BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Varis wing vs apr wing question

Hi! I tried to search for varis wing review, but couldnt find any.

I wanted to get a wing for track, and my main concern is if those huge wings dont hold the car too much rather than giving downforce only. Because honestly, those wings are the size of F1 cars and with only 411 hp, for me it doesnt make sense, so I wanted some feedbacks of time reduced.

In my opinion, it seems that the gts wing would be enough?

Another question is if varis wing is proven to be better than Apr.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
APR is the only proven track wing I would run. You adjust the amount of angle depending on the type of track to give you more or less downforce.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 04:42 AM   #3
Casey@RWE
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

We have put a lot of APR GT250 wings on cars with excellent results. As for how they compare to the Varis, I can't say as we have never tried one. Though on average, we see about a 2 second drop at Buttonwillow with a 67" GT250 and a talented driver. The front will tend to feel a little loose with just a wing in the back so I usually recommend adding both a splitter and a wing at the same time to help keep the car balanced. With a 5+ inch splitter and a GT250 we average 3.5 seconds at buttonwillow and the results have been pretty consistent over many cars with different set ups and drivers. I'm pretty sure we have installed and tested more GT250 wings on M3's than anyone, if you have any questions feel free to give us a call at (818) 802-7327

-Casey
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

Quick and dirty:

F1 wings are actually quite narrow span-wise. The larger the span (width), the less angle of attack (AOA) you need to run for the same amount of downforce. Typically the lower the AOA, the less drag you have. So a wide wing will have a better lift to drag (L/D) ratio than a narrower wing with more AOA.

So, wider & less angle of attack = less drag for the same downforce = faster.

I think the GT250 is a better wing than the Varis.

Appreciate 2
      06-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey@RWE View Post
We have put a lot of APR GT250 wings on cars with excellent results. As for how they compare to the Varis, I can't say as we have never tried one. Though on average, we see about a 2 second drop at Buttonwillow with a 67" GT250 and a talented driver. The front will tend to feel a little loose with just a wing in the back so I usually recommend adding both a splitter and a wing at the same time to help keep the car balanced. With a 5+ inch splitter and a GT250 we average 3.5 seconds at buttonwillow and the results have been pretty consistent over many cars with different set ups and drivers. I'm pretty sure we have installed and tested more GT250 wings on M3's than anyone, if you have any questions feel free to give us a call at (818) 802-7327

-Casey
thanks a lot for the comments.

How about the gts wing? Useless?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 05:27 AM   #6
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not useless, would probably pick up a second or more with the GTS wing. It's just not as efficient as a proper GT-style wing. But if the GTS' looks outweigh an increase in drag (which will still net a benefit in lap time, but not as much as a big wing) then go for that tradeoff.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 01:02 AM   #7
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
Not useless, would probably pick up a second or more with the GTS wing. It's just not as efficient as a proper GT-style wing. But if the GTS' looks outweigh an increase in drag (which will still net a benefit in lap time, but not as much as a big wing) then go for that tradeoff.

+1

It's quite strange to see people say unless a lip is chassis mounted, it doesn't work. Unless a wing is massive, it doesn't work. I asked myself the very first time I would consider aero, what am I looking for? GRIP. How grip can I achieve without aero. I've always enjoyed watching the lap time the GS class car like the M3 Turner or Fall Line run put down without ANY aero. Yet, at the limit, add aero an I'm sure there are 1-2 more second to be had. Quite interesting what a little time spend researching the physics behind aerodynamins make. A british F1 magazine I read earlier this year explained "mechanical" vs "aerodynamic" grip. The suspension setup of these non-aero car car have is quite impressive.
It always boils down to the driver. Most of us who own E9x M3 know what would be consider a fast time for this platform at most track, the difference is all about skill level. Btw, as far the "GTS wing is not effective" that topic as been beaten to deat, there's an oooold thread about that on here. I guess some of us who didnt do the R & D have to give guys who do a little credit:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431427
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 01:13 AM   #8
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Here's another one I enjoyed earlier this year. I got a kick out this seasoned pro racers reaction to the results :-))

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._track_retest/
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
We prefer the APR wing and are also an authorized reseller for APR. Here's a few of our projects:

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #10
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
+1

It's quite strange to see people say unless a lip is chassis mounted, it doesn't work. Unless a wing is massive, it doesn't work. I asked myself the very first time I would consider aero, what am I looking for? GRIP. How grip can I achieve without aero. I've always enjoyed watching the lap time the GS class car like the M3 Turner or Fall Line run put down without ANY aero. Yet, at the limit, add aero an I'm sure there are 1-2 more second to be had. Quite interesting what a little time spend researching the physics behind aerodynamins make. A british F1 magazine I read earlier this year explained "mechanical" vs "aerodynamic" grip. The suspension setup of these non-aero car car have is quite impressive.
It always boils down to the driver. Most of us who own E9x M3 know what would be consider a fast time for this platform at most track, the difference is all about skill level. Btw, as far the "GTS wing is not effective" that topic as been beaten to deat, there's an oooold thread about that on here. I guess some of us who didnt do the R & D have to give guys who do a little credit:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431427
GS M3s DO have a rear wing that makes a big difference. Probably less than a second, but greatly increases rear grip and tire longevity which is key to winning races. The M3 never won anything until they got that wing on the E92.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #11
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
We prefer the APR wing and are also an authorized reseller for APR. Here's a few of our projects:

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help.
Tom,

Which front splitter is on the #20 car?
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0