BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
2008 DSC Failure (repeatedly)

I haven't been on this forum in a while mainly because my car has been in the shop off and on since I purchased it and now it has been gone for nearly month with a DSC failure that cripples the car. So, in a way, I have been less than enthusiastic with my purchase. The car is a 2008 M3 sedan, fully loaded, DCT.

To start, from the first month of ownership, I would get the engine warning light and the car would drop into safe mode with max RPM at 4300. I would then limp to a curb, turn off the engine and restart to clear warning. I took it to BMW service several times over 6 months with this issue and no problems could be found. Each time, my car was updated to the newest software.

During this time, I also continued to have the serious lag and stall issues including one where I was almost hit by a dump truck in an intersection.

Well, about 6 weeks ago, I got a new malfunction warning stating "DSC Failure" and the car would then only reach 2300RPM. The car went in the shop three times over 6 weeks, it has now been in the shop for the past three weeks. They have changed fuel rails, various censors, the car's computer and reprogrammed with no success.

I was told by the dealer yesterday that they believe some hose housing was loose and was being sucked into some intake manifold??? They believe the car is fixed, but the service manager will need to do some long term testing over the next month.... So, the dealer has initiated a buy back and will be giving me a new 2009 M3 sedan with the same options next week.

Just an FYI. After the last reprogramming from 4 weeks ago, the DCT "lag" went away completely.

For those of you who want to know driving specifics. It would happen in any setting at any speed but seemed to be linked to multiple numbers of acceleration and deceleration on the freeway in rush hour traffic.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
Just an FYI. After the last reprogramming from 4 weeks ago, the DCT "lag" went away completely.
How long have you actually driven your car before drawing this conclusion? Reason I ask is because (esp. in previous software updates) it seems that the lag may come back as some members reported.

Any chance you know what progmann version you got last?

BTW, good luck with your case. Seems that you are treated fairly to say the least with the new '09 M3!!! I hope this one will be a trouble-free M3!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
The software update that seemed to fix the DCT lag was the one before the one released last week. I drove the car for maybe 3 days and then it failed again. So, I don't know any long term answers. I never drove the car after they loaded the newest version last week. BTW, all of this is what I am hearing from the service rep and I don't have release numbers, etc. At this point, I don't really care. I just want a car that works.

Yes, I think they are being very fair. Whether I kept my car or they gave me a new one, they were going to make everyone involved happy.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

All those symptoms from a DSC failure? That's really surprising. Its also surprising that they are changing fuel rails to try and fix a problem with DSC. (???)

I know they are buying it back, so that's great. But I wonder what happenes if you just shut DSC off on the car. Does it still throw the errors? If so, then DSC probably has nothing to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
All those symptoms from a DSC failure? That's really surprising. Its also surprising that they are changing fuel rails to try and fix a problem with DSC. (???)

I know they are buying it back, so that's great. But I wonder what happenes if you just shut DSC off on the car. Does it still throw the errors? If so, then DSC probably has nothing to do with it.
They said something about the car thinking that the wheels were accelerating and something to do with fuel volume. Honestly, I have no idea why they did the above and whether they shut of the DSC.

Again, the last report from yesterday is that there was a housing being sucked into some intake. Whether it was a censor housing or some other crazy thing, I don't know. It seems odd to me that if it were this housing causing the problem that the car would work for a few days and then start having problems again. Also, I have no idea what that has to do with DSC either??? Either way, BMW is taking care of the problem above my expectations.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
bm_chief
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Have you seen this?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267607
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I got a DSC failure once. The car did not go into limp mode. It has not happened since (about 4 months ago). I was accel hard in 1st and hit 2nd in S6...wheel spin, etc. then blamo, DSC failure. At any rate, it has not happened again. GL with the issue.

On another note, you mention the lag was gone. That is great to hear as many of us have the problem. Can you tell me what version of software you received?
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Congrats on the 09 woohoo!!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I got a DSC failure once. The car did not go into limp mode. It has not happened since (about 4 months ago). I was accel hard in 1st and hit 2nd in S6...wheel spin, etc. then blamo, DSC failure. At any rate, it has not happened again. GL with the issue.

On another note, you mention the lag was gone. That is great to hear as many of us have the problem. Can you tell me what version of software you received?

I posted the answer under your other post. I called the SA and got the information. I believe that it was version 33.2 that got rid of the lag and it was a thrill to drive the car for 3 days until it died completely!

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm_chief View Post
Sounds very familiar. Different warning lights but same issues. The light I get is a solid "DSC Malfunction". Pushing the side of the blinker button won't remove the error message from the screen. The last time it happened to me the car wouldn't even start and had to be trailered to the dealer.

Appreciate 0