BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

09-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

How Can you disable BMW assist?

You can disable it by pulling the fuse in the trunk

This will disable Bluetooth as well.
Quote:
There is a module that is located on the side of the trunk under the carpet. Just unplug the antenna and you should be okay.

Last edited by persian54; 09-07-2011 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: People kept going OT
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
What does that mean?

If you track your car for real - get track insurance. That's the only way to go, unless you have deep pockets.
What he means is that if you track your car and get in an accident bmw assist will immediatley be contacted and know your exact location (the track) This is a problem because they can then void his warranty and other problems.

Send me a pm Persian I think I can help you out.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
What he means is that if you track your car and get in an accident bmw assist will immediatley be contacted and know your exact location (the track) This is a problem because they can then void his warranty and other problems.

Send me a pm Persian I think I can help you out.
They won't void your warranty for a non-competitive non-timed track day. But, you can't make an insurance claim by suggesting it happened outside the track.. that is fraud and if it ever gets back to the track they can be in some hot water.
      09-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
They won't void your warranty for a non-competitive non-timed track day. But, you can't make an insurance claim by suggesting it happened outside the track.. that is fraud and if it ever gets back to the track they can be in some hot water.
I would not be so quick to say that about warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I would not be so quick to say that about warranty.
Why? BMW has *sent* me on track days here. With BMW instructors, other BMW dealership staff, etc.
      09-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
+1 This. To say BMW will void your warranty because you took your M3 to the track is simply retarded.
If something major were to fail for some reason; BMW knowing you were at the track does not help you at all. Just my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Quote:
If something major were to fail for some reason; BMW knowing you were at the track does not help you at all. Just my opinion...
Exactly.
For those that don't - read the last page of your M manual supplement.

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
Exactly.
For those that don't - read the last page of your M manual supplement.
pg 55 btw.

And no. Again. It says COMPETITIVE (e.g., timed, many laps over many days, etc.) If you are racing competitively in timed events, or anything of that nature, you should forget your warranty.. seems fair doesn't it? If you're going to the odd casual track day (notably, ones put on by BMW), they aren't going to see you there and outright void your warranty.

Of course, they will not warranty your clutch, brakes, etc. that are subject to the abuse of track days. How is this not obvious to anyone? Are you guys suggesting you will try to claim warranty on prematurely worn parts from the track?

Now if it's your engine or transmission, something major, that could get interesting. But like I said, if BMW is putting on the track day, GO. And don't worry about it. Also note, it asks you to visit the dealership PRIOR to attending the track day. This is part of establishing liability and ensuring a happy outcome.

Last edited by stefan; 09-07-2011 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

I've read a lot of posts from people that think that once their tires touch the track, their car transmits an emergency signal to BMW headquarters where red lights start flashing, sirens start going off, and a man in a black suit and sunglasses takes a key from around his neck, unlocks the "VOID WARRANTY" switch, and flips it.

I've also read a lot of posts from people that think that all of the major insurance companies hire photographers to go out to tracks every day and photograph every license plate they see, both on the track and in the parking lot, send the photos to the insurance headquarters and if they get a match then red lights start flashing, sirens start going off, and a man in a black suit and sunglasses takes a key from around his neck, unlocks the "RAISE RATES BY 5,000%" switch, and flips it.

Oddly enough, I have yet to read a post from anyone that this has actually happened too.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Most insurance policies remain in effect on track days as well. I read my whole policy and it said that as long as it wasn't a timed, competitive event you were covered. Since most track days are high performance driving SCHOOLS with instructors, it wouldn't apply. But yeah if you're in a racing club, just get track insurance.

Another fun part of my policy: In the bodily injury and comprehensive coverage exclusions section, it says that coverage does not extend to loss caused by "discharge of a nuclear weapon, even if accidental." Who said fine print couldn't be entertaining?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-07-2011 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

When I picked up my car new at the dealership,BMW assist was not active.I received printed instructions on how to activate from my SA,but never followed through with the activation.Bluetooth works fine,I use it every day.Not sure if the two have anything to do with each other.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

There is a module that is located on the side of the trunk under the carpet. Just unplug the antenna and you should be okay.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

in my dreams, I do have a transponder (though never registered to my legal name), but it is no means a 'competition"

furthermore, I am not referring to warranty, that is of no concern to me.

and anyways, with regards to warranty, your entire warranty can NEVER be voided based on 1 event (well, unless that one event, on track or off track, causes the car to be salvaged. salvaged cars do not have any warranty IIRC).

Anyways, I have read the manual...this questions has nothing to do with BMW.

I like how you guys start arguing, stating the manual etc etc...and no one actually answered the question at hand...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM505SX View Post
When I picked up my car new at the dealership,BMW assist was not active.I received printed instructions on how to activate from my SA,but never followed through with the activation.Bluetooth works fine,I use it every day.Not sure if the two have anything to do with each other.
You really should activate it. You can get a break on your insurance since it works like LoJack, and if you're ever knocked unconscious in an accident it will automatically place an emergency call to let paramedics know where you are.

And if you don't have Comfort Access and might therefore be able to lock the keys in your car or trunk, they can remotely unlock your car.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
does this not also interfere with Bluetooth?

Do you have a picture? a diagram of some sort?

Yay for an answer
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
You really should activate it. You can get a break on your insurance since it works like LoJack, and if you're ever knocked unconscious in an accident it will automatically place an emergency call to let paramedics know where you are.
This is why I want it while on the street

the insurance discount is POS

I save $20 per YEAR..... big whoop
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The manual appears to be quite clear - stay out of competitive driving, and your warranty will be covered.

However, there have been threads and posts in the past about denied coverage due to 'premature wear' from track use, including for substantial items.

My personal opinion is that it depends upon your personal rapport with your dealer, and a case-by-case basis. That being said, it's important to acknowledge that by going to the track, you do accept SOME risk, and there IS a chance that if something goes wrong, BMW MAY not cover your warranty request by claiming you "abused" the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #18
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I am also not requesting information on anything illegal.

I never stated that I do track, only in dreams

Furthermore, I do not want to claim anything with any company, legitimate or not

I simply want to know how I can easily disconnect BMW Assist (for whatever reason) and then reactivate it again whenever i want to
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
My personal opinion is that it depends upon your personal rapport with your dealer, and a case-by-case basis. That being said, it's important to acknowledge that by going to the track, you do accept SOME risk, and there IS a chance that if something goes wrong, BMW MAY not cover your warranty request by claiming you "abused" the car.
You pay to play, I understand that.

Thank you.

Again though, this is has absolutely nothing to do with BMW, BMW NA, BMW FS, BMW Warranty, Insurance, Insurance covering something, insurance not covering something...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
stega
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I am also not requesting information on anything illegal.

I never stated that I do track, only in dreams

Furthermore, I do not want to claim anything with any company, legitimate or not

I simply want to know how I can easily disconnect BMW Assist (for whatever reason) and then reactivate it again whenever i want to
In your trunk you can pull the connector from the harness and disable assist. Ask Technic on the forms which connector it is, I am pretty sure he knows.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #21
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
in my dreams, I do have a transponder (though never registered to my legal name), but it is no means a 'competition"

furthermore, I am not referring to warranty, that is of no concern to me.

and anyways, with regards to warranty, your entire warranty can NEVER be voided based on 1 event (well, unless that one event, on track or off track, causes the car to be salvaged. salvaged cars do not have any warranty IIRC).

Anyways, I have read the manual...this questions has nothing to do with BMW.

I like how you guys start arguing, stating the manual etc etc...and no one actually answered the question at hand...
I'm sorry, but you're not likely to get a response. I'm sure that any modification capable of disabling BMW assist would also void your warranty in some way, shape or form. But good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #22
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
You really should activate it. You can get a break on your insurance since it works like LoJack, and if you're ever knocked unconscious in an accident it will automatically place an emergency call to let paramedics know where you are. Unless, of course, they find out that you are on a race track in which case they will remotely activate the "You're Toast" icon in iDrive.

Fixed

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0