BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

08-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
bulletproof
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

How long before we destroy our planet through Global Warming?

10 years? 20 years?

Looking at the floods, wildfires, tsunamis, hurricanes and droughts throughout the world, 2007 has been recorded as having the most extreme weather ever recorded.

So, with no remedy in site and matters only getting worse, how long till we are all truly F$%ked?

Who here would back a president that sponsors recycling as a law, 50 mpg average automobiles and a better mass transit system to help curb CO2 emissions?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

We won't destroy the earth, we'll just make it harder to live comfortably.

Only way to destroy the earth is with a giant asteroid

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i M Sport Sport Wagon

Garage List
There has been a fire raging for weeks on the Santa Barbara/Ventura county line & probably puts out more polutants in the air than 10,000 SUV's for 10 years, use common sence. Volcanoes put out huge amounts of unfiltered smoke, gas & toxins in the air, use your head people, nature is far worse than what we can do, except chemicals, nuke waste etc.
The planet heats & cools and has been fdoing so for millions of years & will continue to over & over again.
The Sun has had increasing solar flares a well increased temps, so our planet heats up accordingly. The polar ice cap on Mars have shrunk dramatically as of late, the sun is getting hotter!!! Plain & simple, don't be so pompus to think that we can even for a second rival mother nature for her destructive power or resilience.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
There has been a fire raging for weeks on the Santa Barbara/Ventura county line & probably puts out more polutants in the air than 10,000 SUV's for 10 years, use common sence. Volcanoes put out huge amounts of unfiltered smoke, gas & toxins in the air, use your head people, nature is far worse than what we can do, except chemicals, nuke waste etc.
The planet heats & cools and has been fdoing so for millions of years & will continue to over & over again.
The Sun has had increasing solar flares a well increased temps, so our planet heats up accordingly. The polar ice cap on Mars have shrunk dramatically as of late, the sun is getting hotter!!! Plain & simple, don't be so pompus to think that we can even for a second rival mother nature for her destructive power or resilience.

Nice, but that slap to the head at the end is not necessary.

Globabl warming is misinformed by a lot of peole, thanks to the media. The planet has ways to repair itself, don't worry too much about it. Just go on your everyday routine.

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
amen, finally some people who know what they are talking about.
      08-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

i actually prefer warm weather so am all for global warming.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

The planet does have its own ways to balance things but as human beings we're capable of doing something about it. For example, as a way to balance the population there are new diseases/virus going around but we are finding ways to cure them. So while global warming might be "normal", reducing CO2 emission isnt just for the planet but also for us. Imagine how much better cities like LA would be if they actually had clean air to breathe.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Never!!! Even with the number of nuclear weapons, we will never have the power to destroy this planet.

Whether human beings can survive continuously and endlessly, unlike all other species that had succumbed to extinction at some point, that's another question.
      08-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
bulletproof
Private
United_States
Rep

So coincidentally the Sun is getting hotter at the same time CO2 levels in the Earth's atmosphere are 3 times higher than they've been in the last 650,000 years?

So what your saying is all the science is wrong and this is just mother nature? Could it be possible that the extremely high CO2 levels in the atmoshere caused by humans is what's raising temperatures and causing these forest fires to burn like they are?

Maybe once all the poles melt at astronomical speeds and the sea level rises 10 feet causing billions of people to relocate, you'll ask yourself again if there was something we could do to help prevent it.

You are right though. The Earth has a way of healing itself. Population control through Global Warming.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
tlester
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sport, Crimson Red

Garage List
2007 328i Sport  [0.00]
6 year, 3 days, and 45 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Never!!! Even with the number of nuclear weapons, we will never have the power to destroy this planet.

Whether human beings can survive continuously and endlessly, unlike all other species that had succumbed to extinction at some point, that's another question.

we can destroy ourselves, but we don't have the technology to destroy the planet yet.

scientists estimate that a 50,000 megaton Nuclear Cobalt bomb will destroy all human life on Earth. the radiation fallout will remain for at least years after detonation, making hiding in shelters impossible since you will run out of food and water much faster than it takes the for radiation to subside.

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

You can thank alarmists like Al Gore for turning global warming into more than it is. Also, people like Larry David's soon to be ex-wife, who chastises people for driving SUV's, yet she flies on their private jet from CA to their home in Martha's Vineyard burning tons of fuel. Typical hypocrite "gulf stream" Hollywood liberal.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #13
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
You can thank alarmists like Al Gore for turning global warming into more than it is. Also, people like Larry David's soon to be ex-wife, who chastises people for driving SUV's, yet she flies on their private jet from CA to their home in Martha's Vineyard burning tons of fuel. Typical hypocrite "gulf stream" Hollywood liberal.

While I do agree that many of them are hypocrites, some of them actually bring important issues to our attention. We tend to ignore a lot of issues in our lives until they are brought to our attention. So IMO it's good that we have people who at least pay some attention to the problems at hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #14
bulletproof
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlester View Post
6 year, 3 days, and 45 seconds.
hehe...

The Mayans predicted 2012...

At least I'll enjoy the end of days driving a new E92 M3!

But seriously, if our government made the necessary changes, our current generations might gripe and complain, but our children's children will not know better either way and will be happier with a healthier planet.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #15
tlester
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
So coincidentally the Sun is getting hotter at the same time CO2 levels in the Earth's atmosphere are 3 times higher than they've been in the last 650,000 years?

So what your saying is all the science is wrong and this is just mother nature? Could it be possible that the extremely high CO2 levels in the atmoshere caused by humans is what's raising temperatures and causing these forest fires to burn like they are?

Maybe once all the poles melt at astronomical speeds and the sea level rises 10 feet causing billions of people to relocate, you'll ask yourself again if there was something we could do to help prevent it.

You are right though. The Earth has a way of healing itself. Population control through Global Warming.
Hahahahaha! I love this. We have no idea that the earth is even 650,000 years old, how on earth could we have measured and kept records of the C02 levels for that long?

Hysterical!

We also have no way of knowing if the melting of the ice caps is part of a long term cycle. The earth and solar system has so many cycles of various magnatudes.

- Earth's rotation around the sun
- Moon's rotation around the earth
- Earth's rotation on it's own axis
- Tides
- Etc...

We've only tracked the polar caps for a short time (relatively speaking). So... who's to say the melting of the polar ice caps isn't a cyclical thing? Maybe ever 2,000 years, they melt some and then refreez. Who knows? The scientists surely don't. They don't have enough data, so it's totaly speculation.

Modern science is all about declaring a theory as fact w/ little to know data to back it up.

Am I saying we aren't going to have a problem or that we aren't having a problem with Global warming? No! But what I am saying is... we really have no idea!

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

While global warming may in fact be occurring right now, the reasons for it and its underlying causes are not certain. Please come off the ledge.

It is really not science to proclaim that humans are responsible for global warming. Making this statement is more of a political agenda than based upon any hard scientific fact.

If you are going to point to UN statements and UN science, please note that all that the UN was able to agree is that human activity has had "an impact" that is "likely to be significant" (WTF does this mean anyway) and that conclusion is itself based on highly disputed science and biased presentations and reports (very hard evidence to the contrary was excluded through political maneuvering by environmental action groups from being considered by the UN pannels). Unfortunately the UN has been highjacked (as is often the case) by political movements (like some radical anti-development movements) who are more interested in their narrow political agenda than the truth (whatever it may be).

So I am really on the fence on this issue - I think we should look at exactly what the influence of human activity is on global warming with an open mind free from political interference. Global warming (and global coolong) is in fact a natural phenomenon, just like the Co2 emissions are a natural phenomenon (fyi most forest fires are naturally occurring, not because of human activity).

If in fact human activity is responsible for enough of the increase in Co2 emissions to actually affect global temperatures, then we need to look at what we can do to reduce them and if indeed the effort is worth the cost.

If on the other hand global temperature rises rise by a larger margin than the degree of contribution from human activities, then I submit that we are wasting our time and shooting ourselves in the foot, since even if we reduce our emissions to 0 (basically that would mean no humans on Earth since humans exhale Co2) there would still be global warming.

Discuss......
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #17
bulletproof
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlester View Post
Hahahahaha! I love this. We have no idea that the earth is even 650,000 years old, how on earth could we have measured and kept records of the C02 levels for that long?

Hysterical!

We also have no way of knowing if the melting of the ice caps is part of a long term cycle. The earth and solar system has so many cycles of various magnatudes.

- Earth's rotation around the sun
- Moon's rotation around the earth
- Earth's rotation on it's own axis
- Tides
- Etc...

We've only tracked the polar caps for a short time (relatively speaking). So... who's to say the melting of the polar ice caps isn't a cyclical thing? Maybe ever 2,000 years, they melt some and then refreez. Who knows? The scientists surely don't. They don't have enough data, so it's totaly speculation.

Modern science is all about declaring a theory as fact w/ little to know data to back it up.

Am I saying we aren't going to have a problem or that we aren't having a problem with Global warming? No! But what I am saying is... we really have no idea!

-Tom
So the 600 scientists that came to this conclusion have no idea?

I find your ignorance hysterical.

Look at the scientific data that backs everything up. Scientists are able to drill into the ice hundreds of feet and see what the levels of CO2 are all the way up to 650,000 years ago. It just so happens that in the past 50 years, CO2 has spiked 3 times higher than it ever was in the last 650,000 years. Hmmmm.... 50 years in 650,000 years, three times the CO2 amount... can't have anything to do with overpopulation and the burning of fossil fuels jumping up in this same 50 year period...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #18
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

47 days
      08-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #19
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Nice, but that slap to the head at the end is not necessary.

Globabl warming is misinformed by a lot of peole, thanks to the media. The planet has ways to repair itself, don't worry too much about it. Just go on your everyday routine.
Okay your right the slap thing was silly. I just get frustrated with all the misinformation out there. If someone is so concerned about the planet & their impact on it they should get rid of the house they live in, get rid of their car, walk everywhere & live on a communal farm where their impact to the environment will be minimal. But they won't! They want everyone else to adhere to thier theories when their is no proof that man has caused global warming, just 30 ears ago in the same scientific community was predicting the next Ice age was uopn us. Just use your common sence.

Another thing about the polar ice caps melting. Do yourself a little expirment, get a glass of water & fill it up about 3/4ths of the way to the top(however much you like it doesn't matter) now add ice to it to fill up the glass almost to the top. Let it melt & come back to it later....what happens to the water level in the glass...NOTHING, it stays the same, the ice before it melted was displacing the water & now that it melted the water level stayed the same.
This does not take into effect the ice on Antartica because most of that ice is on top of the continent itself., there is no land mass at the north pole its all ice. People have to chill(no pun intended) & use common sence as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #20
tlester
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i Sport  [0.00]
How do they know it's 650,000 years? They don't. It's a guess. They don't even know for sure that carbon dating is correct. And they never will. It's the same logic they used when they released CD's and said, "They have a 75 year shelf life". How the hell do they know that? Because they used a way of accelarating the aging process? Well... how do they know the accelaration process is right? They don't. And CD's aren't lasting anywhere near 75 years.

It's an educated guess. Which I don't have issue with. But the good scientists will state that it's a guess. They call it a "theory". I have complete respect for that. What I don't have respect for is the scientists that find some bone and say, 'This is 2 million years old" as if it's fact. A much better statement would be, "Assuming our base assumptions are correct, we theorize that this is 2 million years old".

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #21
bulletproof
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Okay your right the slap thing was silly. I just get frustrated with all the misinformation out there. If someone is so concerned about the planet & their impact on it they should get rid of the house they live in, get rid of their car, walk everywhere & live on a communal farm where their impact to the environment will be minimal. But they won't! They want everyone else to adhere to thier theories when their is no proof that man has caused global warming, just 30 ears ago in the same scientific community was predicting the next Ice age was uopn us. Just use your common sence.

Another thing about the polar ice caps melting. Do yourself a little expirment, get a glass of water & fill it up about 3/4ths of the way to the top(however much you like it doesn't matter) now add ice to it to fill up the glass almost to the top. Let it melt & come back to it later....what happens to the water level in the glass...NOTHING, it stays the same, the ice before it melted was displacing the water & now that it melted the water level stayed the same.
This does not take into effect the ice on Antartica because most of that ice is on top of the continent itself., there is no land mass at the north pole its all ice. People have to chill(no pun intended) & use common sence as well.
You are a genius!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #22
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
You are a genius!