BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

EXXEL Distributions

07-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #45
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post

This is a tough question to answer without offending any M owners or belittling the new M. So, let me start out by saying that if I could only have one car it would be an M3. It is by far the best all around sports car in the world. However, I did not want something that was "all around". I wanted something impractical and focused, something flashy. I would have bought a GT3 if I had the money but I didn't and this is as close as I could get (even with all the mods my 997S is still cheaper than a used GT3). When it comes to how the M3 and 911 actually compare you need to realize a lot of what I am going to say is very subjective.

To be blunt, the 911 is just a higher level sports car. Sure, the numbers are similar (both get to 60 in a scant 4 seconds- R&T had the 997S at 3.9) and both lap the ring in similar times. But its the stuff you cannot read in a magazine article that really seperated the two for me.

For example, when you climb into the cockpit of the 997S you are welcomed by some seriously sporty seats (if yours came with sports seats), a drivers position that makes you feel like a kid in a go-kart, and a giant tachometer staring you right in the face showing you its importance. All this and you have not even started the engine. When you do turn the key, which on the left side of the steering wheel by the way, you are welcomed with a burble that shakes the whole car and an exhaust note thats simply spine tingleling. For me, everything I just mentioned is already is sexier than the E92 M3 I previously owned. Then you actually start moving.....

The connection the driver feels inside this car is astonishing. The steering is is as perfect as all the magazines say. When you step on the gas the throttle response is instant (the M3's is just as good) and there is nothing like hearing that boxer engine behind you screaming! Basically, everything about driving this car is just more tactile than it was in the M3.

Listen, this is all subjective. If your skeptical or want to find out for yourself, stop by your local dealer and see if you can take a 997 out. If you have never driven a 911 before, you might be surprised.

Jason
Jason,

Original cast speaking. Great to see you peek your head in here once in awhile. Please do it more often. You have always been an excellent source of information if not an entertaining contributor.

I can't resist razzing you though. Oh and congratulations, you have officially become a Porsche snob. You use to badger me incessantly when I expressed frustration about the e90x poundage, numb like steering, fade prone brakes, and lack of connection to the road. What a hypocrite. You have dumped the greatest all around sports car and jumped on the elitist bandwagon. Our fellow M3 Post members are willing to try and help you through this phase.

Beautiful car and great choice for the money. I was in Pacific Beach not so long ago. Jason, how does it feel to live the the good life?
      07-19-2009, 02:29 AM   #46
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

nice to hear from you again. if i remember correctly, your car was on the same ship as mine - the Princess VII, right? i still love my m3 and am ready to start pursuing some performance mods now that the cosmetic stuff is mostly done.

congrats on the P-car. it's a jaw dropper for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #47
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Beautiful! Those BBS wheels really make it look awesome.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #48
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [4.13]
Send a message via AIM to 1013mm Send a message via MSN to 1013mm Send a message via Skype™ to 1013mm
NICE place for photos!!!
      07-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #49
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Sooooooo sick. How about a video clip of the exhaust? I wanna hear that baby rip. Those wheels are to die for, so rare and beautiful on P cars
      07-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #50
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Jason,

Original cast speaking. Great to see you peek your head in here once in awhile. Please do it more often. You have always been an excellent source of information if not an entertaining contributor.

I can't resist razzing you though. Oh and congratulations, you have officially become a Porsche snob. You use to badger me incessantly when I expressed frustration about the e90x poundage, numb like steering, fade prone brakes, and lack of connection to the road. What a hypocrite. You have dumped the greatest all around sports car and jumped on the elitist bandwagon. Our fellow M3 Post members are willing to try and help you through this phase.

Beautiful car and great choice for the money. I was in Pacific Beach not so long ago. Jason, how does it feel to live the the good life?
Yeah yeah yeah,

Glad to see your still around and thanks for the PM! I am just waiting for someone start posting old threads of mine that hailed the M3 like it was the second coming. I guess I just need to hold my opinions until I have actually driven all the competition.

Oh and Pacific Beach is a great place to drive a bright red flashy Porsche around that wails!

Jason

Jason
      07-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #51
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog55 View Post
nice to hear from you again. if i remember correctly, your car was on the same ship as mine - the Princess VII, right? i still love my m3 and am ready to start pursuing some performance mods now that the cosmetic stuff is mostly done.

congrats on the P-car. it's a jaw dropper for sure.
Yep, same boat! Those were exciting times to say the least. I am kinda sad because my M3 was the first car I bought brand new specced the way I wanted it. I am not sure I will ever do that again and it was very excited to follow its progress from assembly to the boat and eventually to the dealer!
      07-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #52
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M PWR 00 View Post
Sooooooo sick. How about a video clip of the exhaust? I wanna hear that baby rip. Those wheels are to die for, so rare and beautiful on P cars

Check out this page. Should have a sound clip of another 997S with the exhaust!

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_exh...arrerasr.shtml

Jason
      07-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #53
m3_love
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

just perfect, great job on the car, and nice pix!
e90 M3 l 6MT - OEM++
e92 335i l Auto - the list is too long...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #54
m5.montecarlo
Formerly known as m3.santorini
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

post the before pictures when you first got it please!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #55
sinajoon7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

perfect
      07-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #56
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92 M3 View Post
post the before pictures when you first got it please!
Here is brand spaken new, to me anyways,

Heres a link with pics about two weeks after purchase. This gives you an idea of how far it has come!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231609

Jason
      07-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #57
Addicted2Boost
FBO
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

i want one....bad!!
      07-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #58
IRMthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

nice 997 and pix...cool parking garage with those sunshade covers
      07-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #59
N54MPower
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars

Nice car and pics.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 04:31 AM   #60
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 958.2 TTS, '17 991.2 S

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Probably the most popular Porsche site for 996 and up Pcars is 6speedonline.com. Other popular sites include Renntech.com, rennlist.com, teamspeed.com. My buddies just started a new called Renntrack.com which is also really good. I probably split my time between 6speedonline.com and renntrack.com.

This is a tough question to answer without offending any M owners or belittling the new M. So, let me start out by saying that if I could only have one car it would be an M3. It is by far the best all around sports car in the world. However, I did not want something that was "all around". I wanted something impractical and focused, something flashy. I would have bought a GT3 if I had the money but I didn't and this is as close as I could get (even with all the mods my 997S is still cheaper than a used GT3). When it comes to how the M3 and 911 actually compare you need to realize a lot of what I am going to say is very subjective.

To be blunt, the 911 is just a higher level sports car. Sure, the numbers are similar (both get to 60 in a scant 4 seconds- R&T had the 997S at 3.9) and both lap the ring in similar times. But its the stuff you cannot read in a magazine article that really seperated the two for me.

For example, when you climb into the cockpit of the 997S you are welcomed by some seriously sporty seats (if yours came with sports seats), a drivers position that makes you feel like a kid in a go-kart, and a giant tachometer staring you right in the face showing you its importance. All this and you have not even started the engine. When you do turn the key, which on the left side of the steering wheel by the way, you are welcomed with a burble that shakes the whole car and an exhaust note thats simply spine tingleling. For me, everything I just mentioned is already is sexier than the E92 M3 I previously owned. Then you actually start moving.....

The connection the driver feels inside this car is astonishing. The steering is is as perfect as all the magazines say. When you step on the gas the throttle response is instant (the M3's is just as good) and there is nothing like hearing that boxer engine behind you screaming! Basically, everything about driving this car is just more tactile than it was in the M3.

Listen, this is all subjective. If your skeptical or want to find out for yourself, stop by your local dealer and see if you can take a 997 out. If you have never driven a 911 before, you might be surprised.

Yes, the Aero kits could either be bought through your dealer from the Porsche Tequipment line or you could actually have the car built with the kit installed. My car is the latter.....

See above!

As far as the mods go, the exhaust is just sick! I cannot imagaine a sweeter sounding car. I even prefer the sound my car makes to the Italians. It no joke sounds like a Porsche Cup racer. In fact, pretty much anyone that hears my car says, "your car sounds like a Cup car". According the GMG I picked up 30hp from the full exhaust (apparently the stock manifolds and cats are quite restrictive). That might be true but the sound alone was worth the price. That combined with Damptronics make for one sweet ride. I dont even regret not waiting for GT3 prices to continue to fall. If I was a hardcore track guy I might still be wishing for a GT3 but this car is plenty fast and the differences between the two really only come out at 9/10ths.

When and where are they? I will come for sure!

Jason
Very nicely put. I'm a new guy around 6speed and have seen you around there as well. I'm "steve k" over at the dark side

Regards to the "I need to test drive a cayman" comment. I came from a 987s. You need to drive one. Its as nice of a feel your going to get before you dip your foot into a R8/a mid engine F/ CGT.

Car looks nice (I LOVE RED-done right! adn yours is!), how loud is the GMG Exhaust? Tubi is on the way for me. Going for about the same noise level but better melody. I'd like to hear your setup sometime. Might convince me to dump more money onto the bittersweet aftermarket world. Damptronics- SWEET. Might go for those too. Drive safe!
      07-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #61
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
Very nicely put. I'm a new guy around 6speed and have seen you around there as well. I'm "steve k" over at the dark side

Regards to the "I need to test drive a cayman" comment. I came from a 987s. You need to drive one. Its as nice of a feel your going to get before you dip your foot into a R8/a mid engine F/ CGT.

Car looks nice (I LOVE RED-done right! adn yours is!), how loud is the GMG Exhaust? Tubi is on the way for me. Going for about the same noise level but better melody. I'd like to hear your setup sometime. Might convince me to dump more money onto the bittersweet aftermarket world. Damptronics- SWEET. Might go for those too. Drive safe!
If you are in Irvine then just let me know when you want to hear my car and I will drive up for Cars and Coffee. In fact I think a few members are driving up for the C&C on the 8th. You should join us. Either way I love showing off the ride and talking cars so dont hesitate if you want to meet up!

Jason
      07-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #62
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

hopefully one day both you and i will have gt3s
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #63
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [4.80]
car looks so clean and sexy
      07-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #64
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & '16 F15 X5

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
bohoo you are not welcome here. j/k j/k looks blooswessome
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #65
kadolege
Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2005 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to kadolege
Damn itīs evil.... Beautifullllllll..........
05ī BMW E90 325i JB | BBS LM 8.5X19 ET29 Front, ET27 Rear | H&R Sport | Koni Sport | Blacklines | BMW Performance Grill | Mtec Super White Halogen Fogs | OEM M-Tech steeringwheel | OEM M-Tech gearshift knob | OEM M-Tech handbrake handle | OEM manuel leather sportseats, now fully functional | OEM BMW Performance short shift | Rear output power | Complete LED interior lights
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #66
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Sweet ride!
Appreciate 0