BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

07-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
psperos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

raced a 997 CS with my 335 coupe

I raced my friends 997 on some stright away runs.

My car is stock, so was the 997, both cars were manual.

Let me first say this is the first time i have ever raced, so better drivers here would have different results. Im probably the worst benchmark for this stuff.

At first i forgot to take of the traction control and my engine was getting cut of the line because my tires would not stick.

After i took it off, we had some good runs, i took it off the line a couple times but not matter what the 997 always pulled a head espically at higher speeds. We did some pacing on the highway and the thing killed me above 100mph.

at most i was 1-1.5 car lengths behind him on the straight away. Sometimes not even 1.

On the highway runs( pacing with eachother) it pulled as much as 2 lengths ahead of me at high sppends. The end result was, the 335 kept up with it, but will never beat a 997 CS. I'm convinced with a few mods it could take it, but the porsche is such a sweet car all around.. engine sounds, handing etc.

My buddy was really impresed with the 335. Side by side, as we were racing he kept looking over at me with suprised looks on his face that i was even still next to him.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Nice runs. Yeah, with the PROcede, the results would be the reverse.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
WAYNEBO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Good, honest story... thanks for sharing.
      07-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Nice! 997s are so sexy too bad they cost twice as much as a 335i
      07-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
renasis
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335I

always wanted to reace one , your luckly boy
      07-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Makes me wonder how the M3 would compare.
      07-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #7
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Ahhh, already been done...at least with a 911 CS anyway. and you'll see I'm not full of it. btw -- the 911 CS /911 4S runs 0-60mph in ~ 4.6sec.; yes, that's definitely fast, but a PROcede 335i is right there with it...maybe even faster. The 997 GT3 (911 GT3) is another animal though.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |

Last edited by sflgator; 07-28-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

wait you guys cannot just go by numbers. 335i and m3 are basically the same speed cars am i right? so is the evo and m3 from many runs i have done. dead even. I have a 02 C4S and i raced the m3 and we are dead even and i raced the Evo and we were almost dead even i took it by half car length due to the evo owners shifting. a 335i should take it with a good driver or atleast be dead even with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

But with the Procede should be able to rape the living hell out of it. Make sure the 997 doesnt transform into a Turbo then ur in trouble. haha
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: still deciding what to order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Ahhh, already been done...at least with a 911 CS anyway. and you'll see I'm not full of it. btw -- the 911 CS /911 4S runs 0-60mph in ~ 4.6sec.; yes, that's definitely fast, but a PROcede 335i is right there with it...maybe even faster. The 997 GT3 (911 GT3) is another animal though.
Maybe in a drag race. Just buy a piece of shit mustang gt and put a blower and some drag radials on it if that's your only measure of performance. It will beat the 335i with procede every time and cost much less. If you factor in other things like lateral g's, slalom speed and braking around a real track the 997 is in a completely different league as the 335i. All of the ECU mods in the world won't make it a light weight sports car that handles well. As for the 997's price... why not race an Evo RS? That thing is only $27,000 and will absolutely murder the 335i at everything. There is always something faster for cheaper. Anyone who has actually driven a 997 wouldn't knock its price. It's worth every penny. I know no one is talking about the price yet but I can see it coming lol
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
Maybe in a drag race. Just buy a piece of shit mustang gt and put a blower and some drag radials on it if that's your only measure of performance. It will beat the 335i with procede every time and cost much less. If you factor in other things like lateral g's, slalom speed and braking around a real track the 997 is in a completely different league as the 335i. All of the ECU mods in the world won't make it a light weight sports car that handles well. As for the 997's price... why not race an Evo RS? That thing is only $27,000 and will absolutely murder the 335i at everything. There is always something faster for cheaper. Anyone who has actually driven a 997 wouldn't knock its price. It's worth every penny. I know no one is talking about the price yet but I can see it coming lol
True...a Porsche 911 is a Porsche 911, no doubt. I think a 335i and PROcede 335i has much more on the Cayman S.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
True...a Porsche 911 is a Porsche 911, no doubt. I think a 335i and PROcede 335i has much more on the Cayman S.
Lets see... The Cayman S is a mid boxer engined car that weighs under 3k pounds, has a precise cable linked shifter, perfectly tuned suspension and steering, mono block multipiston brakes with cross drilled rotors and is probably the best handling car sold in the US aside from a Lotus or maybe a GT3.

The 335i is an overweight, runflat equipped soft suspensioned luxury car with single piston floating calipers. Again, maybe procede makes it faster in a straight line, but a mustang is fast in a straight line as well. The 335i is just never going to be the sports car the Cayman or 911 is. Just like the Cayman is never going to take four adults golfing in quiet comfort.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #13
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

keep turning off your DSC and your car's going to end up wrapped around a pole

don't drive like an ass on the street

you don't own a racecar
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #14
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Lets see... The Cayman S is a mid boxer engined car that weighs under 3k pounds, has a precise cable linked shifter, perfectly tuned suspension and steering, mono block multipiston brakes with cross drilled rotors and is probably the best handling car sold in the US aside from a Lotus or maybe a GT3.

The 335i is an overweight, runflat equipped soft suspensioned luxury car with single piston floating calipers. Again, maybe procede makes it faster in a straight line, but a mustang is fast in a straight line as well. The 335i is just never going to be the sports car the Cayman or 911 is. Just like the Cayman is never going to take four adults golfing in quiet comfort.
Funny, b/c the 335i very close to a Cayman S at the track (there are multiple threads on 335i's in track races with Cayman S and others), and it's faster in a straight line than a Cayman S.

A Cayman S isn't even much of a challenge for a PROcede 335i. Dude, I think you're on the wrong Forum...this is a BMW Enthusiast Forum; we love Porsches but please also give credit where credit is due -- the 335i is one very competitive car...let's not forget that a stock 335i's TQ is ~ 350 lb.-ft. (based on dynos not BMW's published underrated numbers) and a PROcede 335i's TQ is ~ 450 lb.-ft.).

Last edited by sflgator; 07-28-2007 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #15
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

911>335i.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #16
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Funny, b/c the 335i very close to a Cayman S at the track (there are multiple threads on 335i's in track races with Cayman S and others), and it's faster in a straight line than a Cayman S.

A Cayman S isn't even much of a challenge for a PROcede 335i. Dude, I think you're on the wrong Forum...this is a BMW Enthusiast Forum; we love Porsches but please also give credit where credit is due -- the 335i is one very competitive car...let's not forget that a stock 335i's TQ is ~ 350 lb.-ft. (based on dynos not BMW's published underrated numbers) and a PROcede 335i's TQ is ~ 450 lb.-ft.).

I go on Porsche forums too occasionally. I have owned BMWs, and driven both of the cars we're talking about. The truth is Porsche forums aren't much fun. People on BMW forums have this mentality that whatever they are driving is superior to everything else on the road. In a Porsche forum if you say the manual is superior to an AT to a guy who has the AT he will say something like "I know it's slower, but the wife can't drive a stick." On this forum if you say the exact same thing you will get 20 idiots saying that Michael Schumacher's F1 car has paddles, so all cars with automated shifting are better. Even though they have no idea how either system works.

Same thing with speed. If you compare a Porsche to a 335i the Porsche is way too much money and the 335i with procede is better because it can keep up in a straight line. Then of course if you compare the same 335i to an Evo that kills it at everything for less money the Evo is an economy ricer piece of shit that can't even be spoken of in the same sentence as a BMW.

I give credit where it is due. I'm not trying to say the BMW is a poorly constructed car or isn't fast in a straight line. I'm saying that all of these idiots who think that Procede makes their car an Enzo need to realize it does not. It's still just a luxury coupe. It's a well made reasonably performing luxury coupe. It's no sports car though. Get it on the track stock and the Cayman will make it look like the luxury car it is.

There is no shame in having a luxury car. Some people here just need a reality check. More power or speed in a straight line does not add up to a superior performing car in many cases. The most fun I've ever had driving was in a Lotus with 190 HP. Believe me, just because a proceded 335i has twice the hp does not make it twice the car. People who have never driven the Lotus would never understand that though.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #17
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I go on Porsche forums too occasionally. I have owned BMWs, and driven both of the cars we're talking about. The truth is Porsche forums aren't much fun. People on BMW forums have this mentality that whatever they are driving is superior to everything else on the road. In a Porsche forum if you say the manual is superior to an AT to a guy who has the AT he will say something like "I know it's slower, but the wife can't drive a stick." On this forum if you say the exact same thing you will get 20 idiots saying that Michael Schumacher's F1 car has paddles, so all cars with automated shifting are better. Even though they have no idea how either system works.

Same thing with speed. If you compare a Porsche to a 335i the Porsche is way too much money and the 335i with procede is better because it can keep up in a straight line. Then of course if you compare the same 335i to an Evo that kills it at everything for less money the Evo is an economy ricer piece of shit that can't even be spoken of in the same sentence as a BMW.

I give credit where it is due. I'm not trying to say the BMW is a poorly constructed car or isn't fast in a straight line. I'm saying that all of these idiots who think that Procede makes their car an Enzo need to realize it does not. It's still just a luxury coupe. It's a well made reasonably performing luxury coupe. It's no sports car though. Get it on the track stock and the Cayman will make it look like the luxury car it is.

There is no shame in having a luxury car. Some people here just need a reality check. More power or speed in a straight line does not add up to a superior performing car in many cases. The most fun I've ever had driving was in a Lotus with 190 HP. Believe me, just because a proceded 335i has twice the hp does not make it twice the car. People who have never driven the Lotus would never understand that though.
I understand where you're coming from; my brother has a Lotus Elise (with an intake and NOS)...he and I went to our local 1/4 mi. track last month and we both ran in 13.0xx sec...me in my PROcede 335i and him in his NOS Lotus Elise. Yes, his car is very fun to drive, handles better than almost all other cars, and it's very loud. However, it's only a weekend car, and I definitely wouldn't want to drive it everyday...not comfortable at all and bare bones inside. As a matter of fact, I loved when I got back into my car after driving with him in his Lotus Elise...yes, I love all the comforts and technology in my 335i; I also love that it handles well and it's fast as freakin' hell. His DD is something completely different as well. We're going back to the track in Oct. or Nov. when the weather cools off; I'm fairly confident that with cooler weather and PROcede v2.0, I'll be running in the mid-high 12's @ ~ 110mph.

Here are a few pics from our track night...my PROcede 335i (on the left) and my buddy's stock 335i (he ran 13.6-13.8sec. @ 102.xxmph that night compared with my PROcede 335i at 13.097sec. @ 106.67mph) and my brother's Lotus Elise w/ NOS and intake (the silver/black Elise)...

Oh, btw -- getting back to the original thread topic, have you seen these videos? Check out this thread...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=335i+porsche
Attached Images

Last edited by sflgator; 07-28-2007 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #18
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

Quote:

It's like you took the thoughts in my head and wrote them down exactly for me.

I like the 335, it's a great looking car thats fast and pretty luxurious that you can also take on a roadtrip or to the golf course. While procede is a big improvement, it isn't some god button that transforms the vehicle into some super car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #19
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It's like you took the thoughts in my head and wrote them down exactly for me.

I like the 335, it's a great looking car thats fast and pretty luxurious that you can also take on a roadtrip or to the golf course. While procede is a big improvement, it isn't some god button that transforms the vehicle into some super car.
True, but PROcede v2.0, an LSD, bigger, wider, stickier non-RFTs, and a suspension mod might get it close; not what I choose to spend my money on (except the PROcede, wheels & tires of course ), but others might.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #20
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
True, but PROcede v2.0, an LSD, bigger, wider, stickier non-RFTs, and a suspension mod might get it close; not what I choose to spend my money on (except the PROcede, wheels & tires of course ), but others might.
if you spend enough money you can make a toyota echo faster than a 911
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #21
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
if you spend enough money you can make a toyota echo faster than a 911
Yeah, I know...what's the point of that? I agree modding is ok and fun...just up to some point though; I think spending thousands upon thousands of $$ seems kind of crazy (to me, up to $3k-$4k is ok, but $5k-$10k+ is kind of over the top, imho), especially when you can just get a better, faster stock car to begin with.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #22
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
I have raced all 3 911 S Variant's: the cabriolet, the 911 S, the 911 4S. Same result, I pulled nicely on all of them. Oddly enough, the faster we were the harder I pulled.
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
Appreciate 0