BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Help me pick a plasma tv

Ok, I really don't know too much about plasma's, and want to pick one up. I have decided between two based on personal preference. I have heard that there is a lot of component sharing between all brands of plasma's. I have always thought of brand names being better units, but when comparing both tv's the pictures look the same. I'm just asking if anybody here knows if Maxent has a quality product, even though it has just been out for a short time. The price is just about the same for the two, but the maxent is 50" vs the 42" hitachi. I don't care about features or imputs, just picture quality and quality. If I had the money to spend on a plasma, I'd get a Pioneer. Any input would help, thanks.

One is the Hitachi 42"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142293092238

The other is a Maxent 50"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118845474347

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I spend alot of time on www.avsforum.com ....You might want to start there. There are alot of differences/similarities between Plasma/LCD/DLP/etc. Pick the technology that best suits you. I had a Pioneer Plasma (..not all Pioneer plasmas are created equal), but I didn't like it. I now have a 42" Philips LCD HDTV. Awesome TV!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
have you looked at samsung TVs? i hear a lot of good things about them and also the picture quality is excellent as well. did you actually go to the store and looked at them in person? that would be very helpful in your decision making.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

I got a panasonic commercial panel from plasmaconcepts.com. Panasonic is one of the leading manufacturers of the actual plasma panels, and the commercial ones don't include speakers (although there are add-on speakers available) or any sort of tuner, but the look is superb; very clean. The panasonic commercial panels also allow you to be completely flexible in the connectors, since they are all removable blade type.

NEC panels also have a very good rep.

-MrB
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

go for dlp ... i got samsung 56" dlp and it's awsome... plasma's are over rated
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Not a big fan of plasma but take a look at the LCD by Sony. Plasma burn in may occur which is not good if you want to play games. More expensive than LCD. I have the 50 inch and the picture/quality is awesome! I believe Bestbuy has more info on Plasma vs LCD/projection. Hope this helps some.
      07-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
have you looked at samsung TVs? i hear a lot of good things about them and also the picture quality is excellent as well. did you actually go to the store and looked at them in person? that would be very helpful in your decision making.

I second the Samsung's, however, I chose Pioneer........and then Philips. It's very important that he views the televisions that interest him in various stores. Many stores are known to rig wiring in efforts to push certain units while degrading superior units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Not a big fan of plasma but take a look at the LCD by Sony. Plasma burn in may occur which is not good if you want to play games. More expensive than LCD. I have the 50 inch and the picture/quality is awesome! I believe Bestbuy has more info on Plasma vs LCD/projection. Hope this helps some.
Actually, the comparable LCD is more expensive than a plasma unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

with LCD's you gatta watch out for dead pixels, or pixel freeze...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01
with LCD's you gatta watch out for dead pixels, or pixel freeze...
As with plasma burn-in, pixel issues have been greatly reduced by technology.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
we just got this one from BEst buy a couple months ago and its awesome!
http://www.plasmadepot.com/panasonic.../th42pd60u.php
      07-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

I'd also seriously recommend that you consider Costco for your television purchase. BEST warranty in the business.........bar none!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
burn-in and half-life on modern plasma panels are moot points. The newest generations of panasonic panels are rated at 60000 hours "mean time to half luminance" (that's like watching TV for 8 hours a day, every day, for 15 years) and have similar burn-in characteristics to CRT TV's.

I am yet to see a DLP or LCD rear-projection or LCD flat panel that has am image that looks nearly as good as my panasonic plasma. LCD's that I've seen still have issues with the images "streaking" during periods of intense on-screen motion, and the rear-projection sets I've seen still have issues with color saturation and off-axis viewing that are much worse than the mfg's would have you believe. I watched the women's US Open in HD on a good Sony DLP set this past weekend and it couldn't hold a candle to my plasma.

-MrB
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk
burn-in and half-life on modern plasma panels are moot points. The newest generations of panasonic panels are rated at 60000 hours "mean time to half luminance" (that's like watching TV for 8 hours a day, every day, for 15 years) and have similar burn-in characteristics to CRT TV's.

I am yet to see a DLP or LCD rear-projection or LCD flat panel that has am image that looks nearly as good as my panasonic plasma. LCD's that I've seen still have issues with the images "streaking" during periods of intense on-screen motion, and the rear-projection sets I've seen still have issues with color saturation and off-axis viewing that are much worse than the mfg's would have you believe. I watched the women's US Open in HD on a good Sony DLP set this past weekend and it couldn't hold a candle to my plasma.

-MrB
While I agree with your first paragraph 100% (...despite the irritating image retention of my previous Pioneer unit), I'm going to have to disagree somewhat with regards to the info in your second paragraph. My 42" Philips has exhibited no streaking whatsoever (..tested using various recommendations on AVS Forum), excellent black levels, etc. My television has been calibrated as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #14
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Take note that you *should not* buy an LCD TV from Sony because LCD technology, especially LCD RPTV, is being phased out in favor of the far more superior SXRD technology (also coined by Sony). Instead of using LCD chips, it uses a similar concept that utilizes silicon crystals. The result gives you unbelievable contrast ratios (as good as CRTs) with pixel borders abolished at an incredible distance of fractions of microns - thus eliminating the dreaded "screen door effect".

You SHOULD care about inputs because if it doesn't have good inputs, how are you going to have HD DVDs, video gaming, and other sources such as HD camcorders and DVRs?

I agree with Sedan Clan - nothing beats www.avsforum.com - a truly informative forum minus all the horniness and brashness displayed by many (guys) here on this forum.
      07-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #15
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Mr. B - go see Sony's SXRD and you have to make sure it's properly calibrated before doing so. And that a true HD source is being fed into it.

The SXRD by far destroys all of its competition. Hands down. No questions asked.
      07-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #16
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
While I agree with your first paragraph 100% (...despite the irritating image retention of my previous Pioneer unit), I'm going to have to disagree somewhat with regards to the info in your second paragraph. My 42" Philips has exhibited no streaking whatsoever (..tested using various recommendations on AVS Forum), excellent black levels, etc. My television has been calibrated as well.
Just going on my own personal experience. Since I'm not in the market for a flat panel anymore (got the "panny" last January), I don't pay as close attention as I used to. My buddy got some Sharp Aquos 20" LCD's for his house and their image quality couldn't touch my plasma.

-MrB
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Just going on my own personal experience. Since I'm not in the market for a flat panel anymore (got the "panny" last January), I don't pay as close attention as I used to. My buddy got some Sharp Aquos 20" LCD's for his house and their image quality couldn't touch my plasma.

-MrB

Understood!! Admittedly, once I purchased my TV in Nov.2005, I haven't been as fervent in my A/V information gathering. Nevertheless, I agree w/ you about the Sharp. I heard great things about it, but once I saw it in person in various stores (...Best Buy, CC, Sears, small A/V shops), I wasn't impressed at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #18
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Mr. B - go see Sony's SXRD and you have to make sure it's properly calibrated before doing so. And that a true HD source is being fed into it.

The SXRD by far destroys all of its competition. Hands down. No questions asked.
I'll have to swing by Hi-Fi Buys or Magnolia sometime and check it out. I have heard that the Sony "Qualia" sets were excellent, but I have not yet seen the SXRD. You have to admit that there are some inherent issues with rear-projection that are very hard to overcome, namely the color saturation and off-axis response. I am generally much more drawn in by direct view sets than projection ones.

-MrB
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #19
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I am generally much more drawn in by direct view sets than projection ones.

-MrB

Same here. Projection sets never quite tickled my fancy. What the hell is a fancy anyways? Kidding!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #20
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Plasmas are great for rooms with significant ambient light and shallow rooms. I have a 42" Pioneer Elite and it is a great fit for my living room and boy is it beautiful.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
Plasmas are great for rooms with significant ambient light and shallow rooms. I have a 42" Pioneer Elite and it is a great fit for my living room and boy is it beautiful.
I didn't have the extra cash for an Elite when I purchased my first Pioneer plasma. I wish I did at the time though.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #22
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
I got a panasonic commercial panel from plasmaconcepts.com. Panasonic is one of the leading manufacturers of the actual plasma panels, and the commercial ones don't include speakers (although there are add-on speakers available) or any sort of tuner, but the look is superb; very clean. The panasonic commercial panels also allow you to be completely flexible in the connectors, since they are all removable blade type.

NEC panels also have a very good rep.

-MrB
I too have been looking and comparing. I am leaning toward the panasonic (now that they are out with their 8th generation plasma panel). I have been to best buy and see panasonic 42 in HDTV against other and the color and clarity is just uncomparable. It is not the cheapest 42 in and not the most expansive 42 inch. It seems like you like your panasonic commercial set, how long have you had it?
Appreciate 0