BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #485
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjay View Post
I dont think AA ever said it went 198mph.
Looks like it was the OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #486
Kr3st
Wheel Whore
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
That's just what AA said the reason why they denied the claim. So as far as the BMW paperwork goes, it would appear that it was denied for other reasons. I think this just lends more credit to the fact that AA isn't telling the entire truth about what occurred.

Actually, the OP posted that in the first post.

"After having the car at the dealership for a week, they came back and said they had found the top speed of the car recorded was 198mph, and that the factory settings wont allow for that. That speed was recorded while on the dyno. They denied my claim saying that modifications had been performed to the cars engine and they would not cover it."
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #487
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr3st View Post
Actually, the OP posted that in the first post.

"After having the car at the dealership for a week, they came back and said they had found the top speed of the car recorded was 198mph, and that the factory settings wont allow for that. That speed was recorded while on the dyno. They denied my claim saying that modifications had been performed to the cars engine and they would not cover it."
There ya go!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #488
MPoweredAuto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e90 M3's

Answers and Questions

I understand everyones views at this point, and will attempt to answer them as best I can.

IIRC I was never given documentation, or signed documentation expressing no claim of responsibility when I paid for my supercharger at AA. As for having the paperwork from AA, I don't know I still even have it. IF AA has signed documentation or receipt clearly stating that, then I suggest they come forth with it.

My inclusion of the repair order from the dealership is to show 100% proof that this engine failed at 27,278mi. They did not write down details of why the claim was denied, even having spoken to higher ups at BMWNA. The recorded speed of 198mph must have been stored in the key and the service writer told me that number. Again, it was not logged, however I may be able to get another report from the dealer saying that top speed was reached, which I believe to be true because I was there in person when it happened. Yet, the freeze frame data from AA says the top speed hit was 175mph. Also their data states the mileage was very different then what it really was.

I do not claim to be an expert on this engine or kit, and therefor appreciate all insight, data, and comments posted by all the members of this forum. With that said I cannot pinpoint what caused failure on someone elses design. I could make educated guesses, but so can everyone else here on the forum.

Nevertheless, I based my purchase decision in good faith that Active Autowerke, having been around for 30+ years has done extensive testing and they assured me this was a reliable setup. All information given to me indicated there had been a vast amount of tuning expertise and R&D incorporated into this kit. Had I ever been given the notion that this kit may cause catastrophic failure, would I have bought it? NO. Once again, I was assured many times it was RELIABLE. So much to the fact that when my car didn't produce the claimed numbers on the dyno, I asked what could be done. The answer from "Scrappy" was that they could increase the timing, but that would jeopardize the engine and possibly cause damages that they couldn't be responsible for. At that time I decided NOT to tamper with the tune and leave their "track tested" tune the way it was, so not to damage my car.

I understand the views of those who say "you gotta pay to play", but when is this statement too much? I put 1,200 miles on my car with a kit I was assured would hold up. I did not exceed the limitations of what they claimed, and end result is failure.

Let's say we forget that I had to fork over a ton of money to fix a problem I feel was caused by this kit. Let's look at the fact that there is irrefutable proof AA has falsely generated a document to make me out to be a liar. On top of that, they have continued to LIE to their customers about the reliability and failure rate of these said kits. On top of that, they put the blame elsewhere, so as not to have to pay for repairs. I don't care who you are, if you have been in business for 30 years, you don't just change your practicing ways overnight. I feel that when the worst happens, how you are defined is how you take care of the situation.

The only way I see this getting better for AA is for someone to step up to the plate and take responsibility. I do not think it is fair to throw in a new guy for him to take the hit in this community, when we all know it was not his decision to lie and deceive the good members of this community.

I also ask that Active answer my 3 questions:

1. Where did that freeze frame data come from, because it did NOT come from my car.

2. What happened to the 2 cars in question that I inquired about before? Going to come clean with those 2 as well? How many engines has AA lost with this kit installed?

3. Who is going to take accountability for this incident on behalf of AA?

Last edited by MPoweredAuto; 01-24-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #489
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

I feel like this thread has unnecessarily drifted to many avenues so to speak, and it has been entertaining. It would have been nice for AA to have helped the OP out, but nice and what they are legally bound to do are two different things. If I ever decided to go FI on such a complicated motor, I would not be surprised if something went wrong. It sounds like you were unlucky OP, a victim of Murphy's Law. But how on earth didn't you consider the probability of something going wrong? As minor of a probability as it may have been. I feel bad for you, but you took a gamble and you lost.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #490
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I don't see how this shows that the data AA posted was altered or invalid.
I'm not following your post. His engine let go, as per the BMW paperwork, when it had 43,897 km on it. AA said they the data slip they posted is from *after* he had the failure, and it was sent to them. The slip data shows the car had 42,231 km on it when it failed, (ironically) 1666 km *less* than what the dealer noted on the service paperwork. Either the dealer paperwork is listing the incorrect mileage, or the AA mileage is incorrect. Andrew has not posted anything since the OP revealed his hand, and since he PMed me immediately thereafter (regarding a post I made), I know they're watching this.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 01-24-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #491
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I'm not following your post. His engine let go, as per the BMW paperwork, when it had 43,897 km on it. AA said they the data slip they posted is from *after* he had the failure, and it was sent to them. The slip data shows the car had 42,231 km on it when it failed, (ironically) 1666 km *less* than what the dealer noted on the service paperwork. Either the dealer paperwork is listing the incorrect mileage, or the AA mileage is incorrect. Andrew has not posted anything since the OP revealed his hand, and since he PMed me immediately thereafter (regarding a post I made), I know they're watching this.
I'm not following your post either; let's figure it out : )

The way the shadow memory works, per my understanding, is that an event is logged with the mileage. So AA stated the mileage at the time they saw an over-rev event. If the OP kept driving it after that event, then perhaps they were careless in their analysis - suggesting that event caused the failure. I guess one could also assume they are dishonest, but it take more than that for me to make that jump.

Did AA state that the shadow memory showed the mileage at the time of the engine failure to be different than on the service write-up? I didn't see that if they did. Didn't search back either...

Either way, this is all largely irrelevant unless the OP actually has some proof that shows the AA kit caused the failure. There seems to be debate among the experts as to the conclusions which can be drawn from the engine pics.

As to why AA has remained silent, I wouldn't be surprised if it is because they are speaking to the law and/or a lawyer. I would be...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #492
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tma1c View Post
Why the 2 threads on the same topic??? Kinda stupid.
This whole topic is stupid..25 pages and what has everyone learned..

Uuuuh newsflash: if you boost your M3 you "may" damage your engine.

Wow glad we cleared that up..cause this crowd was about to buy some Amway products.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #493
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
I'm not following your post either; let's figure it out : )

The way the shadow memory works, per my understanding, is that an event is logged with the mileage. So AA stated the mileage at the time they saw an over-rev event. If the OP kept driving it after that event, then perhaps they were careless in their analysis - suggesting that event caused the failure. I guess one could also assume they are dishonest, but it take more than that for me to make that jump.

Did AA state that the shadow memory showed the mileage at the time of the engine failure to be different than on the service write-up? I didn't see that if they did. Didn't search back either...

Either way, this is all largely irrelevant unless the OP actually has some proof that shows the AA kit caused the failure. There seems to be debate among the experts as to the conclusions which can be drawn from the engine pics.

As to why AA has remained silent, I wouldn't be surprised if it is because they are speaking to the law and/or a lawyer. I would be...
Yep, all this proves is the engine failure didn't occur at the same time as the over-rev. Unless Mike has already read the freeze-frame data from his car and it's different from what AA has already posted but the OP/Mike hasn't posted it to the thread yet then I'm not sure how the OP can state "where did that freeze frame data come from, because it did not come from my car"? Nothing posted in this thread yet supports that statement.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #494
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Speak to the law for what? lol Any company who's confident enough to be in this forum should understand the benefits or the dirt that comes along with it. Plenty of members have shared their good and bad experiences. Plenty of members have asked companies to correct their issue or they would come forth to tell their bad experience. Not saying who is right or wrong here but this is what forums are all about and probably a reason why Dinan doesn't participate. Amazon and Ebay are no different. Plenty of feedback there too when things don't go right.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #495
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Agreed...there is no legal play here for either party!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #496
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
Speak to the law for what? lol Any company who's confident enough to be in this forum should understand the benefits or the dirt that comes along with it. Plenty of members have shared their good and bad experiences. Plenty of members have asked companies to correct their issue or they would come forth to tell their bad experience. Not saying who is right or wrong here but this is what forums are all about and probably a reason why Dinan doesn't participate. Amazon and Ebay are no different. Plenty of feedback there too when things don't go right.
Emailing someone and threatening to expose damaging material unless money is paid is blackmail and it is illegal. Of course, AA hasn't posted the emails from the OP, but he didn't seem to deny the fact that he threatened to take it to the boards if he wasn't compensated financially. This isn't just about his cars, as you can see - he appears to be holding additional secret information about two other cars which he plans to expose as well - again, after his financial demands were not met.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #497
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

Its verry well possible the over rev or the data was stored, then they kept driving the car till it went aboom. OP ould be telling the truth tht it went boom driving normal at 6000 rpm. But at one point beore that something hppened that caused damaged to the motor that later went boom.
OP still havent proove that AAs kit Was defective and casued the damages.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #498
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Emailing someone and threatening to expose damaging material unless money is paid is blackmail and it is illegal. Of course, AA hasn't posted the emails from the OP, but he didn't seem to deny the fact that he threatened to take it to the boards if he wasn't compensated financially. This isn't just about his cars, as you can see - he appears to be holding additional secret information about two other cars which he plans to expose as well - again, after his financial demands were not met.
But it's not like he came from left field asking for money. He believes the AA supercharger did damage his engine and thinks they're responsible for his loss. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say where the line is drawn. Maybe his mistake was writing that warning email instead of just stating his customer experience...or bringing up the other 2 cars that have nothing to do with him. Or can he simply say that he was just responding to their lies... Either way, since AA also responded by posting their side of story along with his data, I don't see how they can go back now and press charges.

BTW, not saying who is actually at fault here. Still am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #499
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

OP what proof do you have that AA kit damaged your motor?
Go ahead and tell us about the 2 car you posted. You seem to know the story about them. AA dont have to show or tell us about other peoples car. They dont have to proove the kit didnt damage it. The kit was fine when removed wasnt it? If the kit had a broken part then let us know.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #500
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Agreed...there is no legal play here for either party!
just that it looks like the OP is stating AA blew quit a few Motors along with his...To bad we won't find out if it's true or not anytime soon
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #501
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

I have had a lot of experiance in destroying engines over my 40 years of hooning,racing and just fucking up mechanical things.The damage caused by an overrev quite often does not show up right away.I had one engine in a snowmobile that was stuck at full throttle on its side unloaded in the trees with no oil presure for over a minute.It ran fine for 1000 kms and then a rod bearing let go and took out the bottom end.I have seen massive overrevs in other peoples cars where the vehicle ran fine for a while and then blew up while being used normally.
Start modifying an already highly stressed stock motor you have to expect that there will be failures.If you are not prepared for this possibility when you mod your car.Maybe you should not be playing in this arena.Start with something else that has the power you want in the 1st place instead of playing the mod game and go crying to everybody when it breaks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #502
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s
I have had a lot of experiance in destroying engines over my 40 years of hooning,racing and just fucking up mechanical things.The damage caused by an overrev quite often does not show up right away.I had one engine in a snowmobile that was stuck at full throttle on its side unloaded in the trees with no oil presure for over a minute.It ran fine for 1000 kms and then a rod bearing let go and took out the bottom end.I have seen massive overrevs in other peoples cars where the vehicle ran fine for a while and then blew up while being used normally.
Start modifying an already highly stressed stock motor you have to expect that there will be failures.If you are not prepared for this possibility when you mod your car.Maybe you should not be playing in this arena.Start with something else that has the power you want in the 1st place instead of playing the mod game and go crying to everybody when it breaks!
Thanks for chiming in Duncan!

What you are saying is absolutely true, an over rev sometimes don't cause an immediate failure, but a failure at some time down the road.

To Justin, the Feeeze Frame Data was most likely authentic. This don't help you either, all it does is show that you or someone driving your car over revved it at the KM listed on the AA file that they posted it.

It don't matter what you do from this point, maybe the kit caused the failure, maybe an over rev weakend the the rod and it let go 1000 miles later.

Unless the data Mike gets off your DME is vastly different, I don't think you are going to gain anything by continuing this.
      01-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #503
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Makes a lot of sense

Possible scenario:

Unloaded overrev stretches tie rod, potentially inducing cracks. Cyclic fatigue over time stretches the cracks until the the tie rod lets go under normal operation. ???
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #504
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

So what's the deal on the other 2 cars??? Active??
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #505
MPoweredAuto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e90 M3's

Obviously Active is now going to remain quiet. While all the theories supporting AA are valid, they are not true. Their record of my mileage is inaccurate, because if it were it would mean I put well over 2500 miles on this car once equipped with their kit. I stand by my claim of only having 12xx miles.
The shear fact is that AA accused me of "money shifting" my car and they STATED that the data and mileage recorded was the mileage that my engine failed. At time every bit of evidence they have provided I have disproved.

It amazes me that people will go to such lengths to cover their lies. I am no way going to back down from this now.

I will continue to post data when it becomes available. I will not rest until my name is cleared.

Last edited by MPoweredAuto; 01-25-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #506
classic6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB/BB E90 M3

I have read through every page and I'm sorry, but you still havent proven that AA was at fault. As for your name being cleared...Active didnt come out and attack you, you brought this on yourself by bringing it public.
Appreciate 0