BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

06-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
max08e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Longevity of leather?

I have only had my car for a couple months, and have already noticed the seats starting to get scratched up and begin to fade...is there anything available to help protect this? Or is my only option to stick it out? I really would not like to put a cover over the seat, as my interior is fox red...I know that with the previous m3's the seats didn't hold up as well either, though the m5's tend to do a better job...Has anyone else begun to notice this as well? thanks for any input
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
yannisv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 320i

Garage List
2007 320i  [0.00]
Your best option is to apply a good leather care product on your Novillo Fox Red leather. I would advise you not to put seat covers for you are running a risk of getting the colour of the cover on your seats.
I use BMW leather care or Autoglym Leather care on my seats by the way..

Toyo Proxes T1R //M3 260 wheels//BMW Performance Footrest//BMW Performance Pedals//M3 Carbon Leather Trim//M3 steering//M3 Novillo Fox Red leather//Μ3 leather handbrake handle//M3 boot spoiler//M3 gearknob //M door sills //Chrome kidney grilles//Aero lip spoiler//LUX H8 LED angel eyes//K&N Air Filter//E92 LCI tails
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Yep, dry leather damages much easier. Leather is always dry from the factory, especially if the car sat for any length of time at the dealer, like many of our cars did. Once the leather is fully conditioned (it might take a few applications), you only have to do it a few times a year, but more during summer, since heat dehydrates the leather much quicker.

Finally, you chose the worst color for longevity, so will have to be on top of the conditioning. And also DON'T RUB while getting in and out of the car, if you want it to look nice longer. Just lever yourself in and out of the car without rubbing on the bolsters. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Kitsune
BMW Freshman
United_States
Rep
Drives: (Soon) '10 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Yep, dry leather damages much easier. Leather is always dry from the factory, especially if the car sat for any length of time at the dealer, like many of our cars did. Once the leather is fully conditioned (it might take a few applications), you only have to do it a few times a year, but more during summer, since heat dehydrates the leather much quicker.

Finally, you chose the worst color for longevity, so will have to be on top of the conditioning. And also DON'T RUB while getting in and out of the car, if you want it to look nice longer. Just lever yourself in and out of the car without rubbing on the bolsters. Hope this helps.
What would you consider, in order, the best to worst colors for leather care?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Kdawgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 space grey

Can't speak for fox red as I have black, But the Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner have kept my seats in perfect conditon.
      06-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
max08e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Thank you for the input, i believe my car was sitting at the dealer for a long time so this isn't going to help either!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
CWCary
Rep
Drives: N/A

+1 for Zaino, inside and out!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #8
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Zaino does wonders w/ their leather care.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0