesn't keep her wheels very clean and the inside of the wheels were bad. The E1 was not doing very well and required a bunch of work to get them clean. On the second one I used the Sonax and let it sit for a few minutes before brushing. The second wheel required a LOT less work to get the caked on crud off. Just a little scrubbing. It really broke it down easier than the E1. So for regular cleaning of wheels that are kept pretty clean, the Sonax is probably overkill for me. But for getting neglected wheels clean the Sonax really kicks butt.
Appreciate 0