BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #111
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Inorganic is a bitch.

My 2 year cumulative final (that's right guys...2 YEARS of material) is in 3 weeks. 8 hours long, 340 q's. Should be a blast.
wtf 2 years?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #112
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

I think that is ridiculous. Any test longer than 4-5 hours will get you mentally exhausted. There's absolutely no way anyone could sit down and perform well (mentally) for 8 hours in one day.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #113
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Inorganic is a bitch.

My 2 year cumulative final (that's right guys...2 YEARS of material) is in 3 weeks. 8 hours long, 340 q's. Should be a blast.
med school if I recall correctly?
      05-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #114
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Getting the grades back now.

Nervous

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #115
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
med school if I recall correctly?
Correct. I guess you know people in the same boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
I think that is ridiculous. Any test longer than 4-5 hours will get you mentally exhausted. There's absolutely no way anyone could sit down and perform well (mentally) for 8 hours in one day.
It's a standardized exam, so that's part of the purpose. Being able to apply knowledge and think critically for long periods of time is part of what I'll be required to do in the long run.

They give us short breaks after each hour block of questions (I think ~5-10 minutes), so it's not impossible.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #116
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:

It's a standardized exam, so that's part of the purpose. Being able to apply knowledge and think critically for long periods of time is part of what I'll be required to do in the long run.

They give us short breaks after each hour block of questions (I think ~5-10 minutes), so it's not impossible.
Nah I just thought I remember you mentioning med school somewhere, what will you be specializing in?
      05-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #117
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
lol that sounds like what my courseload was senior year, no adderall here...
Only a few more classes left..
Quote:

uslme? Sister said it wasn't as bad as she expected when she took it lol

good luck
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #118
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Great, good for you.

This is where you sound like a egotistical douchebag. For you, staying up all night before a test would be stupid. For others, myself included, it works. Considering the goal is to score the highest one can on whatever the test is, staying up the night is not doing anything wrong. It's providing more time to reinforce concepts, formula's, processes, what have you.

Thinking these people are doing something wrong, or are stupid, or "lesser" is a complete miscalculation on your part. Everyone has their own style of learning, and being able to recognize what works best is a form of intelligence and self awareness, rather than one of inferiority. Is someone who heard something 3 months ago and can repeat it exactly smarter than someone who can't? Not unless you want to start crowning autistic people some of the smartest and most capable people around.

Live and let live. The only reason you're hating is because of you're own insecurities and inferiority complexes. I've not once hated on someone who got 8hrs of sleep before a test and did better than I did. And for someone to actually try to infer some sort of intellectual superiority because of such is really just digging their own "intellectual" grave by confirming their ignorance or lack of acknowledgment of methods of learning contrary to their own.
I'm just here to point out Brian's typo.
      05-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #119
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Honestly on the fence about med school. And need to make up my mind by the beginning of next semester. It's coming down to me not being a fan of signing away the next 6-8 years of my life. Obviously if it's what I wanted to do whole-heartedly, I wouldn't be deciding.

Almost done with my physics B.S. but doubt I'll go on to grad school for it, just not very interested...

That leaves me with what, double major undergrad, then go on for an MBA or MS in econ/engineering to make a good job a decent possibility?

anyone go through this? what helped you decide?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #120
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Honestly on the fence about med school. And need to make up my mind by the beginning of next semester. It's coming down to me not being a fan of signing away the next 6-8 years of my life. Obviously if it's what I wanted to do whole-heartedly, I wouldn't be deciding.

Almost done with my physics B.S. but doubt I'll go on to grad school for it, just not very interested...

That leaves me with what, double major undergrad, then go on for an MBA or MS in econ/engineering to make a good job a decent possibility?

anyone go through this? what helped you decide?
doesn't sound like med school is for you, IMO
      05-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #121
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
doesn't sound like med school is for you. your heart truly has to be in it, or you won't make it through.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I can pretty easily handle the undergrad classes without being 'in it' but know that won't be the case later on.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #122
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I can pretty easily handle the undergrad classes without being 'in it' but know that won't be the case later on.
it's too much work to just be 'in it' and go thorugh the motions. remember, you are devoting your life to a career helping people, it's not just about the books. picture yourself doing that.
      05-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #123
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Its not worth it if you're not into it. You devote your time and spend years, even the rest of your life, learning to be good at it. You need to love it. Theres no point in doing it if you dont want to be the best at it IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #124
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
it's too much work to just be 'in it' and go thorugh the motions. remember, you are devoting your life to a career helping people, it's not just about the books. picture yourself doing that.
It's a huge privilege and something I know I'd enjoy career-wise. I won't be going through med school 'to get through' if I commit, I'll be there 100%; its just committing the rest of my life to something I'm having a hard time with...

Some kids decide they're going into medicine before they pick their undergrad school. No way would I believe that they 'love it' at that stage
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #125
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

i chose medicine before i entered my first year of college. i've always been a very inquisitive and observational person by nature. i also have always loved science and medicine. i would love to have enough knowledge of those two things to help people. honestly, even after 4 years of college, i never once doubted my choice.
      05-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #126
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
i chose medicine before i entered my first year of college. i've always been a very inquisitive and observational person by nature. i also have always loved science and medicine. i would love to have enough knowledge of those two things to help people. honestly, even after 4 years of college, i never once doubted my choice.
Sound logic, seems like you have your course set. Good luck if you're waiting to hear back from schools.

Maybe I'm just too selfish...need to take money/time completely out of the equation and see where I end up.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #127
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It's a huge privilege and something I know I'd enjoy career-wise. I won't be going through med school 'to get through' if I commit, I'll be there 100%; its just committing the rest of my life to something I'm having a hard time with...

Some kids decide they're going into medicine before they pick their undergrad school. No way would I believe that they 'love it' at that stage
You've already gotten some good advice, but I'll throw my experience into the mix.

I was in a similar situation as you around junior year of college - liked the idea of going into medicine, but wasn't sure if I was committed to the whole process.

I was a finance major, so I decided to work for a while and then compare that to my experiences of shadowing docs and doing research. After working for a while, I enjoyed making a few bucks, but I realized that something major was missing; as cheesy as it sounds, I just didn't feel fulfilled by crunching numbers and making powerpoint presentations (I was an analyst). Some people enjoy it, but I felt that if I continued down that path, my life would be lacking purpose.

So, I switched back to the MD track, applied and got into medical school, and so far I absolutely love it. But be warned: it's not an easy path, and it will really tax you and stress you to your breaking point. You need to be comfortable with knowing that you'll spend the prime of your life in a library or in the wards, while your friends are busy making money and partying.

The best advice I can give you is get as much exposure as you can. Volunteer, shadow a doc, whatever you can manage. If you're still not convinced, do something else. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #128
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Only a few more classes left..

uslme? Sister said it wasn't as bad as she expected when she took it lol

good luck
Thanks. Yeah, it's Step 1. I'll just be relieved when it's over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Nah I just thought I remember you mentioning med school somewhere, what will you be specializing in?
Not sure as this point - just no surgery.

Last edited by Echo M3; 05-16-2011 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #129
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Also remember that there are many different paths you can take in medicine besides being an MD. I always knew I wanted to be in medicine but didn't for a second think I wanted to be an MD. I want to have my cake and eat it too.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #130
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Also remember that there are many different paths you can take in medicine besides being an MD. I always knew I wanted to be in medicine but didn't for a second think I wanted to be an MD. I want to have my cake and eat it too.
yes, there are the MD/DO paths...which have differing philosophies and slightly different modalities (i.e. OMM for the DO's), but i think the end result is equal. both physicians are equally capable and work well with one another in the field.
      05-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #131
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
yes, there are the MD/DO paths...which have differing philosophies and slightly different modalities (i.e. OMM for the DO's), but i think the end result is equal. both physicians are equally capable and work well with one another in the field.
Yeah. We have DOs at my school. I am talking about completely different fields within medicine though. I chose optometry. I like the idea of it being medical as well as being a business. Also, the idea of being able to actually work 40hr work weeks and not spend the next 20yrs in school working towards something is pretty great. I love the field. Very rewarding and challenging.

Also, podiatry. Its pretty awesome. I've got a few friends in the program. Very interesting field.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #132
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Yeah. We have DOs at my school. I am talking about completely different fields within medicine though. I chose optometry. I like the idea of it being medical as well as being a business. Also, the idea of being able to actually work 40hr work weeks and not spend the next 20yrs in school working towards something is pretty great. I love the field. Very rewarding and challenging.

Also, podiatry. Its pretty awesome. I've got a few friends in the program. Very interesting field.
true, many other facets to medicine as well beyond the MD/DO degrees..