BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #23
StaceyAnthon
Rep
Drives: aodi

I'm torn between the two and would really like your opinion.
      07-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #24
Zaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwSC8 View Post
Sounds really good. Just out of curiosity, did you consider the other oem exhaust mod (4 perforated pipes)? I'm torn between the two and would really like your opinion.

I think the ACM sound is what I want 70% of the time, but scared it's too loud the 30%. How is it with windows up?

Thanks for the most comprehensive review yet btw
If you are considering to replace all 4 perforated pipes, it will be better and easier to do the ACM mod. However, if you replace the 2 large perforated pipes, and feel that the sound is too tamed for you, than you can still do the ACM mod. It's a no issue.

Just do the periokid mod and if you feel you need louder, than go for the ACM mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #25
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_SIX View Post
Not a good idea? Lol
I opted for the perforated 2 pipes replacement method and absolutely love it. Most guys who chose the same method will agree with me when I say drone is non existent.
I heard ACM mod in person a few days ago. While its louder than perforated, it sounds a bit raspy to me. kthnxbye
that's what I recall ACM telling me. Like i said I wasn't sure so to ask them is the best thing to do regarding pipes. I just looked back at my email to them, they said the muffler delete was a BAD idea and has lots of drone.

ACM is just the perfect volume for me. Anymore tamed and I would question why I would even have had it done
      07-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #26
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
that's what I recall ACM telling me. Like i said I wasn't sure so to ask them is the best thing to do regarding pipes. I just looked back at my email to them, they said the muffler delete was a BAD idea and has lots of drone.

ACM is just the perfect volume for me. Anymore tamed and I would question why I would even have had it done
+1 and disagree on it being raspy imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_SIX View Post
Not a good idea? Lol
I opted for the perforated 2 pipes replacement method and absolutely love it. Most guys who chose the same method will agree with me when I say drone is non existent.
I heard ACM mod in person a few days ago. While its louder than perforated, it sounds a bit raspy to me. kthnxbye
+1

I did the 2 perforated pipe replacement (aka traditional oem mod) and its perfect for me. ACM mod seems to get mixed reviews- some love it and some think it's too much as its essentially a straight-through muffler. Also how people describe drone is different - op says he can "hear and feel" the exhaust with the windows up which to me says it drones.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #28
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep

hey guys i'm sure they are all great, i only know of the ACM mod and the results. Def contact the guys who do the work for the best answers. I can only speak for the ACM mod and you can see/hear the results in the videos
      07-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
I actually had the chance to drive a friend's car with the ACM mod done and I can say it definetly has no rasp if that is a concern. I have heard the m performance both outside and inside and now the ACM outside and inside and you would have to be a total audiofile to recognize the difference.

With that said the ACM mod definetly does give you some drone at specific RPM's which is 75mph-85 mph in 7th gear. At 70mph and below it is ZERO drone.

So for the majority of people who cruise the highway and stay at 70mph cruising than this gives you the M performance exhaust for 300 bucks (minus the cool tips).

For those set on driving at 75 or above consistently and want zero drone than the M performance is better in that respect.

I forget which thread it was on but the M performance is simply a straight through design very similar to the ACM with some extra piping shooting off the side to control drone but the two sides of the muffler are not connected by any pipe like the OEM so its 2 straight through mufflers as well.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #30
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep

Quote:
I actually had the chance to drive a friend's car with the ACM mod done and I can say it definetly has no rasp if that is a concern. I have heard the m performance both outside and inside and now the ACM outside and inside and you would have to be a total audiofile to recognize the difference.

With that said the ACM mod definetly does give you some drone at specific RPM's which is 75mph-85 mph in 7th gear. At 70mph and below it is ZERO drone.

So for the majority of people who cruise the highway and stay at 70mph cruising than this gives you the M performance exhaust for 300 bucks (minus the cool tips).

For those set on driving at 75 or above consistently and want zero drone than the M performance is better in that respect.

I forget which thread it was on but the M performance is simply a straight through design very similar to the ACM with some extra piping shooting off the side to control drone but the two sides of the muffler are not connected by any pipe like the OEM so its 2 straight through mufflers as well.
lucky me I have no drone.
      07-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #31
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

The video of you driving through the reservation, is that windows up or down, I'm having a hard time figuring that out.

From the research I've done, there's for sure no doubt with the old OEM mod method. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether I'll be happy with the volume.

I can only assume that the ACM method is extremely loud during cold start up?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #32
Zaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:

If you look at the picture of the M Performance on EAS website you can see a pipe connecting left and right. I don't think it's there just for the look. I could be wrong.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...exhaust-e9x-m3
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #33
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwSC8 View Post
The video of you driving through the reservation, is that windows up or down, I'm having a hard time figuring that out.

From the research I've done, there's for sure no doubt with the old OEM mod method. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether I'll be happy with the volume.

I can only assume that the ACM method is extremely loud during cold start up?
It's with windows down. It's definitely louder but nothing as lound as an SS Race or Ginitani.

Quote:
Either your def or you are driving it in the rpm band that is outside the drone range. If you have a 6M than its in a different range than the DCT but for DCt its 7th gear between 72-80. This is not something that varies, it is the harmonics of this engine and exhaust pulse produced by the engine. Unless you have an xpipe or something that is not stock which I cannot speak to.

Problem is "drone" to one is "no drone" to another. Peoples hearing is notoriously different
There is a hum when my foot is on the gas slightly, but I don't consider that drone. I consider drone to be an annoying bass inside the cabin, none of the sounds so far have been annoying. But you're right it's different to everyone. Well if anyone is in NJ and want to hear it. Give me a shout
      07-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #34
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
lucky me I have no drone.
Perfect example of how subjective drone can be..I also heard striaght thru design and to me it drones..alot..but thats why the world spins.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #35
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
The hum is exactly what drone is. Its there even with the stock exhaust to some degree. Bass is simply bass with certain free flow exhausts. Drone is a steady hum when at a constant speed and is not bassy
I did the ACM method and I don't have any hum while driving 70+. I tried to listen for it with the windows down and didn't hear anything. Maybe my ears don't know how to differ the drone/non drone sound/feel. I've had passengers in my car that couldnt tell either. So, unless I hear something different, my car does not "drone".
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #36
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Does anyone have a link with both methods and primary cats deleted, everything else stock?
      07-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #37
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Does anyone have a link with both methods and primary cats deleted, everything else stock?
If you do a search for OEM exhaust mod and primary cats deleted, you'll find plenty.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #38
NYC Drifter
Miss my S1000RR Less
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

Great review PicassoM! ACM is installing the OEM mod on my car in 2 weeks. Stil up in the air on tips. May go with flat black 3.5s. The can will be black. Spoke to ACM and they are working on bolt on test pipes. I will be in line for that when ready.

By the way, nice jet black e92 in your pics

Gone
2012 M3 E92 M-DCT ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #39
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

What paint should be used to paint the can? I know high temp but how high should it be rated for?
      07-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #40
crispy tofu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
I still don't get why guys don't just run muffler delete pipes and custom tips. It's way cheaper, same exact sound, looks better, and weighs a ton less
My thoughts too. I have the muffler delete with welded on tips. You save the entire weight of the muffler and it's crazy inexpensive. I did some video of mine as comparison and it sounds just like the video in this post with the ACM. It's not entirely surprising, given their both straight thru.
and by the way, my drones like a mofo, and although its fun as heck when ur on it, the freeway cruising drone is killing me.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #41
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meko View Post
What paint should be used to paint the can? I know high temp but how high should it be rated for?
this is what's been popular.

VHT SP102 FlameProof Coating Flat Black Paint Can

Claims "Withstands temperatures up to 2000 degrees when cured properly"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #42
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
this is what's been popular.

VHT SP102 FlameProof Coating Flat Black Paint Can

Claims "Withstands temperatures up to 2000 degrees when cured properly"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
This is what i used..will cure on the car with a few power cycles of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #43
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

Excellent thanks guys
      07-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #44
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep

Quote:
Either your def or you are driving it in the rpm band that is outside the drone range. If you have a 6M than its in a different range than the DCT but for DCt its 7th gear between 72-80. This is not something that varies, it is the harmonics of this engine and exhaust pulse produced by the engine. Unless you have an xpipe or something that is not stock which I cannot speak to.

Problem is "drone" to one is "no drone" to another. Peoples hearing is notoriously different
OK UPDATE.

So I took her for a long drive yesterday and really payed attention to the sound up at the higher speeds. Around 80mph, in order to consistently cruise at that speed you have to have a little bit of gas and the RPM will be around 3k. Well there is a slight drone around 80mph, good news... it's really not that bad. Certainly not deafening or really loud. But you do hear a rumble. It's aftermarket and def louder so I guess that's one thing you have to take with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Drifter View Post
Great review PicassoM! ACM is installing the OEM mod on my car in 2 weeks. Stil up in the air on tips. May go with flat black 3.5s. The can will be black. Spoke to ACM and they are working on bolt on test pipes. I will be in line for that when ready.

By the way, nice jet black e92 in your pics
Thanks John! Good luck with the install, it will def be louder than it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meko View Post
Personally I don't understand the point in coating the muffler, can anyone explain?