BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
waldron80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 6MT

2nd to 3rd gear grind under high rpm???

Interesting thing started happening today....When running hard and shifting from 2nd to 3rd under WOT and high RPM it will almost seem like I miss 2nd to 3rd shift. It happen maybe 1 out of 2h0 times.

Car has 120k miles. I put in a Stage 1 Spec clutch 3000 miles ago. I'm running redline D4 ATF.

Any of you guys hear of this before?

Thanks
      09-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Not sure if this applies to bimmers but on my old 5spd Eagle Talon TSI AWD it would grind 1-2, 3-4 under WOT @ high RPM because the the clutch fork wasnt pushing the pressure plate enough so its as if the clutch was never disengaging between shifts.

If i was you I would check your clutch fluid first, bleed the whole system and see if the problem still persists.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
waldron80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah....I was thinking about that as well....I did bleed the clutch pretty well a few weeks ago but I'm wondering if maybe after driving hard that all the mechanics just don't work as well (Master Cylinder, Slave Cylinder, High RPM, Added force with the after market pressure plate, fluid temp, etc) and occasionally this happens. Like I said it only happen every once in a while. Otherwise it is smooth as butter.

Thanks for your response.
      09-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I never had the grinding between gears issue but I couldn't change gears when driven very hard on the track, even double clutching didn't work. The only variable that track day was the same redline ATF.

Spoke to a few hardcore Porsche track guys and they had issues with the Redline stuff as well. I went back to OEM stuff and pulled off the small metal deflector on the tranny cooler. worked for me..

What fluid did you use before the clutch was replaced?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
waldron80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidle323 View Post
I never had the grinding between gears issue but I couldn't change gears when driven very hard on the track, even double clutching didn't work. The only variable that track day was the same redline ATF.

Spoke to a few hardcore Porsche track guys and they had issues with the Redline stuff as well. I went back to OEM stuff and pulled off the small metal deflector on the tranny cooler. worked for me..

What fluid did you use before the clutch was replaced?
I was using the same redline fluid BUT I am way better at driving this car now than I was several months ago. The bad clutch I replaced was probably hiding this or preventing this from happening. The new Spec clutch is ON or OFF which I love.

I'm probably going to try some OEM fluid and see what happens. That stuff is just so expensive. BUT... if it works it works.

Thanks guys.
      09-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

I use the synchromax from Royal Purple or the syncromesh from Penzoil in manual transmissions.

I've had good luck with that fluid.

I will say that I've driven manuals for years and this car requires a much slower engagement from one gear to the next to avoid grinding.

Last edited by douglee25; 09-10-2015 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
waldron80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to post an update...

Replaced both master and slave cylinders and feel was greatly improved.

Mileage on clutch and fluid has also greatly improved performance.

I heard/read once that a little mileage on your tranny fluid actually is important which I'm starting to believe.

Additionally....I've read many comments and done many searched on grinding gears in our cars and this is actually more common than I thought. When our cars are in high rpm range the chances of grinding does increase apparently.

In my case my frequency was too common and was greatly reduced by replacing my master and slave cylinder to almost a none issue. If it does happen it seems to be a driver error now.
      07-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldron80
Interesting thing started happening today....When running hard and shifting from 2nd to 3rd under WOT and high RPM it will almost seem like I miss 2nd to 3rd shift. It happen maybe 1 out of 2h0 times.

Car has 120k miles. I put in a Stage 1 Spec clutch 3000 miles ago. I'm running redline D4 ATF.

Any of you guys hear of this before?

Thanks
Worn blocker rings in the synchronizer assembly's. It may be time for a transmission rebuild or a new trans. Which ever is cheaper.
      07-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
thedge9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 MT

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///Madd View Post
Worn blocker rings in the synchronizer assembly's. It may be time for a transmission rebuild or a new trans. Which ever is cheaper.

It may just be me but the 3rd gears synchromesh seems to be the most vulnerable. Its more likely to happen at high RPM because of differential in the shaft speeds. See if it goes away with double clutching. If it does its likely the mesh.