BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

09-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
For those of you just out of warranty... the infamous idle control valve replacement

Last week I came back from vacation, and the M3 was waiting for me under her cover next to her sister.

Fired right up and took her for a spin. Was nice to drive it again. Later than night I took it to a friends birthday party. We left the restaurant, and my friend got in his X5M parked in front of my car and revved the motor. He's always trying to convince me to get rid of the M3 and buy an X5M (which is what he did a few weeks ago). After he revved it, I thought I'd remind him of how wonderful the the Akra sounds and gave the throttle a little poke to 2k rpm.

Well... that lead to "Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power". Turned the car off, and back on, and it was like nothing happened. It would occasionally do weird things without limp mode such as idle at 1,600 RPM, etc..

Car drove perfectly for the next day until afternoon time when I give it a little gas to make it through an intersection in time. Engine Malfunction, Reduced power again. Although it wasn't in full limp mode, it reduced the redline to 6K and I could tell I was missing quite a few horses under the hood.

At this point I was a bit perplexed. I had made some changes to the tune to test a few things out a week before I left, but nothing that should cause any type of issue like this. I double checked my changes and couldn't find anything wrong with the file. This was the same tune I ran on the track in 105 degree weather and almost 300F oil, without a hitch.

Just to make absolutely 100% sure and to remove all variables from the equation, I flashed the car back to the latest software version 240E. The flashing went smoothly and then the car fired right up. After about 15 or 30 seconds of idling, the engine sounded strange for a few seconds and then it went back to normal. I figured maybe it was a fluke after flashing, sometimes the 'computers' in these cars need a reboot just like our PC's do.

No problems at all over the next day. The next morning I started it up. About 10 seconds after the start, the cold start sequence abruptly stopped and I was greeted with yet another Engine Malfunction message. But a few more friends joined the party, DSC malfunction, DBC malfunction, and start-off assistance inactive. Redline was reduced even further, and I tried to get the car out of my parking space but it wouldn't have it. It was very jerky and bumpy and unwilling to accept any throttle input. Turned the car off and back on, and it was perfect again like nothing had ever happened.

Later that night I was on the freeway on-ramp and gave it a little gas. I could feel that all of the power wasn't there, and as I approached 6K RPM, I saw a picture of a car on a lift in the cluster. Another limp mode event, but this time it said Fuel pump malfunction, as well as engine malfunction. Turned it off and back on, and the error returned again later than night.

So off to the dealer it went. My car was purchased in early 2008 when they first came out. My factory warranty ended in the beginning of 2012. I was worried about how the extended warranty company would be after the expiration of the factory warranty. I had an extended warranty on my Jaguar last year, and they were nothing short of a nightmare, making up anything they possibly could to deny coverage. When the transmission went out, (caused by a bearing that broke which created havoc inside the rest of the transmission), they would only pay for that one bearing and the labor to replace it because the rest of the damage was 'incidental' and as per the contract this wasn't covered. Needless to say, I didn't have high expectations and was ready for them. This was a different warranty company, and considering I purchased it in the finance office when I bought the car I thought the odds were better than before. Off I went in my loaner car (I might add that I love the 335's torquuuuue!!):

*Fast forward 2 days*

Just got back from picking the car up from the dealer. Total repair bill was $3854.95 My mouth dropped when I saw this. I knew the idle control valve was hard to get to, but wasn't expecting a repair bill for almost four grand!!

Items replaced were:
Idle strips, idle control valve, tubing, three clamps, fuel pump control unit, and fuel sensor for low pressure. Car feels like it's back to life again. Going to drive it a few days to make sure no other issues arise and then back to the tune I go. Thank god for that extended warranty company... I paid around $3K for the warranty back in 2008, and it just paid for itself in one shot. For those of you out of warranty, I suggest you pick one up just in case as repairs for this car are apparently outrageously expensive!

Here are some pictures of the replaced parts:

Idle valve:

Idle valve, hose, idle strips, and fuel pressure sensor:

Fuel Control Module (EKP):

Going to be driving it over the next few days to make sure all is well, and then retuning time - I can only last using stock software for so long!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
stylin8o8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Thank you for sharing.... Very Nice car btw
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Gah-Dayum

That extended warranty worth it's weight in gold.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
interesting.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Glad you got it all together, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Im glad you were covered !
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Last week I came back from vacation, and the M3 was waiting for me under her cover next to her sister.

Fired right up and took her for a spin. Was nice to drive it again. Later than night I took it to a friends birthday party. We left the restaurant, and my friend got in his X5M parked in front of my car and revved the motor. He's always trying to convince me to get rid of the M3 and buy an X5M (which is what he did a few weeks ago). After he revved it, I thought I'd remind him of how wonderful the the Akra sounds and gave the throttle a little poke to 2k rpm.

Well... that lead to "Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power". Turned the car off, and back on, and it was like nothing happened. It would occasionally do weird things without limp mode such as idle at 1,600 RPM, etc..

Car drove perfectly for the next day until afternoon time when I give it a little gas to make it through an intersection in time. Engine Malfunction, Reduced power again. Although it wasn't in full limp mode, it reduced the redline to 6K and I could tell I was missing quite a few horses under the hood.

At this point I was a bit perplexed. I had made some changes to the tune to test a few things out a week before I left, but nothing that should cause any type of issue like this. I double checked my changes and couldn't find anything wrong with the file. This was the same tune I ran on the track in 105 degree weather and almost 300F oil, without a hitch.

Just to make absolutely 100% sure and to remove all variables from the equation, I flashed the car back to the latest software version 240E. The flashing went smoothly and then the car fired right up. After about 15 or 30 seconds of idling, the engine sounded strange for a few seconds and then it went back to normal. I figured maybe it was a fluke after flashing, sometimes the 'computers' in these cars need a reboot just like our PC's do.

No problems at all over the next day. The next morning I started it up. About 10 seconds after the start, the cold start sequence abruptly stopped and I was greeted with yet another Engine Malfunction message. But a few more friends joined the party, DSC malfunction, DBC malfunction, and start-off assistance inactive. Redline was reduced even further, and I tried to get the car out of my parking space but it wouldn't have it. It was very jerky and bumpy and unwilling to accept any throttle input. Turned the car off and back on, and it was perfect again like nothing had ever happened.

Later that night I was on the freeway on-ramp and gave it a little gas. I could feel that all of the power wasn't there, and as I approached 6K RPM, I saw a picture of a car on a lift in the cluster. Another limp mode event, but this time it said Fuel pump malfunction, as well as engine malfunction. Turned it off and back on, and the error returned again later than night.

So off to the dealer it went. My car was purchased in early 2008 when they first came out. My factory warranty ended in the beginning of 2012. I was worried about how the extended warranty company would be after the expiration of the factory warranty. I had an extended warranty on my Jaguar last year, and they were nothing short of a nightmare, making up anything they possibly could to deny coverage. When the transmission went out, (caused by a bearing that broke which created havoc inside the rest of the transmission), they would only pay for that one bearing and the labor to replace it because the rest of the damage was 'incidental' and as per the contract this wasn't covered. Needless to say, I didn't have high expectations and was ready for them. This was a different warranty company, and considering I purchased it in the finance office when I bought the car I thought the odds were better than before. Off I went in my loaner car (I might add that I love the 335's torquuuuue!!):

*Fast forward 2 days*

Just got back from picking the car up from the dealer. Total repair bill was $3854.95 My mouth dropped when I saw this. I knew the idle control valve was hard to get to, but wasn't expecting a repair bill for almost four grand!!

Items replaced were:
Idle strips, idle control valve, tubing, three clamps, fuel pump control unit, and fuel sensor for low pressure. Car feels like it's back to life again. Going to drive it a few days to make sure no other issues arise and then back to the tune I go. Thank god for that extended warranty company... I paid around $3K for the warranty back in 2008, and it just paid for itself in one shot. For those of you out of warranty, I suggest you pick one up just in case as repairs for this car are apparently outrageously expensive!

Here are some pictures of the replaced parts:

Idle valve:

Idle valve, hose, idle strips, and fuel pressure sensor:

Fuel Control Module (EKP):

Going to be driving it over the next few days to make sure all is well, and then retuning time - I can only last using stock software for so long!

My car is almost out of warranty, but I'm thinking of NOT getting the warranty. I can do all the work myself, and parts are reasonably priced if you know where to look. The biggest concern for me are the main bearings. Who knows, that could be a nice January project along with a stroker build!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Lagunae92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3 Laguna Seca Blue

Any problems with your mods and warranty?
Mods: |Electronic Performance Steering Wheel|ZCP CF Spoiler|ZCP CF Spliters|ZCP CF Mirrors|Edition Front Grilles|Edition Side Grilles|BMW Performance Brake Handle|3D Design Pedals| Style Rumore Exhaust|H&R Springs|LCI Tails|Challenge CF Door Panels|
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
JeffreMarti
Rep
Drives: audi

Thank you for sharing, Very Nice car btw
      09-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

That's why I got the ext maint.... It only takes one time....

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:13 AM   #11
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

I see the most part of the bill is labor, 2,400$, is this a joke??
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Typical case of a stealer throwing parts at a car hoping one of them fixes the problem. That's a lot of $$$ in labor

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #13
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Back in 2010 my E90 did the same act. Though the car was just only 5 months old, they said i had to pay it out of my pocket due the mods (dealers' regular pretext). Anyways, long story short, they were asking ~$3,000 for repair and the car had to sit there 2 weeks. I took the car to a shop, took one day to find the parts and 3 hours of install and only paid ~$2000.

So far i haven't seen much from BMW warranty program except negative things.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #14
Bel-Tirid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 e92 Interlagos blue

I had also fuel pump problem, went to my mechanic and the bill was 180 €

im lucky guy
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #15
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Damn they charge you a grip....

i just replaced my low pressure sensor and paid 54 bucks looks like you paid 116... damn dealer

well glad it worked out.. but damn i could have installed all that for 1k labor..
      09-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3
That's why I got the ext maint.... It only takes one time....
Extended warranty , not maint
      09-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I thought that the price was pretty outrageous myself...

Thinking about it.. The $1300 in parts you can't really agrue with - I'm sure there is markup on those but it is what it is. The Fuel Control Module was completely 100% unnecessary and wasn't the cause of any problems. I'd be more inclined to have replaced the fuel pump over the module, but their diagnostics pointed to the frel pressure sensor or module so the warranty company decided to replace both.

Let's break it down...
Idle control valve can't take more than 7 hours...

Seven hours at 125 an hour comes to $875
Figure two hours for diagnostic time - $250
Replacing the fuel pressure sensor - $250 (ballpark two hours, I'm guessing here)
Replacing the fuel module (this litereally takes 10 minutes and requires no programming or coding, so I'm not going to put a number on this.)

Adding all of that up, I come to $2700. I can't imagine what the last $1000 is for, seems like gouging to me..

Yesterday I read the codes and I had a code for 'Fuel Model Comparison'. So I'm not sure if this is the end of their ordeal, there may be something else that might need replacing. The car is definitely a monster again and doesn't exhibit all of those quirkly low end drivability problems it had before taking it in. Time tells all tales

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 09-14-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #18
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Hmmm... What warranty do you have? My factory warranty is already expired, I wonder if I can still get one? I had one for my last car (350Z) and the warranty company just pocketed my $2K because I never used it.
      09-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I thought that the price was pretty outrageous myself...

Thinking about it.. The $1300 in parts you can't really agrue with - I'm sure there is markup on those but it is what it is. The Fuel Control Module was completely 100% unnecessary and wasn't the cause of any problems. I'd be more inclined to have replaced the fuel pump over the module, but their diagnostics pointed to the frel pressure sensor or module so the warranty company decided to replace both.

Let's break it down...
Idle control valve can't take more than 7 hours...

Seven hours at 125 an hour comes to $875
Figure two hours for diagnostic time - $250
Replacing the fuel pressure sensor - $250 (ballpark two hours, I'm guessing here)
Replacing the fuel module (this litereally takes 10 minutes and requires no programming or coding, so I'm not going to put a number on this.)

Adding all of that up, I come to $2700. I can't imagine what the last $1000 is for, seems like gouging to me..

Yesterday I read the codes and I had a code for 'Fuel Model Comparison'. So I'm not sure if this is the end of their ordeal, there may be something else that might need replacing. The car is definitely a monster again and doesn't exhibit all of those quirkly low end drivability problems it had before taking it in. Time tells all tales
Maybe I missed it, but do you mind sharing which company you are using?

When I went through the throttle actuator ordeal, the prices that I was reading for this job were upwards of $2k.
The DIY can be done in half a day with parts cost coming to $800. So they will kill you on labor, for a job that I thought was not bad at all and I'm not THAT skilled of a mechanic.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Maybe I missed it, but do you mind sharing which company you are using?

When I went through the throttle actuator ordeal, the prices that I was reading for this job were upwards of $2k.
The DIY can be done in half a day with parts cost coming to $800. So they will kill you on labor, for a job that I thought was not bad at all and I'm not THAT skilled of a mechanic.
Extended warranty company is Zurich.

Here is some info on them:
http://secure.zurichna.com/uug/autod...256ca600634ffb

So far I'm pretty happy.

Just threw a base tune in the car for fun and it's running quite well. Pulls like a freight train. Also changed the freestanding revlimit to 3,500 rpm. It's like launch control -- pull out the clutch to launch and it rockets up to 8,600. I'll have to post a video of it, it's a cool feature for those that get the performance software.

Edit: I also opted for the extended maintenance warranty and the tire warranty. The tire warranty was $1000 four and a half years ago and has already paid for itself. They have already replaced 2 or 3 tires over the years and one wheel from a nasty pothole.

The extended maintenance was $3400, and I have yet to use that yet. But I think that when the car needs rotors all the way around, that it will almost pay for itself there.

You can never have enough coverage!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
kiln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

and that is why I do the work myself.. outrageous
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Edit: I also opted for the extended maintenance warranty and the tire warranty. The tire warranty was $1000 four and a half years ago and has already paid for itself. They have already replaced 2 or 3 tires over the years and one wheel from a nasty pothole.
Will they replace aftermarket wheels?